Bayswater silver hardware -- defective?

classydame

O.G.
Oct 17, 2008
Hi All,
After owning a Mulberry wallet & cosmetics pouch, I finally got my first Mulberry bag--the new Bayswater in black small classic grain. It fits my laptop and will be perfect as my first "grownup" work bag, BUT...

The silver hardware isn't shiny like most silver hardware on handbags I've seen/owned before. It's not really scratched, but after removing the plastic cover I noticed it looks almost cloudy. I live in Seattle so I can't check one out in person.

Is this how the hardware on this bag should look?

Last edited:
Last edited:
I own silver postman's lock on the classic mulberry styles so classic Bayswater and lily bags and the silver isn't cloudy. However, the gold hardware on my new Bayswater is different from the gold used on my classic bays and lily bags so likely it is a similar situation for the silver hardware.

Hi All,
After owning a Mulberry wallet & cosmetics pouch, I finally got my first Mulberry bag--the new Bayswater in black small classic grain. It fits my laptop and will be perfect as my first "grownup" work bag, BUT...

The silver hardware isn't shiny like most silver hardware on handbags I've seen/owned before. It's not really scratched, but after removing the plastic cover I noticed it looks almost cloudy. I live in Seattle so I can't check one out in person.

Is this how the hardware on this bag should look?

The new style Bays with silver hardware is a cloudy burnished looking silver, my new midnight blue Bays with strap is the same as yours, I think this is just how the new silver hardware is, whereas all my old bags silver hardware is super shiny. The new gold hardware differs from the old style too, its more yellow. Hope that helps :smile:

I think Mulberry thought they would confuse everyone as:
Old style silver (shiny) which looks new :lol:

View attachment 3567605

New style silver (cloudy/burnished) which looks old :lol:

View attachment 3567606

:biggrin: I agree.
My new midnight blue Bayswater's hardware is the same colour. I was unsure at first too but I decided I like it.
I guess it's down to whether you like the older look Classydame.
Hope you sort it either way. :smile:

:biggrin: I agree.
My new midnight blue Bayswater's hardware is the same colour. I was unsure at first too but I decided I like it.
I guess it's down to whether you like the older look Classydame.
Hope you sort it either way. :smile:

I was a bit unsure at first too Vinnie42 but decided that scratches won't show up nowhere near as much, I love it now.

Reactions: Vinnie42
Thanks, All! I was a little confused at first, but after sleeping on it I decided I like it better than the super-shiny look. It's kind of a twist with the vintage looking HW with the modern bag shape. For the first time ever, I'm looking forward to Monday morning so I can try her out :biggrin:

Reactions: iLuvBagsnChocs
I was a bit unsure at first too Vinnie42 but decided that scratches won't show up nowhere near as much, I love it now.

Thanks, All! I was a little confused at first, but after sleeping on it I decided I like it better than the super-shiny look. It's kind of a twist with the vintage looking HW with the modern bag shape. For the first time ever, I'm looking forward to Monday morning so I can try her out :biggrin:

I agree totally with both points. I love the new look now and am pleased you are happy too.