Bayswater Zip Tote in store!

Cocorose

Sep 11, 2011
I've seen it and held it!

Thought it my duty to report back. It's a very substantial bag although slightly more compact than the Bays - I'm petite but it didn't dwarf me. The black version is in beautiful silky calfskin like the Willow, whilst the taupe and red are in glossy goat leather which is slightly shiny. There are two zipped compartments at the front and back of the bag so you would keep valuables in there, and there's also an interior zip pocket for keys and a separate front pocket opened by the Turnlock. The main tote is open top with a magnetic fastening like Willow. The straps can be adjusted so if you make them longer you could easily wear the bag over your shoulder. I don't think you would want to keep changing the position of the straps though, as they would mark, but at least you have a choice to begin with. There is a shoulder strap although the SA and I agreed that the bag doesn't look great worn that way.
The quality is excellent, very similar to Willow but feels like a lot more bag - albeit at an extra £250! The Zip Totes are all made in Italy. It's much more structured than the Bayswater, I don't think there is any slouch potential at all and nor would it need a base.

A lovely, lovely handbag for anyone with £1500 to spend. It IS fairly smart, I think it's more of a work bag than a dress- down bag, and for that reason it's probably not for me, but if I was still on the 9 to 5 I'd be seriously tempted.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's opinions on the bag as and when you get to see it! :biggrin:

Thank you for the report! Sounds lovely (although out of my price range I think, at least until the 'well-loved' ones hit the second hand market:cool:

Made in Italy is interesting - I have it at the back of my mind that there have been Italian Mulberry bags before (help - anyone?) although I can't think of any - but I quite like the sound of that, somehow associate Italy with style and quality

I saw it last weekend in Selfridges, didn't like it, much prefer the Prada.

BTW, did anybody hear that Harvey Nichols no longer stock Mulberry?

^
Exactly what I thought! Looks a bit like a Prada bag [can't remember the model name] but unlike you I do like the Bays tote :P

Really?! But I'm sure I saw one there a couple of days ago D: Maybe I was just imagining things, M always on my mind now :P

Oh and if anyone is interested, I asked at Bond Street today and they said that the Primrose should come into stores in August because it's a runway piece. Having said that tho, Selfridges seems to stock bags before M stores themselves stock them? :S For example, I saw the Bays tote in Selfridges last week and apparently they only came into M stores yesterday....

Oh and if anyone is interested, I asked at Bond Street today and they said that the Primrose should come into stores in August because it's a runway piece. Having said that tho, Selfridges seems to stock bags before M stores themselves stock them? :S For example, I saw the Bays tote in Selfridges last week and apparently they only came into M stores yesterday....[/QUOTE]

Selfridges told me that the Zip Tote was exclusive to them till August! Then it arrived in the main stores! they also told me they won't be stocking Primrose but who knows.....Mulberry bond St think that Primrose will be in store within a fortnight. The SA said it is a very traditional-looking bag.

Ohhh many thanks for the feedback! Can you tell me how/where the strap attaches exactly??
I have to examine the zip Bays tote very closely, eventually... in order to get this out of my system one way or the other!

I did notice Mulberry is missing from HN website the other day, thought it's Sales sold out & waiting for the new season - but it's not that then!

Great feedback I like the look of this but it is definitely more of a work bag, it is also very similar to the Aspinal Brook Street :thinking: I think it is definitely one to see irl. I also like the look of the Primrose but that lock looks a bit fiddly to me & also the price :rolleyes:

Ohhh many thanks for the feedback! Can you tell me how/where the strap attaches exactly??
I have to examine the zip Bays tote very closely, eventually... in order to get this out of my system one way or the other!

I did notice Mulberry is missing from HN website the other day, thought it's Sales sold out & waiting for the new season - but it's not that then!

Think the straps are independent of bag and buckle on either side but will be in Westfields later and have a closer look!

I love the look of this bag but the big sticking point for me would be the open top, as I travel mostly by public transport. Fearful of rain and pick-pockets, I'd be cramming everything into the two side zipped compartments, and ruining the line.

I like the taupe colour but not keen on the shininess. It will be interesting to see what colours and leathers come in the next round.

I had another look last night and the straps are fully adjustastable so you can make them fairly short, or long enough to sling over the shoulder like the Bays. there is a separate detachable shoulder strap as well. the zip sections are roomy enough for a big wallet, ipad etc so the main open section could be used for (say) a makeup bag and a book and any other bits. The front turnlock section is less roomy, I'd only use that for documents as I'd be fearful of spoiling the line of the bag.

The best thing about this seasons stock is the fabulous colours. When you walk in the shop and are confronted by that fab red, green and pink its like jumping into a much wanted fruit salad and with the sun shine its even more tempting. Some new stock was deliverd today in Gees Court and the SA hadnt had time to look at it all but when i asked to see the Wristlet Pouch she wasnt sure she had it, then checked the new stock, found it and we both fell in love with it - so cute !

I didn't like the bag when I saw it on the website but I saw it in person at Selfridges a few days ago and I do really like it now. It feels very well made and worth the money, in my opinion. I prefer it to the Prada bag as I don't like the Prada logo and I think it feels better made and more luxurious than the saffiano leather. But now I'm in a dilemma. I can't decide between this and a Willow!