Bathing suit for a slightly overweight woman?

Hi ladies,

I wasn't sure where to post my question, so I decided to bring it up here in this section. Pls let me know if I have to move it.

To the question, I am a woman in her late 20's (going on 30's) and I've never felt very comfortable with wearing a bikini. The furthest I went was a tankini and my friends sort of teased me about it. Anyway, I'm going on a vacation soon and would really want to try a bikini. I'm about 5'3 and 140 pounds. Does anyone what's a good bathing suit choice for this type of body?

Thanks!

Also, sorry to hear your friends teased you. I'd been in the same situation before and though I've lost a lot of weight now, I'm still too ashamed to wear bikinis. I'm glad you're comfortable with your body! Have a great time :smile:

Also, sorry to hear your friends teased you. I'd been in the same situation before and though I've lost a lot of weight now, I'm still too ashamed to wear bikinis. I'm glad you're comfortable with your body! Have a great time :smile:

^^Thanks daphodill! high waist may work.. hopefully i won't like a stuffed sausage.
i try to be confident but it's hard when you know ppl would stare/talk. At first I didn't think ppl would care but then sometimes I'm at the gossip thread looking at like kim kardashian's thread, ppl are reallly judgmental about woman's weight and how they look like.

Anyway, do you think regular string bottoms would be ok?..

Don't be ashamed of wearing a bikini! Where are you going? I was just on vacation in Cuba for a friends wedding and before I went I stopped at my local plus lingerie shop. She fitted me for a proper bikini top and bottom. They also had tankini shirts to go over them. What I noticed is this...there is EVERY size and shape on the beach and at the pool so whatever you find you'll look great in!

As a plus size girl I have to try everything on. Bathing suits especially because the girls need to stay in place! Additionelle has a beautiful two piece in store and online now. The trend is high waisted bottoms and halter tops. Just google and try on! You'll find one you love and rock it on vacation!!!

HAVE FUN!

:smile:

I don't think you're overweight with those stats! I've seen lots of people in bikinis who are bigger and it seems just fine for everyone else at the beach. Just don't slouch over and be confident and you're good :smile:

I hate my thighs and I bought a TYR Sonoma (?) boyshort which ends up actually a tinsy bit longer than most boyshorts. Sturdy as well-I bought two because I love them!

I weigh a little more than you at 4'11 and hate wearing one pieces-especially when you have to go to the bathroom ugh. I usually wear a rash guard with a bikini underneath and boyshorts because I absolutely hate being burned and my last few vacations have been near the equator.

Just wear a onepiece - you'll feel more comfortable - they are very much fashionable now, and many have 'tummy tuck' technology..........or the high-waisted bottoms as pictured above.

If you feel overweight then NO to the string bottoms, they don't give any support whatsoever.

On a side note; do you really NEED people 'friends' in your life that tease you about your swimwear choices??? :shocked:

I had my best luck at Athleta-that way you can buy tops and bottoms in diff sizes and mix and match what you like. They have lots to try on and rash guards, coverups etc-they are all right there.

Just wear a onepiece - you'll feel more comfortable - they are very much fashionable now, and many have 'tummy tuck' technology..........or the high-waisted bottoms as pictured above.

If you feel overweight then NO to the string bottoms, they don't give any support whatsoever.

On a side note; do you really NEED people 'friends' in your life that tease you about your swimwear choices??? :shocked:

Agreed-string bikinis I found offer no support for me. Makes me look...unevenly flat, squishy and a little saggy (D cup, and gravity is taking it's toll on my 28 year old body now haha)

I've the very opposite problem (very small breast and I don't feel very feminine/attractive right now), but I suggest you to give a look to more expensive bath suite instead of cheaper ones, they are just better constructed. My mum is overweight but found some great bikini which complimented her body.
What about this one? It seems to give support, but maybe it looks too matronly for a 20 something gal? http://www.yoox.com/it/47155441FD/item?dept=women#sts=sr_women80&cod10=47155441UU&sizeId=14
Anyway, I agree with Princess Pink and would the both bikinis and one pieces, some are really elegant http://www.yoox.com/it/47155454OM/item?dept=women#sts=sr_women80&cod10=47155454OM&sizeId=
and BTW, I don't think making jokes about a friend's weight is that fun.

The Esther Williams bathing suits (available from Modcloth) are really flattering for almost every body shape, and the vintage vibe is so cute: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/ourdes...11776,5440,27526,5377,44286,35611,11775,27266?

One of their selling points is that they show different sized models in the same swimsuit, and there is a two piece version available.

I think I have a body type that is very challenging for swimsuits: deflated/flat boobs from nursing 3 babies and a thicker stomach. I am 5'6" and 135 pounds, so I'm not considered overweight, but I feel so unfeminine in swimsuits. The EW swimsuit (I have the one piece) actually carves out a waist and gives the illusion of "something" in the boob area.

Good luck!