Bbag as a write off???

NewportJenni

Apr 10, 2006
So last night I was talking to my husband, he is buying a new lap top for work. Ofcourse, its a tax write off. Now I was thinking if you can write that off why not a weekender as a briefcase? If you use it for work, or even school perhaps? Im sure you cant write off all of it, but maybe some? Just wondering if any of you have?

^--- heehee~~~ all I see is an IRS guy knocking on my door......

but yeah- pass the info of the magical tax man.

Maybe there is a similar topic in the money forum....

..........walking away to check............

too funny! I have some friends who get everything written off for being actors, (makeup, hair color, mani/pedi's, clothes, shoes, gas, gym memberships, etc.) But I am too afraid to do that, I do not want an audit.

hahaa.. the title of this thread made me laugh :biggrin:

i wouldn't risk it - work materials are probably only covered up to a certain (reasonable) amount, probably WELL under $500. i got pretty familiar with what you can and can't write off working as a freelancer, and as far as i know it's just basic necessities that are covered, nothing that could be considered a luxury item. but yeah, if you find otherwise, give me the name of your tax guy!! :roflmfao:

Nope you can't write it off. Sorry. Wish we could.

You cannot write off anything as a "uniform" if you can wear it in the "outside" world. :cursing:

"A doctor may deduct the cost of scrubs or lab coat, because they are not suitable for street wear. But an attorney may not deduct the cost of a business suit because it is suitable for ordinary street wear. Likewise a doctor can't deduct the cost of comfortable shoes he wears with his scrubs because the shoes can be worn on the street."
My boyfriend is a dentist and we already asked the tax man about that and this is what we were told. I also read it in one of our tax books, "Tax deductions for Professionals".

"

you could write off your bbags if say you were a handbag designer, and you purchased it as a "sample" for business use. you can then report your sideline business as a sole proprietorship on a schedule c and it would be part of this year's business expenses. that way, it would be a full deduction rather than a partial deduction on the schedule a. it's a stretch though. plus you'd actually have to be a designer in some way, shape, or form.

:yes:
My husband finally let me off the hook for my Balenciaga purchases when we got a nice big write off on every bag I bought! Because of my handbag accessory business, and mainly the braided ones I make for Balenciaga bags, we got to write them off as display items. Yippee! Not the same as the brief case idea, but a huge incentive for my husband not to freak out everytime I buy another bag!
:tup: