Barenia and toile--any advice?

Sep 28, 2007
Hi ladies, I just purchased my first barenia and toile bag. I have limited experience with barenia (only a watch band), and no experience with toile. I thought the combination was quite classic, which I like. Any guidance about what to expect and what to be careful of when using the bag? and how to care for it? It's new to me, but several years old, so already has some scratches (which is fine with me, means I can start enjoying the bag as it's already been a bit broken in). Also, I'm wondering will this combination be very heavy for a kelly? thank you in advance.

congratulations on your lovely new-to-you bag! i have a barenia toile birkin and am careful to the extent that i don't wear denim or other clothes that are likely to have dye transfer as i would do for any light leather bag. i have found in the case of the occassional scuff, using mr. clean magic eraser or a clean white pencil eraser is effective on the toile. i recently had my pre-loved 2001 birkin SPA's and Manuela was able to lighten the handles which were darkened by previous owner and lessen the smiley. i find this b somewhat lighter than the others and am sure your kelly will be same.

Toile is much easier to care for than you would think. It has been treated by Hermes and is really quite dirt repellent. I use a damp cloth (soap and water) to wipe off my toile bags if needed. I just rub barenia with my fingers when I see a scratch etc. On the whole, toile bags are much lighter in weight than all leather and I am sure you will love it! I have several and I think I may need addiction therapy because I want more LOL!

Congratulations on your barenia & toile kelly. I have a barenia & toile birkin. Like Deloresmia, I avoid wearing it with dark clothes to avoid dye transfer. I also have used the Magic Eraser which works wonders. Unlike a full barenia bag, the toile will make your kelly quite light weight. I don't do much else to it but Docride has some information in her vintage thread (reference areas) on treating the barenia.

Congratulations! What a classic bag!!!

I have a barenia/toile evelyne that's almost two years old. I wear it cross body with dark denim all the time and I do get color transfer on the toile. I use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and some water and scrub and it comes right off. Make sure you invest in some.

As far as Barenia, I have a few bags and bracelets and they do scratch easy but you can usually rub them out with the oils on your hands. I haven't had too many problems with water spots but you do have to be careful of oils. There's quite a bit of info on Barenia care in the forum as the other posters have stated.
Enjoy your new bag and can't wait to see pics!! Congratz!