Bayswater Scratch on the Lock - pls help

Crica

Jun 10, 2010
Hya , I have a Oak Bayswater which I love love love, unfortunatelly I started to notice scratches in the post lock..is there any way you can "clean" it to minimize the scratches or a product you can apply to protect it.
Also does anyone ever used the Collonil leather gel instead of the waterproof spray?

Tks
Crica

you wont be able to clean it off. Is it still in its 12 months from purchase? if so you could contact mulberry and they might be able to repair it for you.
if not and it bothers you that much you can still contact mulberry and they will repair for you but you would have to pay.

i use collonil gel as a norisher, its doesnt waterproof so you would still have to used the spray.

I think it's inevitable that with use you will get little scratches on the postmans lock. I don't let it bother me and love my bags even with their little scratches. If it really bother you though you could contact Mulberry repairs and ask if they will replace the lock. The repair charges are usually reasonable if you are outside your warranty.

The collonil gel sold by Mulberry is a waterproof gel. Amazon sell it as an enviromentally friendly alternative to the collonil spray. I've used it on my oak Ant and oak bays without any problems. I think it may darken the leather slightly.
It's inevitable you are going to get little scratches on the plate of the bays but if they bother you then you could enquire how much it would be for Mulberry repairs to replace it. If it's normal wear and tear I doubt they would cover it under the guarantee.

I agree Lola - I thought that it would be a lot more than that . I was on the phone anyway paying for another little job and asked how much it would be. And it includes the return carriage - bargain! :tup:

Hi Guys thank you so much ! I think I might replace my postman lock!

Hi there

Why don't you post a picture of it on this link so we can all see how it looks. It may be that it is normal wear and tear as has been said and if so may happen again. We could see what we thought for you, although obviously if it bothers you that much it won't matter what we think of course.

Just trying to save you some money.;)

Unless I had a big, deep scratch on the lock, I think I would overlook it. Bags can scratch a bit with use and often outlet bags have a few scratches from new. I don't think they detract from the beauty of the bag tbh. That said, the replacement lock charge does sound very reasonable! xx

Slightly off topic, but interesting that Collonil gel is a waterproofer - that kinda does away with the need for the spray at all, doesn't it? Nourishing & waterproofing in one treatment sounds good to me. (Can you use it on your face? :ninja:smile:

Do let us know how you get on, Crica. Before & after pics would be nice!

mmmm a SA told me that the collonil gel isnt water proof but i will add that when i used it on my oak leopard alexa its seemed to draw water out of the leather which i had to wipe off.
i feel a waterproof test coming on with the gel. its great if it does infact waterproof then i wont have to use the spary and some of my bags :smile: