Base Shaper or Bag Shaper for Speedy 35? What do you suggest?

eal76

Feb 3, 2013
North America
I am about to leave my purist ways (the "Louis Vuitton designed the speedy that way for a reason" mentality that I've always had) and get either a base shaper or a full bag shaper for it. I'd like to hear some opinions on which is a better option and why. Right now, Miss Azur 35 is tanning in front of a window, but I'll want to carry her in about 2 months so need to figure out which route to go. Any brand recommendations would be great, too!

cherrycookies

Nov 21, 2012
was advised by my SA not to use a base shaper, something about wearing the corners of the speedy if you use one.

i think a smaller fabric bag organizer will be better. there are loads on ebay, amazon.

Last edited:

Dtrivi89

Feb 3, 2013
Orlando, FL
I just bought a Princess cut base shaper, it is like acrylic and smooth and rounded at the edges...it has a little room to move around so it won't wear/destroy your corners and at only 20 bucks it was perfect!!

sgj99

O.G.
Jun 17, 2008
Houston/Galveston
i don't use a shaper but what i'll call more of an organizer because the Speedy because a big black hold with all my stuff scattered all over the bag. it's called "purse to go" and i get them off of e-Bay, it's an insert that has lots of pockets but even the one made for the 35 leaves some room so the bag still has a little sag. here's an older photo, please ignore my "night-shirt."

Attachments

SarahLVoe

SarahLVoe
Oct 14, 2012
I have a speedy 35 and 30. Used a base shaper in the 35 and noticed some rubbing on the corners and quickly took it out. Never used a base shaper in my 30 ( both bags ebene) and did not have any rubbing issues. So idk if it was the base shaper or not but I no longer use one and I am just glad I caught the rubbing while it was barely noticeable.

eal76

Feb 3, 2013
North America
i don't use a shaper but what i'll call more of an organizer because the Speedy because a big black hold with all my stuff scattered all over the bag. it's called "purse to go" and i get them off of e-Bay, it's an insert that has lots of pockets but even the one made for the 35 leaves some room so the bag still has a little sag. here's an older photo, please ignore my "night-shirt."
Thanks for the pic, I like the look of the speedy.
The night shirt is fabulous!!!! :biggrin:

eal76

Feb 3, 2013
North America
I have a speedy 35 and 30. Used a base shaper in the 35 and noticed some rubbing on the corners and quickly took it out. Never used a base shaper in my 30 ( both bags ebene) and did not have any rubbing issues. So idk if it was the base shaper or not but I no longer use one and I am just glad I caught the rubbing while it was barely noticeable.
Uh oh! Maybe I'll be changing my mind. Was it one of the rounded corner type shapers?

eal76

Feb 3, 2013
North America
I just bought a Princess cut base shaper, it is like acrylic and smooth and rounded at the edges...it has a little room to move around so it won't wear/destroy your corners and at only 20 bucks it was perfect!!
It makes sense that if It doesn't touch the corners that it won't hurt them. Hmmm...now I'm torn :biggrin:

Dtrivi89

Feb 3, 2013
Orlando, FL
It makes sense that if It doesn't touch the corners that it won't hurt them. Hmmm...now I'm torn :biggrin:
It depends on use...mine is not having any rubbing or wear issues and it is a princess cut. Maybe they fixed the issue. I think that a base shaper is almost necessary for me at least because I want the bottom and interior of my bag protected. There are lots of people on here who use shapers and have NO problem with wear on their corners

eal76

Feb 3, 2013
North America
It depends on use...mine is not having any rubbing or wear issues and it is a princess cut. Maybe they fixed the issue. I think that a base shaper is almost necessary for me at least because I want the bottom and interior of my bag protected. There are lots of people on here who use shapers and have NO problem with wear on their corners
hmmm...I am torn! I haven't worn the bag yet so I suppose I should wait until the handles darken a bit, fill her up, and take her for a test drive before I make my final decision. :biggrin:

Dtrivi89

Feb 3, 2013
Orlando, FL
UH OH! Ok, I'll try life without a shaper.
You should check some other threads...don't just go based on two diff opinions, I read a TON of threads and did a check list, more people were happy with their shapers than unhappy. I can't imagine my speedy without the shape. I HATE the slouch