Bayswater v Roxanne

Geddes

O.G.
Nov 2, 2010
Recently i took a liking to two bags, Rosemary and Roxanne.
I bought an oak Rosemary which i adore but i think i would now like a Roxanne.

My quandry is relating to size and use comparing it to my Bayswater....................

My Bayswater, which hardly gets used for various reasons, doesnt sit on my shoulder properly with a coat on, i find it awkward on crook of arm, dont like the thin handles and only really carry it by hand and to be really honest i feel like i should love it but i just dont.
Am i asking for much of the same with a Roxanne apart from the fact i like this one visually ? Is it heavier, more bulky to use ? I dont actually know anyone who has one so i cant compare in reality and apart from images on here i have only seen one or two fleetingly in the street.

Hope this makes sense.

Your question totally makes sense. I had and loved the look of my Roxy but found it eve more bulky, awkward, heavy, uncomfortable and faffy than my bays. In comparison, for me, bays is a dream. I have since sold my Roxy.

Just my opinion, I'm sure many others will totally disagree. I guess the trick is to find one at a great price, try yourself and then move it on if it doesn't work out........

I have a choc Roxy but have to admit I am thinking of letting her go. I too love her look, but in terms of usability, she's difficult to love for me. She is heavy and won't sit on my shoulder comfortably. Her shape means I can't really use her for work as can't fit in papers etc. I do love her but what I'm finding is that I'm just not using her... and my resolution for this year is to make sure my bags are used, not just sitting in my wardrobe!

Hi, I have both my AG Darwin roxanne and my NVT Bays in the kitchen at the mo so thought I'd take some photos of them side by side for you. I love both and tend to carry my roxanne in the crook of my arm, will probably do the same when i take my bays out more. Both you could wear on your shoulder (not with bulky items) I just don't.

Size wise I think they are quite similar, for weight I would say my Darwin roxanne is much heavier than my NVT Bays.

I also tend to have my roxanne with the magnetic clasps to the side and the flaps up almost like a tote...so not fiddly to use. I absolutely love my roxanne and she is always my go to bag.

My Roxanne is an old lady so be kind!!

Attachments

• image-3868845426.jpg
    image-3868845426.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 428
  • image-2275529476.jpg
    image-2275529476.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 427
  • image-2611548298.jpg
    image-2611548298.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 431
Yes Roxanne is fiddly & faffy to use with her flaps & straps but IMO she looks so perfect I forgive her anything !

I have revolutionised the use of mine by adding a shoulder strap thus turning them into giant Rosies .

Yes Roxanne is fiddly & faffy to use with her flaps & straps but IMO she looks so perfect I forgive her anything !

I have revolutionised the use of mine by adding a shoulder strap thus turning them into giant Rosies .

Totally agree with slowhand......it's so faffy but worth it. mine goes over my shoulder okay but one strap always falls down.

i have also added a long strap but the heaviness and inpractical nature of the bag means i dont use her much. So would say if you are want her for regular use, it' a no no :tdown:

Have also added a cross body strap to rosemary which has transformed her to a handy little bag

Roxy is possibly heavier, due to extra hardware (have a look on the 'weight' thread to compare re diff leathers etc), definitely more fiddly to use, and both struggle to be 'proper' shoulder bags, but whilst I have more Bays (3) than Roxys (only 1), I think Roxy gets it on the looks imo

Still havnt got to grips with multi quoting so.................

Lulu09
Thats what I planned to do, buy one and try it.

Kingla
Just got rid of my LV Speedy for same reason. Only bought in July and used twice didnt give it much of a chance to collect dust.

Sugna
Thank you hugely for the photos. I think it the fact that the Roxy isnt quite as tal as the Bays that is also the attraction for me.

Slowhand and Mulberrygal
I did wonder if my Seth strap would work if I bought a Chocolate Roxy but thena gain my shoulder can only take so much of the weight of a shoulder strap now but I do like a bag you can carry all ways.

Lady Farquar
Good idea will take a look.

Thank you for all you input its been very helpful.

I don't find roxy anymore fiddly than I did bays. Roxy was my one and only mulberry for a couple of years and I used her daily. Initially I always carried her in the crook of my arm as I didn't want to squash her. Nowadays I don't use her just as often and if I was going out for the day, say shopping, my arm would be breaking- hardly surprising with all the hardware and she's Darwin. I swap her from shoulder to arm now too, when on the shoulder I do find myself bashing people when I turn round in shops etc. I could never part with her as she was my first love.

Edit: sadly bays was just too big for me, it was always less than 1/2 full

I don't find roxy anymore fiddly than I did bays. Roxy was my one and only mulberry for a couple of years and I used her daily. Initially I always carried her in the crook of my arm as I didn't want to squash her. Nowadays I don't use her just as often and if I was going out for the day, say shopping, my arm would be breaking- hardly surprising with all the hardware and she's Darwin. I swap her from shoulder to arm now too, when on the shoulder I do find myself bashing people when I turn round in shops etc. I could never part with her as she was my first love.

Edit: sadly bays was just too big for me

I cant help wondering if its like carrying a Gym bag ? not that i go to the Gym ever :smile:

Geddes said:
I cant help wondering if its like carrying a Gym bag ? not that i go to the Gym ever :smile:

Haha! Well I've never carried a gym bag so dont know what that's like. It's a shame they're not in the shops anymore more for you to try before you buy. But my guess would be if you love your Rosie you'll be a roxy fan too.

I don't know if I will be much help because I LOVE both:hbeat:!!! I have both bays AND Roxys!! I think bays are definitely easier to get in and out of and sits easier on the shoulder because they are less balky. Roxy definitely has fiddly straps and has a shape that doesn't quite hold per say my ipad as nicely as my bays or OS Alexa does.... but have you SEEN Roxy?!? She is just so stunning I can't help but love her despite those things. My Roxys are also heavier than my bays because they are darwin leather and my bays are NVT. I live in the states so Mulberry is not such a common or known brand here. However, I get so many compliments when one of my Roxys is out and about, probably more so than any other style bag I own.:love:

Sorry didn't finish previous! Anyway I have two roxys as said before. One had hardly been used and is very stiff and quite uncomfortable under the arm as its so bulky and the other is extremely soft as presumably well worn before it came to me and it's very comfortable to use and sits under my arm and I love it. So i think it very much depends on whether you get a well used One or not as to how comfortable it is i also have a bays and prefer carrying the roxy to bays as i dont like the thin straps either. Roxy straps are far more comfortAble. Hope that helps.

Sorry didn't finish previous! Anyway I have two roxys as said before. One had hardly been used and is very stiff and quite uncomfortable under the arm as its so bulky and the other is extremely soft as presumably well worn before it came to me and it's very comfortable to use and sits under my arm and I love it. So i think it very much depends on whether you get a well used One or not as to how comfortable it is i also have a bays and prefer carrying the roxy to bays as i dont like the thin straps either. Roxy straps are far more comfortAble. Hope that helps.

Yes i also think partly the reason i dont like my Bayswater is because thats quite stiff and oddly i have got my eye on a Darwin one that looks squishy and better. My pre loved Rosemary is lovely and soft and i really like that so i suppose that is a major factor also.
More to ponder over :thinking: