BBK to buy or not to buy?

should Speedy be naughty?

• Yes. It's in great condition and the price is right!

• Yes. A bit overpriced but it's on your wishlist

• No. Don't rush and put an order through the store

• No. you can get better bargain with other resellers

• No. Save for a future black Croc sellier Kelly ;-)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nov 20, 2013
sigh.. I'm having first world problems. My consignment store has one of the bags on my wishlist. A black box kelly sellier in GHW born in 1996 :loveeyes: in great condition. The price is AUD8500. I don't have any black bags yet and this is a beautiful classic.
I've seen a few less expensive ones on eBay but from international sellers. I would still have to pay extra to get them into Australia.

I feel guilty for wanting another bag after getting a B (gold) & K (sanguine) in the space of 2 weeks in May and purchasing 2 other non-H bags after that. I'm on the list for another B but they don't really tell you how long that would take nor did I get any confirmation yet and I doubt it will be by the end of this year. DH prefers I get it direct from the store but that means I have to wait to get the B first and then request for the Kelly after.

I want to (try) and be thrifty but at the same time can't seem to forget about the bag and have been thinking about it for a week. Hence, this desperate post.
If you're in my position, would you get it?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• kelly me.JPG
    kelly me.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 902
  • kelly.JPG
    kelly.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 896
I bought my vintage BBK a few weeks after I got my birkin. Once the perfect bag comes along just grab it. I was told that box leather is hard to come by these days especially in sellier. In addition, it's better to get a vintage BBK as the bag would have a lovely patina. Hence if you really want a BBK sellier and that this bag sings to you, I'd say go get it. You might just regret it if you don't get it. My two cents here.

You cannot go wrong with a BBK sellier. It's overpriced IMO but I don't know what Australian duties are like. If you love it and you can afford it, buy it :flowers:
ETA on ordering through the store: unless you are a VIP or very lucky, ordering a box Kelly is difficult, and no matter what ordering box items takes time in my experience. If your store has told you you can do this, by all means do, and maybe buy a vintage to see you through. You can always decide when the order comes in which you prefer.

I agree. It seems overpriced but if you absolutely adore it and don't mind dishing out the extra, go for it. It looks like it's in great condition!

Can I be the devil's advocate here? I think the wait at H store is half the fun of "collecting" H items. Plus it gives my money tree the much needed break. I always look at H items (or other luxury items) as "want" goods not "need" goods. I would personally wait...:smile:

As long as you can afford it why not?

I think you would be waiting a long time to get BBK from your store tbh unless you are VIP as QF mentioned and even then if you were able to place the order it could take well over a year. So it's really a matter of patience as with anything concerning H imo. :lol: Personally I would wait as I don't find the price to be that attractive and there are lots of BBKs on the secondary market.

Oh well, the pictures are not showing many details for vintage bag. I am afraid that if the OP is not very familiar with the vintage market, I suggest to wait. There are a lot of vintage BBKs and you can always find one in good condition for similar price plus minus a few hundred dollars. Box leather does vary a bit with the time. There is a thread on that. As long as you have the fund, there is really no rush to get this particular one. If I were the OP, I will take my time to learn the vintage bags first before shoveling out that big chunk of change. To me, it was a very interesting process. HTH

Just a little food for thought:

I think you can do better with the price. I purchased my pre-owned 1993 BBK, in excellent condition, for $2900.

HNN, I think you got a fantastic price for your bag, but you must have purchased it a few years ago, too. Vintage BBK's in good-excellent condition have gone up a lot over the past few years. I think US $5-6K is a more realistic price nowadays, if you are lucky. I've seen bags in the $8K range, but I would not buy them at that price.

I did see a brown box Kelly from a Japanese reseller that went for ~$3K a month or two ago. It sold very quickly on ebay. So, you can get lucky. But it takes patience.

HNN, I think you got a fantastic price for your bag, but you must have purchased it a few years ago, too. Vintage BBK's in good-excellent condition have gone up a lot over the past few years. I think US $5-6K is a more realistic price nowadays, if you are lucky. I've seen bags in the $8K range, but I would not buy them at that price.

I did see a brown box Kelly from a Japanese reseller that went for ~$3K a month or two ago. It sold very quickly on ebay. So, you can get lucky. But it takes patience.

Hi etoupebirkin, I purchased the bag in 2009, and I know I got it for an unusually low price. I think you are right in how the value has increased in the past couple years. I feel very lucky I found mine and purchased it when I did.

Pricewise, if you want a bag in great condition with an Hermès strap, from what I have seen on the current market you are looking at $5K USD and up. If you have $7K to spend you can fairly easily find something really beautiful and nearly pristine. Of course there are exceptions and lucky breaks; also if you don't want a strap it's easier and less money (just remember that if you decide you want one and it must be Hermès, you are in for another chunk of change).
For the OP, again, it depends on Australian import duties. The last time I imported H into the US I was charged 20%, so that can make a big difference.

Pricewise, if you want a bag in great condition with an Hermès strap, from what I have seen on the current market you are looking at $5K USD and up. If you have $7K to spend you can fairly easily find something really beautiful and nearly pristine. Of course there are exceptions and lucky breaks; also if you don't want a strap it's easier and less money (just remember that if you decide you want one and it must be Hermès, you are in for another chunk of change).
For the OP, again, it depends on Australian import duties. The last time I imported H into the US I was charged 20%, so that can make a big difference.
I did not as well. Mine are typically in the range of 6-7 K for good condition with strap. I am waiting for a 28 BBK w/o strap for 5k. The condition was said to be AB. I got a stap from local store for $920 or 960+ tax after a year wait and a canvas one for only $470 from FSH after one yr wait.

On the same note, I almost took a brand new sellier in blue for $7-8 K in FSH back in 2012 due to the weak euro back then. Only god knows why I did not back then, but got so sunk in with the vintage one... I do have a soft spot for vintage kelly sellier...