Bayswater for Mac dilemma

Jun 17, 2011
Hi everybody, I need help. I have an oak Bayswater for the Mac and I have had it for about a year now and have never used it for my Mac. I used it probably three times as a regular bays, but it is a bit stiffer than a regular one. I'm the kind of person that NEVER lets go of a bag, because I love them all.(I have 6 Mulberry bags and all well saved for) But this time I keep thinking I should have bought the regular. What shall I do. I don't think I am an ebay girl, but do you have any suggestions as to where I could sell it (IF I am) Or is there anyone who owns one and really loves it, who can let me see the advantages.
I've tried to just stop thinking about it, but it keeps coming back into my mind. Maybe I'll regret it if I sell it, but I can't afford to buy a regular one just like that. Oh what a dilemma.:confused1:

Just to make sure nobody misunderstands me. I'm not looking for a buyer, just some good advice. I found some old threads about it, and it helps, but still doubting. Please tell me about your good experiences with the bag.

I have had a Bayswater for the 13" Macbook for about 18 months now. It's my first Bayswater, and I am so glad I bought it! I don't take my Macbook with me every day, or even every week, but I love that I have the option to. When I don't have my laptop with me, I use the laptop pocket for my calendar and books. It's really handy that there's a separate section for all the bigger, slimmer items.

What I also really like about the Apple version compared to the regular one is the fact that it's lined. It has more pockets than a regular one does. In my opinion, the lining is easier to keep clean as well.

Although the handles are only a little longer than on the regular Bayswater, I think it does make a difference: it fits nicely on the shoulder.

Here are a few reasons why I really like the Macbook version. :smile: I could probably come up with more if I would spend more time thinking about this. I have used my Bayswater a lot, especially this fall, and I don't think it is that stiff. It is maybe a bit more structured than the regular Bayswater though.

thank you e_serendipity. I like what you say about the lining, and it's a good idea to put books in the compartment. I'm really pleased with your comments. It does make me doubt a little less. Still afraid to start using it regularly. Now it is just as new as it was, so I still have the option to sell for a good price. Does the "stiff' back loosen up when it's used a lot? I know with the slouchy Alexa people put bag liners in to keep its shape, but I just love the slouchiness of the bag. Anyway thanks again for your help

I understand your dilemma totallyMulberry. If you're still considering selling the Macbook one and buying a regular Bayswater, using the Macbook version might be really stressful. But if you don't start using it, it will be pretty difficult to determine whether it is the bag for you or not.

The back of the bag doesn't slouch, I don't think it ever will. The front has lost a little of its shape in a nice way I think. It looks softer and has a nice patina now. I really can't compare it to a regular Bays since I don't have one. Hard to say if a regular Bays would be a lot slouchier. Hope someone else can help you with that!

Good luck with your decision!

I honestly would keep hold of the one you have, I have a regular Bays that I occasionally use to carry my Macbook and it's fine, however; for a bag that size I find it really annoying that it has only one small internal pocket and I like the idea that you could use the laptop space to put other things in. My Bays is about 9 months old now and has been used off and on a fair bit but the leather on it is gorgeously thick and it's still very rigid, it's a very different look to the Alexa but I like it, I think it will take a lot of breaking in and maybe yours will soften over time?

Thank you LucindaC. I am so happy with your opinion. Makes me appreciate more what I have. It's just that somebody told me that the fact that there is no piping on the front of the bag makes it ugly. It makes me feel it is not a real Bayswater. Maybe I am a bit spoiled. Starting out with one bag that I thought I would NEVER in my life spend so much money on, and ending up with 6. Ridiculous, but so very nice and pleasing. I am so in love with my Mulberries. And I figure if anybody would understand it, it would be you lovely girls from TPF. I will rethink my doubts, thanks.

Great Thread. I am looking at getting a regular Bayswater in chocolate for my laptop and still using my Roxy's for my other stuff.

Does this sound ok or would an Alexa, bayswater for mac or Elkin be better for a laptop? But I do love the Bayswater and can use it at the weekends as a normal bag. Thanks in advance.

Great Thread. I am looking at getting a regular Bayswater in chocolate for my laptop and still using my Roxy's for my other stuff.

Does this sound ok or would an Alexa, bayswater for mac or Elkin be better for a laptop? But I do love the Bayswater and can use it at the weekends as a normal bag. Thanks in advance.

I would like to know the answer to this too!

Please could you link me to the bayswater for mac, I can't seem to find it on the Mulberry site, I can only see the sleeves! :confused1:

Thanks

totallyMulberry I hadn't even noticed that the piping wasn't there! Honestly it wouldn't bother me, I don't think it's spoilt and understand wanting things to be 'just so' but don't let the comments of one person get to you, it's a gorgeous bag :amuse:.

Laura Mulberry I definitely wouldn't go for an Alexa to carry a laptop in... I have the regular size and it's just not sturdy enough to take the weight IMO even if the OS would be big enough to fit a Macbook. The Bays for Mac only came in oak and black patent as far as I know which is why I went for the regular Bays (my heart was set on black NVT). An Elgin would certainly be strong enough but you'd have to buy pre-loved, also if it's Darwin leather it may be VERY heavy with a laptop in.

joshp I can't see them on the website either :confused1:, you could try ringing the store to see if they're current season.

totallyMulberry I hadn't even noticed that the piping wasn't there! Honestly it wouldn't bother me, I don't think it's spoilt and understand wanting things to be 'just so' but don't let the comments of one person get to you, it's a gorgeous bag :amuse:.

Laura Mulberry I definitely wouldn't go for an Alexa to carry a laptop in... I have the regular size and it's just not sturdy enough to take the weight IMO even if the OS would be big enough to fit a Macbook. The Bays for Mac only came in oak and black patent as far as I know which is why I went for the regular Bays (my heart was set on black NVT). An Elgin would certainly be strong enough but you'd have to buy pre-loved, also if it's Darwin leather it may be VERY heavy with a laptop in.

joshp I can't see them on the website either :confused1:, you could try ringing the store to see if they're current season.

Thanks for the reply :smile: I may ring them and find out, but am tempted just to go for the regular bayswater, as my laptop is fairly small, and keep it in a sleeve

I've had my mac bays for about a month and a half now and I love it. The back is more rigid than a normal one but the front has become soft and pliable like any other bays. I really think the lining is such a great thing to have since it just looks so much nicer imo than the unlined back of the leather and also helps prevent stains/scratches to the leather from the inside.

Also having an extra compartment is so useful and I keep papers, keys anything really that I want to seperate from the rest of my stuff when I don't keep my laptop with me. Tbh though I did buy the mac bays specifically so i could bring my laptop around since I bring it almost everyday to lectures so I do understand why you would be less happy with it if you don't regularly bring your mac around.

Nevertheless I wouldn't advice you sell you mac bays just to get a normal one as with depreciation etc you will end up shelling what is quite a considerable sum just to end up with the same bag but unlined and with less compartments.

Hope this helps and I really hope you end up using and falling in love with your mac bays as I have.

P.s : It seems they stopped selling the mac bays in the oak now and its only available in black in the soft goat leather so I'm glad I got mine just before the stopped selling it. :yahoo:

totallyMulberry, I think it is a lovely bag to use, especially if you use it to carry your laptop. I would really love to have one!

I use my regular bays to carry my Macbook Air 13". At the beginning, I was a bit worried about the sturdiness of it, but now I feel it is such a roomy and practical bag that I can happily use it work or play. Having said all that though, I would love a bays for laptop, because it is so well designed, the various pockets, pen holders, the compartment for laptop, etc. I have my eyes on the black drummed patent leather one, but unfortunately it is sold out everywhere!

I hope you will feel reassured from other people that it is a lovely bag. Hope you enjoy it.