Bayswater- is it worth it?

daisyw

Apr 16, 2013
Hello :biggrin: I'm finally nearly in the position where I can buy my first mulberry! I have coveted the bayswater (black, veg tanned) forever. I also love the bayswater double zip tote, but at £1500, it's out of my price range. My question is, in your opinion, is the bayswater worth the price? I'm nervous about spending £895, although I really want the bag!
Ay opinions/insight would be appreciated :smile:

Reactions: Namwan-
Hi daisyw,

The bayswater is a classic bag & is one of Mulberry's most iconic bags. If you're going to buy it brand new, I'd say hold off until next weekend as selfridges are doing 20% (whether core colours -oak, black, choc - will be included is another matter). Harrods is also having a 10% weekend next weekend and I think wheelers of loughborough currently have a 20% promo.

Personally I'm a bargain hunter and bought all of my bayswaters preloved so can't fully comment on the pricing as I never feel comfortable spending more than £500-600 on a bag. Just my own personal preference. Best of luck and I hope you manage to find one at a price you're happy with.

There are lots of posts on this bag..............
I was like you a few years ago, had to have one, only they were £595 then. Bought it, I didnt like it, didnt get on with it and it didnt suit me so i sold it on this year after dithering forever. In hindsight i would have bought it in a different leather but i didnt know enough about them at the time. My friends have them in other leathers and i really like theirs and if i had done the same i think i would still be the proud owner of a Bayswater. As it turned out i think i am more of an Alexa girl, the last bag i thought i would own but its love !

Good luck and enjoy what ever you chose

I think it is a classic style that's quite easy to wear. I am not a fan, mainly because it is too ladylike for my taste. The prices are indeed probably quite high for what it is, but if you don't mind having a substandard one or a used one that is nonetheless in excellent condition, I'd say go for it.

A friend of mine got her chocolate Bayswater from Bicester Village and she paid £556 because it was a substandard, but it only had some small scratches on the bottom that you couldn't even notice unless you looked closely. Also, you could get one from Heathrow/Gatwick if you happen to travel out of either of them. They offer 20% off!

I would definitely go for pre loved. The £400 ish hike I have seen in the past few years is obscene. Black Bays is gorgeous and no less so for being pre loved.

Hi daisyw,

The bayswater is a classic bag & is one of Mulberry's most iconic bags. If you're going to buy it brand new, I'd say hold off until next weekend as selfridges are doing 20% (whether core colours -oak, black, choc - will be included is another matter). Harrods is also having a 10% weekend next weekend and I think wheelers of loughborough currently have a 20% promo.

Personally I'm a bargain hunter and bought all of my bayswaters preloved so can't fully comment on the pricing as I never feel comfortable spending more than £500-600 on a bag. Just my own personal preference. Best of luck and I hope you manage to find one at a price you're happy with.

I kinda feel the same about the £500-600 limit,I have looked at prices on eBay, but I'm too nervous to buy in case of authenticity issues.

I agree that the Bays zip at £1500 is totally overpriced. It's also early days to know how long it will be around. I don't think you can go wrong making the Bayswater your first Mulberry. It's a gorgeous classic and easy to wear day bag. It comfortably fits over the shoulder, crook of the arm or can be carried by hand. I think you can dress it up or down & wouldn't say it looks particularly ladylike. It can look quite casual worn with jeans or leggings.

The Bays now coming in are at £1100 and think this will soon be the norm when all £895 have sold :graucho::graucho:

I do think its worth it and would stick with new especially as it's your first bag but as already suggested go either go for a discounted,( Selfridges, Harrods or wait for the sale ) or one from the Outlet. Mo always kindly :tup: updates Bicester stock here. http://forum.purseblog.com/mulberry-shopping/post-outlet-finds-stock-here-no-chatter-775566-11.html and you can phone the other outlets.

It does seem rare now to see a fake Mulberry on EBay. It doesn't usually get past the authenticators and fakes are removed fairly quickly. You also have the backup of paypal & EBay if anything goes wrong.
My concern about EBay is more the state of the bag compared to the pictures. I have had good and bad experiences on EBay and mostly I have been disappointed :graucho: and then you are stuck with it unless horrendously " not as described"

At least buying from the Outlet or reputable store you can return it.

Good luck with your decision

Last edited:
I agree that the Bays zip at £1500 is totally overpriced. It's also early days to know how long it will be around. I don't think you can go wrong making the Bayswater your first Mulberry. It's a gorgeous classic and easy to wear day bag. It comfortably fits over the shoulder, crook of the arm or can be carried by hand. I think you can dress it up or down & wouldn't say it looks particularly ladylike. It can look quite casual worn with jeans or leggings.

The Bays now coming in are at £1100 and think this will soon be the norm when all £895 have sold :graucho::graucho:

I do think its worth it and would stick with new especially as it's your first bag but as already suggested go either go for a discounted,( Selfridges, Harrods or wait for the sale ) or one from the Outlet. Mo always kindly :tup: updates Bicester stock here. http://forum.purseblog.com/mulberry-shopping/post-outlet-finds-stock-here-no-chatter-775566-11.html and you can phone the other outlets.

It does seem rare now to see a fake Mulberry on EBay. It doesn't usually get past the authenticators and fakes are removed fairly quickly. You also have the backup of paypal & EBay if anything goes wrong.
My concern about EBay is more the state of the bag compared to the pictures. I have had good and bad experiences on EBay and mostly I have been disappointed :graucho: and then you are stuck with it unless horrendously " not as described"

Or for preloved you can go with a trusted seller like labelsmost wanted who will let you return if you aren't happy with the condition and have the best prices anyway IMO far better than other similar sites

Or for preloved you can go with a trusted seller like labelsmost wanted who will let you return if you aren't happy with the condition and have the best prices anyway IMO far better than other similar sites

Good idea Elvis, I forgot about the pre-loved sites . How could I ;) there is also Naughtipidgins who shows her pics very clearly and describes in very good detail. It's good to know you can return and worth paying a little more for that.

Or the one at Wheelers just posted below by Cocorose sounds a great deal. If it were me I would go for that one, don't think you can go wrong as you can return if you don't like it

Hi Daisy
The black NVT older style is available at Wheeler's for £716 and they do mail order - 01509 266320

Thank you so much! I will look into that, is it an offer for a certain time period?
I think I have decided not to go preloved, I really want a new bag. I take good care of my things and to be honest wouldn't want to spend out so much on anything that may not be in the condition I want. I also think I prefer the older style, I have seen both in store and feel that the newer one feels too formal for my style, where as the older can be formal or more causal.
However, I'm wondering if it would be best to wait for the sale just to see what goes in? I'm sure the bag I'm after wont be reduced, but I'm sure I saw a black bays at £660 in the summer sale..

Thank you for the advice, I'm sure I will get the bays now, just trying to find at a good price! :graucho: I have decided against preloved, I want to be sure of the condition etc. I may wait for the sale and see what gets reduced, but I do want to buy before another price increase or as you say, before they are all £1100.

Thank you so much! I will look into that, is it an offer for a certain time period?
I think I have decided not to go preloved, I really want a new bag. I take good care of my things and to be honest wouldn't want to spend out so much on anything that may not be in the condition I want. I also think I prefer the older style, I have seen both in store and feel that the newer one feels too formal for my style, where as the older can be formal or more causal.
However, I'm wondering if it would be best to wait for the sale just to see what goes in? I'm sure the bag I'm after wont be reduced, but I'm sure I saw a black bays at £660 in the summer sale..
Hi daisyw,

They definitely won't go in the sale so if you can get it with a discount, I'd definitely say go for it. I think the one that was reduced in the summer was the spongy leather. Good luck