Bamboo maintenance

Ektevare

Dec 22, 2013
I have a vintage Gucci bag with bamboo handles where the bamboo half circle has expanded and stretched the leather hoops.

I am trying to tie the bamboo up tight, hoping that it over time will get the right shape and not put tension on the leather hoops.

Dose any one have any experience with this? Am I doing the right thing?

And how long should i keep the bamboo tied up under tension before it stays the shape i tied it up?

I had the bamboo tied up for about the past 2 weeks, and just checked on them now, and they are still stretch the leather hoops when they are not tied up under tension.

I have a vintage Gucci bag with bamboo handles where the bamboo half circle has expanded and stretched the leather hoops.

I am trying to tie the bamboo up tight, hoping that it over time will get the right shape and not put tension on the leather hoops.

Dose any one have any experience with this? Am I doing the right thing?

And how long should i keep the bamboo tied up under tension before it stays the shape i tied it up?

I had the bamboo tied up for about the past 2 weeks, and just checked on them now, and they are still stretch the leather hoops when they are not tied up under tension.

All info about bamboo is in here. I can't remember which post but someone had the same issue so have a read. Maybe it was you (?) :biggrin:

http://forum.purseblog.com/gucci/gucci-bamboo-top-handle-club-1947-till-now-592003.html

Obviously bamboo is naturally straight, but gucci heat and bend a very small and exact part of the stem to use on their bags. The heat is intense and the pressure immense. Once it's cured and treated it should last forever, much longer than any leather handle. The colour is then put on afterwards by staining or flaming with a naked flame. Gucci then use a plastic contraption to hold the handles after just made but these are brand new bags. There should be no movement with an older bag because like wood it dries out, if anything it would contract, not expand.

Probably, the bamboo was stored in a very humid place or got very hot and made it expand, it would have to been fairly severe as I've had a N>S Bamboo shopper with fairly thin handles (half the width of my BTHs) from the 1990s and the bamboo has stayed the same. They make furniture from bamboo (rattan) and are now building bikes from it so obviously something 'happened'.

I think you should contact Gucci. I'm sure they would advise you even if you didn't want anything done. I don't think that tying up will give it enough pressure and if there was enough pressure it might not contract the way you want it.

Post a pic and see if anyone else has ideas.

All info about bamboo is in here. I can't remember which post but someone had the same issue so have a read. Maybe it was you (?) :biggrin:

http://forum.purseblog.com/gucci/gucci-bamboo-top-handle-club-1947-till-now-592003.html

Obviously bamboo is naturally straight, but gucci heat and bend a very small and exact part of the stem to use on their bags. The heat is intense and the pressure immense. Once it's cured and treated it should last forever, much longer than any leather handle. The colour is then put on afterwards by staining or flaming with a naked flame. Gucci then use a plastic contraption to hold the handles after just made but these are brand new bags. There should be no movement with an older bag because like wood it dries out, if anything it would contract, not expand.

Probably, the bamboo was stored in a very humid place or got very hot and made it expand, it would have to been fairly severe as I've had a N>S Bamboo shopper with fairly thin handles (half the width of my BTHs) from the 1990s and the bamboo has stayed the same. They make furniture from bamboo (rattan) and are now building bikes from it so obviously something 'happened'.

I think you should contact Gucci. I'm sure they would advise you even if you didn't want anything done. I don't think that tying up will give it enough pressure and if there was enough pressure it might not contract the way you want it.

Post a pic and see if anyone else has ideas.
Haha, wasn't me who asked in the other thread, cause just got this vintage bag about 2-3 weeks ago :smile:

It was bought from Japan, and like you answered to my other question about the Diana bag, Japan is a humid place so maybe that's why the handles expanded.

I will try to upload a picture :smile:

The pictures of the handles.

I would pop into a proper Gucci store (i.e. not concession) ask them to take a look and for advice on how to re-correct them, I see exactly what you mean. I wonder if they can just bend them back a bit for you, I don't think it would necessarily cost too much.

BTW, in my yak yak I meant to say 'even stronger than rattan' :biggrin:

I would pop into a proper Gucci store (i.e. not concession) ask them to take a look and for advice on how to re-correct them, I see exactly what you mean. I wonder if they can just bend them back a bit for you, I don't think it would necessarily cost too much.

I would do the same. Please update as I've been planning to buy one with bamboo handles but after I've seen your pictures I'm now having second thoughts.

I would do the same. Please update as I've been planning to buy one with bamboo handles but after I've seen your pictures I'm now having second thoughts.

Dirtygate, I'm sure this is pretty extraordinary, bamboo handles are 100 x more durable and stable than any leather handles

Dirtygate, I'm sure this is pretty extraordinary, bamboo handles are 100 x more durable and stable than any leather handles

I second that, it think that what has happened to my bag is quite unusual.

I have the exact same bag in black that is perfectly fine.

My thoughts are that it probably happened shortly after it was made, maybe it needed more time to settle before it was put on the bag. I dont think this is something that happens over time. Depending on the consumer law in your country I would expect Gucci would give you a full refund if something like this happened to a new bag within the first few years after you bought it.

And if you buy a vintage one, just make sure to look carefully to make sure there are no stretches.

Hi, i went to Gucci boutique yesterday to check out thebamboo shopper tote.
The SA told me if u store the bag for some time (even a month) in wordrobe not using it, there's a retainer u can use to keep it in shape. Because of the humidity/ heat, the bamboo will go "straight"

The SA told me if u store the bag for some time (even a month) in wordrobe not using it, there's a retainer u can use to keep it in shape. Because of the humidity/ heat, the bamboo will go "straight"

It might be something like what they use when they make the bamboo handles but I honestly don't know.
I'm sure someone will know this :smile:

Gucci-Bamboo-7.jpg

I just answered you in the other thread (please try not to ask the same question in multiples of threads, it's can be confusing)

It might be something like what they use when they make the bamboo handles but I honestly don't know.
I'm sure someone will know this :smile:

Gucci-Bamboo-7.jpg

Exactly. The one I had on mine were just wider and thicker.

Fantastic and perfect picture btw :tup: