Bearn Card Holder - seeking advice

OzSplannie

Chanel Polish Addict
O.G.
Sep 5, 2012
Morning lovely Ladies (and Gentleman:smile: ),

Could anyone kindly share their experiences with Bearn mini card holder? I’m currently using my Chanel caviar card holder and it’s been replacing a full size wallet for me. I find that a small card holder with some space for bank notes and a few card slots is a much better option for me these days than bulky full size wallets.

Im looking for a new replacement and am curious about Bearn card holder. I would have liked to look at one in-store, but they seem to be quite hard to get by.

Specifically I’m wondering how many card can you fit in it? Is there room for some bank notes? Is the leather latch easy to fasten/unfasten (or does it become annoying over time)? Also, is it significantly smaller in size compared to Bearn mini wallet (the one that has coin pouch on one side)?

Many thanks in advance for your kind advice.

IMG_6412.JPG
I bought this one in December and it’s still pristine in epsom, a leather that becomes softer in use. It becomes easier to close with time.

This is my favourite cardcase, have 3 and use one daily. I don’t carry so many cards, about 3-4, but fold a couple of bills and 2 business cards. I also have 2 mini Bearn wallets with coin pouch, but actually prefer the cardcase. The leathers I have are epsom and chevre.

The mini Bearn cardcase and wallet with coin pouch are the same size. There is a mini bearn wallet with a zipper that is larger.

Last edited:
OzPlannie
I quite agree with your first paragraph, a cardholder that can take a few notes is really useful.
I would prefer something fitted like the Bearn but without any fastening that just folds over.
The Calvi might seem an obvious alternative, but I rarely use mine in that way.
Have you considered an MC2 Copernic? They are quite slim.

Reactions: OzSplannie
I often use my Bearn cardholders as wallets. I had a chèvre one for many years then switched to Epsom. I have four cards I carry two in each of the first pockets on either side and I’ll put bills folded in half in the larger pockets behind. Works for me and I don’t have a problem opening the leather tab. I really prefer the Bearn to a Calvi.

Reactions: OzSplannie
The Bearn card holder is beautiful but I much prefer the Calvi card case without fastening the tab. The Calvi holds more cards and is easier to access because it is more structured. The Bearn card holder is a little more floppy even in epsom. If you are set on the Bearn, I personally think the Bearn compact wallet (with coins compartment) is of better value. HTH.

View attachment 4358368
I bought this one in December and it’s still pristine in epsom, a leather that becomes softer in use. It becomes easier to close with time.

This is my favourite cardcase, have 3 and use one daily. I don’t carry so many cards, about 3-4, but fold a couple of bills and 2 business cards. I also have 2 mini Bearn wallets with coin pouch, but actually prefer the cardcase. The leathers I have are epsom and chevre.

The mini Bearn cardcase and wallet with coin pouch are the same size. There is a mini bearn wallet with a zipper that is larger.

Thank you very much for your feedback and the photo. I didn’t realise the card holder and the mini wallet are the same size. Having said that, I don’t usually carry any coins around, so would definitely prefer an extra slot for my cards to a coin pouch.

How do you find the little leather flap? Is it useful or is it annoying for every day use?

OzPlannie
I quite agree with your first paragraph, a cardholder that can take a few notes is really useful.
I would prefer something fitted like the Bearn but without any fastening that just folds over.
The Calvi might seem an obvious alternative, but I rarely use mine in that way.
Have you considered an MC2 Copernic? They are quite slim.

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I’m a little worried about the flap as I just want to be able to have quick access to my cards. Also, my current Chanel card holder has an open compartment for bank notes, which allows me to “stuff” quite a few notes in, so im wondering if the flap will limit how much stuff you can pack into a Bearn.

I had a look at Copernic, but it’s more of a gents wallet. I like card holders because they easily fit into my small bags (like Constance and Chanel mini flaps) and leave room for other stuff. But thank you for suggesting it, it definitely made me look again at MC2 Copernic

Have you considered the Hermes Calvi card holder. I have several in different colors it holds several cards and you can fold bills and place in as well. It has replaced full sized wallets for me.

I did think about Calvi. To be honest, I purchased Bastia a few months ago and was a bit disappointed with myself for not doing more reasearch and opting for a Calvi instead. Bastia doesn’t quite work for me as it doesn’t fit my Visa card. Having said that, I am not too impressed with the overall design of Bastia. It’s so thin and I carry a fair bit of stuff. I think Bearn will be a sturdier option. I am concerned that Calvi will just go out of shape and disintegrate quickly once I put all my cards in and add a few notes.

I often use my Bearn cardholders as wallets. I had a chèvre one for many years then switched to Epsom. I have four cards I carry two in each of the first pockets on either side and I’ll put bills folded in half in the larger pockets behind. Works for me and I don’t have a problem opening the leather tab. I really prefer the Bearn to a Calvi.

The Bearn card holder is beautiful but I much prefer the Calvi card case without fastening the tab. The Calvi holds more cards and is easier to access because it is more structured. The Bearn card holder is a little more floppy even in epsom. If you are set on the Bearn, I personally think the Bearn compact wallet (with coins compartment) is of better value. HTH.

Thank you Ladies,

Ah it really seems like a matter of personal preference. It really is a shame Bearn is so hard to come by. I would like to have a play with it first, before getting my SA to order one for me. I always thought Bearn will be sturdier than Calvi, but now I’m having second thoughts.

I did think about Calvi. To be honest, I purchased Bastia a few months ago and was a bit disappointed with myself for not doing more reasearch and opting for a Calvi instead. Bastia doesn’t quite work for me as it doesn’t fit my Visa card. Having said that, I am not too impressed with the overall design of Bastia. It’s so thin and I carry a fair bit of stuff. I think Bearn will be a sturdier option. I am concerned that Calvi will just go out of shape and disintegrate quickly once I put all my cards in and add a few notes.

My husband and I have had several calvis between us, and he uses a barenia one instead of a wallet. I have to say it holds up amazingly. It hasn’t gone out of shape at all and he’s pretty rough with it, ie putting it in his jeans and pant pockets. HTH!

I recently switched from a Chanel wallet to the Bearn mini cardholder. I LOVE this little wallet. I must do things a little different. I have a TON of cards in my Bearn... i literally jam it full. There are essentially 4 compartments. Each one can hold 4 easy. I have 2 cards in one compartment, bills (folded) in the compartment behind the 2 cards. On the other side I have a Total of 10 cards! I could Probably fit more. I prefer this design to the Calvi because of the little dividers. I can Keep my important cards in the front ( ID and Amex) and the rest behind. I also Didn’t like that with the Calvi, when you open it up the cards can go sliding if it’s not full. The Bearn is very tricky to find here (US)... but every one in awhile it will pop up online. Or your SA can track one down and bring it in. I love Mine though and am sooo happy with it.. even though it’s in Epsom (not usually a fan of Epsom)

Attachments

• DEFADCDA-9B78-4BDF-B4BE-52D28F96C31E.jpeg
    DEFADCDA-9B78-4BDF-B4BE-52D28F96C31E.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 365
Reactions: foxyqt and Serva1
Assuming that the rules for return are the same in US as in Europe.

You could always look for the Bearn online and order it should one appear.
Then you could check it out in the privacy of your own home.
If you like it, you could keep it. (Especially as you think they are hard to come by)
If it does not match your requirements, you could return it.
If you really want to buy one in the boutique, you could return it and then ask your SA to order one in for you with confidence.

p.s. MC2 is from the men's range
Cards are quite loose in a Calvi
Calvi is a lot more robust than it might appear

Thank you very much for your feedback and the photo. I didn’t realise the card holder and the mini wallet are the same size. Having said that, I don’t usually carry any coins around, so would definitely prefer an extra slot for my cards to a coin pouch.

How do you find the little leather flap? Is it useful or is it annoying for every day use?

The leather flap slides under the H closure and in the beginning it’s a bit stiff but with time it get easier. I love cardcases, have MC2 Euclides and Calvis but the mini Bearn, especially this model, is my favourite.

The Calvis come in a rainbow of colours, easy to combine with a handbag in the same leather. The verso options are fun, I have a Calvi with fauve barenia and blue safir chevre interior.

With the beautiful H closure I find the mini bearn a bit more luxurious when comparing to a Calvi, but nowadays there are Calvis available in alligator which would be lovely to have. Stacking cards on top of eachother isn’t my cup of tea. I have a Dogon cardcase for loyalty cards& café coffey cards.

My MC2 Euclides are very slim and in alligator, barenia and epsom.They take the smallest space so I mainly use them when travelling.

Good luck deciding, hope you find the perfect Hermès cardcase that works for you. I need several options, leathers and colours because I choose them when I carry different bags. Love cardcases!

Last edited: