Beacon collection (August 2018) on Dooney.com

Hi!
Just left Macy's at the Galleria at Sunset to check out their VIP Sale. I finally saw the Beacon CBB in real life. I like the size of it, but I'm not sure if it's the bag that replaces my Belvedere Ambler. I was hoping to keep my phone in the front outside pocket but the pocket is too small for my phone. It will fit my card case with my Clipper Card, or a little change and bills. But I really wanted the option to be able to grab my phone out of that pocket. My phone will fit in the long slip pocket inside, which could work so I don't have to dig for it.
My biggest concern was the leather. I took a picture of the black bag to show there is some sort of white spot on it. It looks like dust or powder, but it does not come off or rub off with your hand. I tried. It may easily come off with leather cleaner or a baby wipe, but I'm thinking I may have to be more careful with this leather than I am with the Belvedere line. I've been able to rub out ink marks twice and easily clean it with Cottonelle wipes. I think the Beacon leather will stain if you wipe it with a baby wipe. The black bag also had two very small marks in the leather, like it got scratched with something sharp.
View attachment 4195811 View attachment 4195812
That white mark is awful! I'm not a fan of smooth leather because it is easy to scratch. I know I could not rub out the scratches on an Emerson display bag in Macys. I love the style and the look of Beacon but I don't want to be paranoid about every move I make while carrying that bag. It is definitely a personal choice as some feel marks on a bag are representative of enjoying your bag.

Reactions: RuedeNesle
Hi!
Just left Macy's at the Galleria at Sunset to check out their VIP Sale. I finally saw the Beacon CBB in real life. I like the size of it, but I'm not sure if it's the bag that replaces my Belvedere Ambler. I was hoping to keep my phone in the front outside pocket but the pocket is too small for my phone. It will fit my card case with my Clipper Card, or a little change and bills. But I really wanted the option to be able to grab my phone out of that pocket. My phone will fit in the long slip pocket inside, which could work so I don't have to dig for it.
My biggest concern was the leather. I took a picture of the black bag to show there is some sort of white spot on it. It looks like dust or powder, but it does not come off or rub off with your hand. I tried. It may easily come off with leather cleaner or a baby wipe, but I'm thinking I may have to be more careful with this leather than I am with the Belvedere line. I've been able to rub out ink marks twice and easily clean it with Cottonelle wipes. I think the Beacon leather will stain if you wipe it with a baby wipe. The black bag also had two very small marks in the leather, like it got scratched with something sharp.
View attachment 4195811 View attachment 4195812
RN: thanks for the info. I love the look of the Beacon leather, but I share your concerns about how log it will look pristine. The look reminds me of the Alto line, which I love. But I don't consider leather like that to be easy wear every day handbags.

As for the white mark, no telling what it was..... glue, hand lotion, ice cream ???? The sales associates should have noticed and taken it off the floor and tried to clean it up. And we don't know how the leather will react to any attempts to clean it.

That white mark is awful! I'm not a fan of smooth leather because it is easy to scratch. I know I could not rub out the scratches on an Emerson display bag in Macys. I love the style and the look of Beacon but I don't want to be paranoid about every move I make while carrying that bag. It is definitely a personal choice as some feel marks on a bag are representative of enjoying your bag.
Hi BB!
Yes, that's my concern also. When I'm in SF on the weekends I'm sometimes on crowded buses, and my bag rubs against other people or the poles or seats if I have to stand, or when I'm trying to get off the bus. When I'm home in Oakland during the week, I'm driving my three grandchildren to school and back. Usually my bag ends up on the floor in the back, under backpacks or someone's feet because one of them accidentally knocked my bag off the middle..."thing" between the front seats. I need to carry a bag that can withstand a normal day in my life, which means it can't easily scratch and it has be to easy to clean. Except for the month of July, when I switched to the Aimee K snake embossed CBB (liked it, but missed carrying Ambler), I've been carrying My Belvedere Ambler every day since she arrived on March 7th. And she still looks as good as new!

Reactions: BaguetteBlonde
Hi BB!
Yes, that's my concern also. When I'm in SF on the weekends I'm sometimes on crowded buses, and my bag rubs against other people or the poles or seats if I have to stand, or when I'm trying to get off the bus. When I'm home in Oakland during the week, I'm driving my three grandchildren to school and back. Usually my bag ends up on the floor in the back, under backpacks or someone's feet because one of them accidentally knocked my bag off the middle..."thing" between the front seats. I need to carry a bag that can withstand a normal day in my life, which means it can't easily scratch and it has be to easy to clean. Except for the month of July, when I switched to the Aimee K snake embossed CBB (liked it, but missed carrying Ambler), I've been carrying My Belvedere Ambler every day since she arrived on March 7th. And she still looks as good as new!
Having 16 grandchildren I can relate and empathize with your need to keep your bags from harm while you go about your daily life. The Ambler is great. I love her. I am not an advocate of the new Beacon line. It might work for some but, for me, I need less worry in my life not more and worrying about my bag is something I don’t need. On the other hand some people think scratches lend to the bag”s character. I wish I could feel that way about my possessions but, so far, I still anal.

RN: thanks for the info. I love the look of the Beacon leather, but I share your concerns about how log it will look pristine. The look reminds me of the Alto line, which I love. But I don't consider leather like that to be easy wear every day handbags.

As for the white mark, no telling what it was..... glue, hand lotion, ice cream ???? The sales associates should have noticed and taken it off the floor and tried to clean it up. And we don't know how the leather will react to any attempts to clean it.
Hi LJ!
You're welcome! Thanks for your comparison to the Alto line! I couldn't think of what it reminded me of but I knew I saw bags with similar leather.
As I was walking toward the bag the spot looked like paint. When I got closer it looked liked maybe it rubbed against a white wall, or maybe someone used something to clean it and the spot came as a result of that. (Does that make sense? Maybe they tried to clean a spot with a wipe that contained alcohol and it left a white mark.) However it got there it was enough to scare me away from it.

Having 16 grandchildren I can relate and empathize with your need to keep your bags from harm while you go about your daily life. The Ambler is great. I love her. I am not an advocate of the new Beacon line. It might work for some but, for me, I need less worry in my life not more and worrying about my bag is something I don’t need. On the other hand some people think scratches lend to the bag”s character. I wish I could feel that way about my possessions but, so far, I still anal.
16 grandchildren! :heart: I hope you're able to spend as much time as you (want to!:biggrin:) can with each of them!

I used to call the flaws or scratches on my bags "beauty marks" so they wouldn't bother me. But that really only worked when the "beauty mark" was very small or somewhere inconspicuous, like the bottom or the back. I was at my bank about a month ago. While I was talking to the banker about a very important issue I hit my bag with my pen and got a small mark on it. I immediately got my wipes out my bag and started rubbing the ink mark until it came out. It wasn't until I was done and she asked me if I got it out, that I realized I had stopped listening to her and went straight to triage my bag! :lol: But I got it out!

Reactions: christinemliu
16 grandchildren! :heart: I hope you're able to spend as much time as you (want to!:biggrin:) can with each of them!

I used to call the flaws or scratches on my bags "beauty marks" so they wouldn't bother me. But that really only worked when the "beauty mark" was very small or somewhere inconspicuous, like the bottom or the back. I was at my bank about a month ago. While I was talking to the banker about a very important issue I hit my bag with my pen and got a small mark on it. I immediately got my wipes out my bag and started rubbing the ink mark until it came out. It wasn't until I was done and she asked me if I got it out, that I realized I had stopped listening to her and went straight to triage my bag! :lol: But I got it out!
RN: glad you got the ink out. Timing is everything when it comes to stains and ink is one of the worst. Good thing the banker was female... I'm sure she understood completely. :smile:

Ivana's video describes the white marks on the black bags better than I could. I'm sharing this because she's in Illinois and saw the same thing on the black Beacon CBB bags at the Macy's she went to that I saw at a Macy's in Vegas. Start at 7 minutes to get to the bag review.

Reactions: DaffodilDuck