Beach Friendly Tote?

That's a good point... I had just kind of been "graduating" to that thought pattern today; maybe a good full grain leather would be just fine. My everyday go-to bags are heavily hardwared or suede or both, so I wouldn't feel comfortable taking them anywhere near sand or salt water hence my search.

I had been looking at Furla's actually; a "good" brand but doesn't break the bank.

Furla is a great value for the money. Mine got badly wet once with salty water that left a white "halo" on the leather. Having nothing to lose i put it in the washer and it came out perfect! I don't recommend it, but i was amazed!

Last edited:
Have you considered Tory Burch?It's a contemporary brand but I think a lot of her everyday totes are suitable as beach totes & they're available in canvas & leather. I went on Etsy & bought a tote from a seller there & had it monogrammed (I was also in the market for a beach tote). It's def not high end but it's super cute, large & sturdy. That aside, TB might be an option.

Hey, Ladies (and any Gents!)...
I'm looking for a beach friendly tote, preferably coated canvas or something similar. To be clear, this is for vacations to beach destinations but not necessarily for continuous beach use. I usually don't hang ON the beach, just on boardwalks and restaurants nearby with daily shorter visits pool or oceanside. So I want it to be something that looks cool on my shoulder but can handle some exposure to sea air and sand.

I'm looking at an MCM coated canvas tote HERE.

I'm not really a fan of LV and I'd like to keep the cost around $500 for this use.
Any other ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions!
I know this isn't nearly as luxurious but Michael's had a great tote I just picked up with the Eiffel Tower on it.

Reactions: zen1965
I'm a huge fan of Longchamp's nylon for the beach, and given the number of them at the resort I'm at, I'd say it's a pretty popular option. The good thing is there are so many colors that I haven't seen two exactly the same yet.

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1463532458.444428.jpg

Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions! I still haven't pulled the trigger on anything. I go back and forth between wanting a tote sized bag or just getting a handbag that would be appropriate for all my non-beach activities and using one of my old no-name totes for beach time. Hmmmmm......

I was looking at the D & B coated leather (Sienna line). There's a pretty tangerine color, but that's against my "nothing too brightly colored" rule. Lol.

I have a Liberty of London tote and really like it. It's coated canvas and seems sturdy. They are brighter colored though.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Liberty-London/Designers/cat57530747/c.cat
Thanks! I had been looking at those actually, but yeah... the colors weren't quite doing it for me.

Furla is a great value for the money. Mine got badly wet once with salty water that left a white "halo" on the leather. Having nothing to lose i put it in the washer and it came out perfect! I don't recommend it, but i was amazed!
This story cracks me up. Sounds like something I would do. And a happy ending too!

I'm a huge fan of Longchamp's nylon for the beach, and given the number of them at the resort I'm at, I'd say it's a pretty popular option. The good thing is there are so many colors that I haven't seen two exactly the same yet.

View attachment 3358289
Longchamp was also on the list and it's still not out of the question. But OTOH, I don't have an every day use for a nylon tote as I'm not a city dweller so I usually don't carry much with me (I drive my car everywhere and I'm never more than 20 minutes from home). Unless I'm work traveling and then I use a work tote.

+1 on cuyana, too, although they tend to have less "beachy" colors IMHO.
I will look at the Cuyana!