Be honest: Do you carry LV for the status?

sparkleD

Nov 13, 2014
When I got my first LV bag, I definitely waited awhile and saved up. One of the main reasons I got it was for status, truthfully. I also liked the design of the bag with the wide opening. It was the tivoli gm. I'm sure when we go to LV to shop we like the items that are picked and are happy to have them. But is status behind it at all? I think a lot of us could say yes. I could honestly. :P

Since clothing and accessories are obviously part of what make us belong in our "tribe", I think it's undeniable that we chose things that carry meaning for us - and therefore for society.

The typical "no, I dress for myself" response is naive and dishonest. Unless of course you live on the moon and never interact with anyone.

I don't know if "status" is the right word though. I think we identify with certain looks and brands, and we wear them as a (conscious or unconscious) way to reinforce our bond with these universes. It's a way to establish and cultivate the visual identity we wish to present to the world.

Since clothing and accessories are obviously part of what make us belong in our "tribe", I think it's undeniable that we chose things that carry meaning for us - and therefore for society.

The typical "no, I dress for myself" response is naive and dishonest. Unless of course you live on the moon and never interact with anyone.

I don't know if "status" is the right word though. I think we identify with certain looks and brands, and we wear them as a (conscious or unconscious) way to reinforce our bond with these universes. It's a way to establish and cultivate the visual identity we wish to present to the world.

This is so well said! I completely agree with all your points.

I treat myself to LV because it makes me feel special. It's something I don't have to "share" (for lack of a better word) with anyone. I can say not for status as I have never seen anyone in my small town wear LV. I have seen 2 ladies at my church in the next town over carry a NF and a bucket bag. No one in my circle knows of or cares about LV except my husband and my daughter and those two have learned from me. But then again my LV is 3 hours away.

For me is my SA that make me keep going back to LV . He understand and know what I like and help me to choose and pick my clothing. The bag just come naturally to compliment the look for the season.

Reactions: prepster
I'll be honest and say I wanted an LV at first because everyone has one in my area. I guess part of it is about fitting in. Part of it is just my love for handbags though. There are others in my area obsessed with fitting in who don't care at all about handbags.

Completely agree, well said!