Bathroom/ Restroom Usage for a Transgender

I think we've gotten to the point where we worry more about the rights of a few people, so as not to seem bias, than about the rights of the majority.

The only time I was really irritated about the issue was when a Trans high school student wanted to use the locker room for the sex they associated with. I belive it was a person with a penis who felt he was a woman. I can understand him not wanting to be with the boys, as he was very feminine. The school countered his request to use the girls locker room with an offer for him to have his own bathroom to use. He declined! To me that was a fair compromise. Why should all the other girls be exposed to a penis? What about their rights? This one kid felt his right to use the bathroom he wanted to was more important than the rights of all those girls.

someone at my job - of over 550+ people came out a few weeks ago. i am sure there are more in my workplace, but this person came forward as tg. they were instructed to 'use the restroom they feel most comfortable in.' not really a solution imo, and not really considerate to the other 549 employees. the problem i have is that tg folks get a voice, but no one asked how the other 99.9% of employees would feel about that decision. not sure how that's fair. i would, personally, prefer to see a unisex restroom in the workplace and in all public places. not that all tg's will use that option, and not that i ever know who is ever next to me in the stall anyway... but at least it's there. maybe i will use that restroom to be alone as they usually only have one stall and no lines:smile:

The 549 other people weren't asked because it's none of their business where this one person pees. Imagine if someone decided to make a vote out of where they prefer you go to the bathroom, if it were me I'd be mortified. Unisex restrooms are a great idea though!

I think we've gotten to the point where we worry more about the rights of a few people, so as not to seem bias, than about the rights of the majority.

The only time I was really irritated about the issue was when a Trans high school student wanted to use the locker room for the sex they associated with. I belive it was a person with a penis who felt he was a woman. I can understand him not wanting to be with the boys, as he was very feminine. The school countered his request to use the girls locker room with an offer for him to have his own bathroom to use. He declined! To me that was a fair compromise. Why should all the other girls be exposed to a penis? What about their rights? This one kid felt his right to use the bathroom he wanted to was more important than the rights of all those girls.

I have to agree w/ all your points of view here. And I'm sure more issues will come up in time. But how to fix it? It's gonna be a challenge for our politicians, law makers & us as a country. But as w/ everything else, they'll figure it out. And chances are everybody won't be happy.

I've used public restrooms that were being used by Transgender individuals and cross-dressers at clubs, music events and such for a long time. Even as far back as when I was teen.

It never bother me at all. Never had an issue result from it and I don't see why its become such a big issue personally. I do my business and leave, so does everyone else.

The largest city near where I live just announced they lost a huge convention due to this dumb law. It was going to bring 5000 people to the area for a few days. Plus all the entertainers who are boycotting the state. It makes me wonder if the lawmakers responsible for this are even paying attention to what's happening. There were big protests at the capital yesterday (along with counter-protests). NC refuses to join the 21st century and seems determined to return to the 19th century.

The 549 other people weren't asked because it's none of their business where this one person pees. Imagine if someone decided to make a vote out of where they prefer you go to the bathroom, if it were me I'd be mortified. Unisex restrooms are a great idea though!

the point is more one of democracy ... and that can apply to any issue... not just a bathroom one. it's about letting everyone have a voice on an issue and not deciding something for 1 person where there are almost 600 others in the mix. it's about coming up with viable solutions to appease a majority and not a single person or small subset. it's awkward, i believe, to encounter your male coworker in the ladies restroom when you've never even been told this will now be a possibility. the issue is so new that companies aren't yet handling it appropriately b/c they have no idea what to do, really.

the point is more one of democracy ... and that can apply to any issue... not just a bathroom one. it's about letting everyone have a voice on an issue and not deciding something for 1 person where there are almost 600 others in the mix. it's about coming up with viable solutions to appease a majority and not a single person or small subset. it's awkward, i believe, to encounter your male coworker in the ladies restroom when you've never even been told this will now be a possibility. the issue is so new that companies aren't yet handling it appropriately b/c they have no idea what to do, really.

A workplace is not a democracy, and employees typically don't get a say in company rules or guidelines. :shrugs:

Consider this: *if* a company decided to "poll" employees on where one particular employee *should* use the bathroom...that opens the company up to a legitimate discrimination claim.

Further, encountering co-worker who is a TG woman in the ladies room shouldn't be a big deal. Does anyone really think a person who identifies as a woman thinks of their women co-workers any differently inside or outside of the bathroom walls?

A workplace is not a democracy, and employees typically don't get a say in company rules or guidelines. :shrugs:

Consider this: *if* a company decided to "poll" employees on where one particular employee *should* use the bathroom...that opens the company up to a legitimate discrimination claim.

Further, encountering co-worker who is a TG woman in the ladies room shouldn't be a big deal. Does anyone really think a person who identifies as a woman thinks of their women co-workers any differently inside or outside of the bathroom walls?

well, i happen to work in a ********ic workplace - federal government - so they have to be very careful how they institute anything because it is a very heavily unionized environment and people from both sides of the issue can make claims against the company (government) for decisions that are made. co-workers here regularly bring suits against management :biggrin: different workplaces have a different way of functioning depending on where you live and how the company is managed. a private company may not give you a voice, but in my workplace we do have one. and seeing a male coworker in the bathroom putting on lipstick when a week before he was wearing a suit... that's weird. there are many who would agree and many who wouldn't. but we're all entitled to have an opinion :smile:

Some people don't like 'weird'. Some people don't like narrow-minded bigots. We all have opinions. Some of those opinions are simply more kind, understanding, and compassionate than others.

Last edited:
There wouldn't be a man in the restroom putting on lipstick anyway though? If she's a trans woman, she's a woman, not a man, even if she looks like a man to you.