BATTLE of BAGS - JUMBO vs GST! Come and join

Black Caviar Jumbo Flap or Black Caviar GST?

• Black Caviar Jumbo Flap SHW

• Black Caviar GST SHW

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thank you all very much for your input. You've raised very important points I need to consider. I LOVE the look of the jumbo and like that the CC looks a bit more discreet than GST. Functionally, I'm just so used to a tote. Decisions decisions. I've been mulling over this for quite some time now. My bday is later this week and will be visiting a Saks and NM chanel boutique to try them on. I am so excited!!!! Will keep u posted.

Thanks ladies!!!

Enjoy and happy birthday! Go in with an open mind too - maybe you will fall in love with something totally different!

Go with what you will use most for your lifestyle. I have beautiful purses I end up looking at in the closet but rarely use because I'm not a purse person (but it took me a long time to figure that out!).

I put my WOCs inside my GST and it works perfectly. The GST has zipper pockets so you can keep things safe in zipped areas. It can also be dressed up or down. The only issue I had when I first got the GST is that the handles would often slip off but if I put the outer handle on top it stays firmly in place. Problem solved :smile: I also use my WOCs every day. Great grab and go option when you just have a short errand to run. Good luck with your decision.

Hi there and welcome! :smile:

Honestly, I think the answer lies within your question. :smile: It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself to get a flap, because it is, quintessentially, "the" legendary, iconic Chanel style to get, but you're not a flap girl by nature. You love the look, as do I, but you're not a flap girl.

Get the bag you'll actually use. Get the GST. You're a tote girl. The GST is an awesome bag, and you'll use it all the time. It'll be more convenient for your lifestyle, from the sound of it, and the flap -- well, you'll probably end up admiring it in your closet, but you won't get enough use out of it, and end up saving it for "special occasions" or those brief moments when the flap won't drive you nuts.

I have a PST (Petite), and I adore it. And I have a woc, which I also adore. Those are the only 2 Chanels I'll probably own anytime in the near-to-distant future. I'm thrilled with both of them.

Welcome to the world of Chanel. It's addictive, exciting, gorgeous, and...expensive! lol.

Tell us what you decide!!! And make sure to do a reveal!

+1 Excellent advice! Well said. Get what you will actually use!

I have both, including a PST and I prefer my Jumbo more. I just feel more secure with the flap and I don't usually need the extra space in my totes. They're both great, classic bags that I love but if I had to choose just one.. I'd go with a jumbo because it's the ultimate Chanel bag to me!

although you are not a flap girl, you have got enough totes from other brands as a everyday bag, I would pick the Jumbo for this reason. And, sometimes when you don't have much stuff to carry, you could take jumbo for work, not only for dinners/ special occasions.

Thank you all very much for your input. You've raised very important points I need to consider. I LOVE the look of the jumbo and like that the CC looks a bit more discreet than GST. Functionally, I'm just so used to a tote. Decisions decisions. I've been mulling over this for quite some time now. My bday is later this week and will be visiting a Saks and NM chanel boutique to try them on. I am so excited!!!! Will keep u posted.

Thanks ladies!!!

Hope you enjoy the bag that you end up picking. I love that you are carefully picking the bag because some buy Chanel like they are buying Vera Bradley. It actually makes me feel kind of upset because they don't care about what they are buying. Just hope that you end up with what you want to have! You might actually end up with both because flaps are totally amazing, and GST totes are something that you might actually use. Remember to take them out and don't leave them in the closet all the time

Hello folks. Brief background: I was bitten by the high end designer bag bug in 2011, it all started with LV, then Prada followed by balenciaga. Now, chanel is calling my name (lol). I am about to make my first ever Chanel purchase and for the life of me, cannot decide on whether I should get the jumbo or GST. I know I want it in caviar leather. Here are my thoughts:

Jumbo: it's a classic, if I'm only going to own 1 chanel, I think this is it, it looks nicer to me (more lady like, KWIM?) and I can wear it casual or more formal. BUT, I'm not a flap girl, I'm a busy working mom and I do not own a single flap for this reason, although I must admit, I love the way they look. I don't know why I think this way, for those flap girls here, can you help convince me that going in and out of a flap isn't inconvenient?

GST: its convenient bec of the pockets, I can use it more of an everyday bag, I'm used to totes. It can hold more. And call me crazy, if I get this bag, I can rationalize me getting a WOC also bec of the price difference (2 Chanels for the price of 1, lol). But a part of me says, I have so many other totes already! LV neverfull mm and gm, cabas mezzo marylebone gm, prada tote.

Lovely ladies and gents of tPF, please help and enable a fellow tPFr make her first chanel purchase! Thank you all.

Okay, I'm going to take the stance to help you (enable) to see the virtues of the classic flap. I have many flap bags (as well as totes), and because I don't snap the inner button, it's really not that hard to just open a clasp (the turnlock CC or mademoiselle) and reach in for what I want. There are also many little pockets that you can use, from the outside one on the back (perfect for a phone, and easier to get to than any pocket inside a tote), to the inside one(s) in the bag itself. Then you have the front one that runs the length of the bag, as well as the one behind the inside of the bag that also is the length of the bag. Then you have the little zipped one on the inside flap to slip small things into. So you end up with an organized bag with a place for everything.

With a tote, and especially the GST which is open on top, think of having to hit the brakes and your bag falling onto the floor, and all of the contents save for those in the zippered pocket falling out on the floor. That's one part of open totes that has driven me bats since I first used one. I much prefer one that closes better, such as a full zipped top or some other way to prevent everything falling out. Then there is the jumble of things that ends up in a tote bag. Yes, the GST has 3 compartments, but as two of them don't have pockets, you end up with that pile in a big space. Additionally, you already have scads of totes; do you really need another one? Perhaps it's time to buy something else that you might get some use from.

The decision really comes down to you, what you see that you love, and what you will use. I have both the GST and flap bags, and I've used my GST once. I think that says a lot for what my needs and usage are, but you need to look at yours. I've just done a little explaining to help you see that you can carry more than you think (and organized) in a flap that's not hard to get in and out of.

Okay, I'm going to take the stance to help you (enable) to see the virtues of the classic flap. I have many flap bags (as well as totes), and because I don't snap the inner button, it's really not that hard to just open a clasp (the turnlock CC or mademoiselle) and reach in for what I want. There are also many little pockets that you can use, from the outside one on the back (perfect for a phone, and easier to get to than any pocket inside a tote), to the inside one(s) in the bag itself. Then you have the front one that runs the length of the bag, as well as the one behind the inside of the bag that also is the length of the bag. Then you have the little zipped one on the inside flap to slip small things into. So you end up with an organized bag with a place for everything.

With a tote, and especially the GST which is open on top, think of having to hit the brakes and your bag falling onto the floor, and all of the contents save for those in the zippered pocket falling out on the floor. That's one part of open totes that has driven me bats since I first used one. I much prefer one that closes better, such as a full zipped top or some other way to prevent everything falling out. Then there is the jumble of things that ends up in a tote bag. Yes, the GST has 3 compartments, but as two of them don't have pockets, you end up with that pile in a big space. Additionally, you already have scads of totes; do you really need another one? Perhaps it's time to buy something else that you might get some use from.

The decision really comes down to you, what you see that you love, and what you will use. I have both the GST and flap bags, and I've used my GST once. I think that says a lot for what my needs and usage are, but you need to look at yours. I've just done a little explaining to help you see that you can carry more than you think (and organized) in a flap that's not hard to get in and out of.

I agree, OP I think you should go with the jumbo flap, and besides you already have other totes so it'll nice to get something different.

I'm usually on this LV part of the forum, but i've been looking into buying my first Chanel bag for a while now. (IMO the quality of LV has gone down, while the prices keep rising rapidly..not worth it) Also, i've been looking for a leather bag for a while since all of my purses are canvas.

I know questions like these get asked all the time, but I just wanted some opinions from you all.

I am 19, 5'1" and about 114 pounds. At first I wanted the GST in black with SHW but my parents told me it looked like an old lady bag :blah: so I showed them the Jumbo flap and they liked that one a lot better. I still love both of them, but of course both is not in my price range :crybaby:

The only reason I am a little more inclined towards getting the GST is because the price is a little less painful, and the bag seems to be a little more useful for my life ( I carry a lot of stuff in my bag.)
Thanks very much, sorry to bother you with this long post! :flowers:

The Classic Jumbo is a great flap, but it looks like a tote would be more useful for you.

Chanel has other totes (e.g. Timeless Tote) that may be a better fit for you than the GST.

I'm usually on this LV part of the forum, but i've been looking into buying my first Chanel bag for a while now. (IMO the quality of LV has gone down, while the prices keep rising rapidly..not worth it) Also, i've been looking for a leather bag for a while since all of my purses are canvas.

I know questions like these get asked all the time, but I just wanted some opinions from you all.

I am 19, 5'1" and about 114 pounds. At first I wanted the GST in black with SHW but my parents told me it looked like an old lady bag :blah: so I showed them the Jumbo flap and they liked that one a lot better. I still love both of them, but of course both is not in my price range :crybaby:

The only reason I am a little more inclined towards getting the GST is because the price is a little less painful, and the bag seems to be a little more useful for my life ( I carry a lot of stuff in my bag.)
Thanks very much, sorry to bother you with this long post! :flowers:

Hi and welcome :smile::smile::smile:

I don't have a jumbo, only medium size classic flaps (because I'm just 5ft and jumbo looks too big on me) but I have two GST's and I love this bag style!!!!

To me it's the perfect daily bag, you can fit it soo much, it's roomy and looks chic and stylish... I'm 30 years old, so far away from being an "old Lady", and let me tell you: The GST is in no way an old Lady bag, a lot of young tpf members have Chanel GST's...

And really interesting, I don't find the GST looks too big on me like the jumbo classic flap... So if your heart is set on the GST, and from what I read in your post, it is - go for the GST!!! You can fit in more than in a jumbo, it's perfect for daily use, not boxy or heavy imo... and like you said, the GST is a lot cheaper than a jumbo classic flap...