Bead Earrings - Tiffany vs Blue Nile

Blossy

Dec 30, 2012
So the Blue Nile sterling bead earrings are $50, vs $170 for Tiffany. And the yellow gold version (though admittedly 14k rather than 18k) are $110.

What do you think? Would you buy Blue Nile or Tiffany?

Blossy said:
So the Blue Nile sterling bead earrings are $50, vs $170 for Tiffany. And the yellow gold version (though admittedly 14k rather than 18k) are $110.

What do you think? Would you buy Blue Nile or Tiffany?

Blue niles

I'm thinking so. For a simple, basic piece I'm wondering if I'm better off saving the money so it can go towards a more interesting piece later.

But not sure. I want to build by very small collection (all from mall chain jewellers) into a nicer, quality collection so unsure if I should limit myself to certain brands or not.

Sterling silver is sterling silver no matter where you go. The bead earrings are essentially a ball of silver on a silver post. From anywhere, they would be identical. To be honest, I wouldn't even spend the $50. I bought a pair online for $11 and have been wearing them pretty much every day for 2 years and they still look perfect. When buying such a simple piece, consider the approximate cost of the material compared to what you are paying. Don't pay too much for the brand.

For such a simple style, I'd say Blue Nile as well. I admire Tiffany for their craftsmanship, but a silver ball is a silver ball. It requires little design effort and I dare say the quality will be similar enough.

Sterling silver is sterling silver no matter where you go. The bead earrings are essentially a ball of silver on a silver post. From anywhere, they would be identical. To be honest, I wouldn't even spend the $50. I bought a pair online for $11 and have been wearing them pretty much every day for 2 years and they still look perfect. When buying such a simple piece, consider the approximate cost of the material compared to what you are paying. Don't pay too much for the brand.

I'm sort of thinking the same is true of all Tiffamy silver... yet I still want the blue box, aaahh!!!!

Yep, the blue nile ones look pretty much the same. Gold posts too.

I'm sort of thinking the same is true of all Tiffamy silver... yet I still want the blue box, aaahh!!!!

Yep, the blue nile ones look pretty much the same. Gold posts too.
The cost of most of Tiffany's silver is definitely for the brand, especially their designer pieces. That being said, there is nothing wrong with paying a brand premium when it comes to certain things. Although overpriced, I wouldn't consider their construction or craftsmanship anywhere near mediocre.

I'll be the voice of dissent here. I say Tiffany for resale value. If you ever decide you don't want those no name brand silver ball earrings (or gold earrings) anymore, you would be able to sell them at a garage sale for about $1 ($10 for gold). Just do a quick ebay search of completed items of Tiffany silver ball earrings.

That said, if you are 100% sure you will never, ever grow tired/want to upgrade/change your tastes, then sure, get the generic brand. And let me just say that I have sold about 10 pieces of silver Tiffany pieces I stopped wearing b/c my tastes changed.

I have the Blue Nile. I'd go with theirs. It's a style that could be by anyone, so spending more for designer makes less sense. I have many of their stud earrings and am happy with them. Plus, I like the fact that if I lost one I could reorder. I'd rather save my money for other, more personal/unique items.