Bals you want to buy, plan to buy and those you can't quite make up your mind about

SomethingGoodCanWork

In Clown World on Prison Planet
Feb 10, 2017
I think it's great to be able to "think out loud" among other Bal lovers, newbies and experts, about the pros and cons of bags you'd like to buy or are planning to buy. And the bags you don't know if to keep or sell. Don't know if anyone is interested in doing this but I'll start.

I'm hoping to find and buy Classic City:s in red, in light brown and in blue. A blue bag is a new idea for me because until I saw all the blue Bals here, blue bags seemed a bit strict to me, more an office type bag colour. Well, the City changed my mind, but which Bal blue to choose?!

I've sort of come to the conclusion that a darker blue would be more versatile for me, because it'd go with any blue colour or any pair of jeans I'd wear. Balenciaga have what looks like a lovely dark blue City right now, the "Bleu de Minuit". I don't know if it's last season's colour or if it's new for F/W?

balbleudeminuit.jpg

Anyway, I'd would love to hear about somebody else's experience with choosing and wearing blue Bals, which blue you have found most versatile/practical etc. Please don't tell me you need more than one blue, I'm trying to be minimalistic about this and stay under five Bals :smile:

Or is there some other Bal and colour you're thinking about?

Love Bal Blues, my favorite color that Bal puts out.

I own three now, but if I could find an Officer or Blue Jean city in good condition, I'd snap them up.

The one you posted, I think I saw it at Saks, it was either that, or a black. I was rushed so didn't have time to really check any of the bags out (thanks hubs.. :sad:). But if I was looking for a new Blue, I would definitely give it consideration.

If you wanna use it as a neutral, even a light blue with a grey undertone would work. My Atlantique works with most colors, while my Bleu Mineral doesn't. So be careful when choosing. One Blue I thought I loved but didn't when I got it was Dark Night, too much like Black. I coveted that color for about 5 years, then got it and was soo disappointed.

Last edited:
Another reason for buying a few more Bals besides the pure joy of it, is rotation. BPC first brought it to my attention on another thread but others like ZestyPasta and CeeJay and more talk about it as well. And practically all of you do it which is obvious from all the lovely mod pics here. Rotation -> bag preservation :tup:
And this is also how I'm going to get my hubby along with my plan for more Bals. I know, this sounds very much like "shopping math" logic, but it is logical and as hubby always claims to be open to a good logical argument he can't veto this one. Rotation -> bag preservation -> taking care of your investments :graucho: :lol:

And no, in case you are wondering I'm not chained to the stove all the time, we just decide on all substantial purchases together ;)

Another reason for buying a few more Bals besides the pure joy of it, is rotation. BPC first brought it to my attention on another thread but others like ZestyPasta and CeeJay and more talk about it as well. And practically all of you do it which is obvious from all the lovely mod pics here. Rotation -> bag preservation :tup:
And this is also how I'm going to get my hubby along with my plan for more Bals. I know, this sounds very much like "shopping math" logic, but it is logical and as hubby always claims to be open to a good logical argument he can't veto this one. Rotation -> bag preservation -> taking care of your investments :graucho: :lol:

And no, in case you are wondering I'm not chained to the stove all the time, we just decide on all substantial purchases together ;)

If you're gonna use the "taking care of your investment" argument, don't let him see the current re-sale value :lol:.

Oh, and you don't have to explain yourself. Hubs and I also decide on certain purchases together if they're above a certain amount. I think most couples do :tup:.

If you're gonna use the "taking care of your investment" argument, don't let him see the current re-sale value :lol:.

Oh, and you don't have to explain yourself. Hubs and I also decide on certain purchases together if they're above a certain amount. I think most couples do :tup:.
I can't really tell him that as he would definitely look this up for himself to see if it was something to pursue :lol: Besides, I've already told him that Hermès is the only "true" bag investment so he will not be easily fooled. But I still think he is glad I'm not coveting H bags.

Reactions: BPC
Love Bal Blues, my favorite color that Bal puts out.

I own three now, but if I could find an Officer or Blue Jean city in good condition, I'd snap them up.

The one you posted, I think I saw it at Saks, it was either that, or a black. I was rushed so didn't have time to really check any of the bags out (thanks hubs.. :sad:). But if I was looking for a new Blue, I would definitely give it consideration.

If you wanna use it as a neutral, even a light blue with a grey undertone would work. My Atlantique works with most colors, while my Bleu Mineral doesn't. So be careful when choosing. One Blue I thought I loved but didn't when I got it was Dark Night, too much like Black. I coveted that color for about 5 years, then got it and was soo disappointed.
I know it probably also has its pros and cons but it must be fantastic to live in NYC and not just because you can pop down to Saks to have a look at the latest Bals :smile: (Totally OT but yesterday I met a 4 month old English Bulldog puppy while shopping with my kids. She was so sweet and tried to climb in to our car with her chubby little paws :love: I think it was the first time I've ever seen a Bulldog puppy).

Yes, I think I've read here before that Bal blues are not all neutrals that go with everything. I have no idea about the Bleu de Minuit, it does look pretty dark. maybe it's more like the Dark Night? If you get the chance and time, and can shake the hubs :smile: please do some more snooping at Saks. I think this is one bag I'd like to buy new, so I can always return it in case the colour isn't what I hoped for.

I love all the blue Bals but yeah, I think they can be a minefield because there are so many with different undertones. FWIW, blu obsure is out right now IIRC and someone here said it is a very dark lavender.

I am looking at a gray Bal - probably the small size in metallic edge. I have a tan first with giant hardware and I actually like the extra bling. It makes it look even more distinctive. Plus gray can be boring as hell and the hardware livens it up. My gray is kinda like your blue - going for a versatile cool toned neutral.

I love all the blue Bals but yeah, I think they can be a minefield because there are so many with different undertones. FWIW, blu obsure is out right now IIRC and someone here said it is a very dark lavender.

I am looking at a gray Bal - probably the small size in metallic edge. I have a tan first with giant hardware and I actually like the extra bling. It makes it look even more distinctive. Plus gray can be boring as hell and the hardware livens it up. My gray is kinda like your blue - going for a versatile cool toned neutral.
I guess you have to see them for real but in pictures the Bleu de Minuit looks to be the "easiest" blue of these three.
Bleu Obscur...
balbleuobscur.jpg
... and Gris Chartreux.
balgrischartreux.jpg
And Bleu de Minuit. You can see the blue better on Bal's own site where you can zoom in on the bag. Edit to add that I just compared this Minuit to Dark Night and on my screen they look really similar, both very dark.
balbleudeminuit.jpg

Last edited:
I know it probably also has its pros and cons but it must be fantastic to live in NYC and not just because you can pop down to Saks to have a look at the latest Bals :smile: (Totally OT but yesterday I met a 4 month old English Bulldog puppy while shopping with my kids. She was so sweet and tried to climb in to our car with her chubby little paws :love: I think it was the first time I've ever seen a Bulldog puppy).

Yes, I think I've read here before that Bal blues are not all neutrals that go with everything. I have no idea about the Bleu de Minuit, it does look pretty dark. maybe it's more like the Dark Night? If you get the chance and time, and can shake the hubs :smile: please do some more snooping at Saks. I think this is one bag I'd like to buy new, so I can always return it in case the colour isn't what I hoped for.

I think bulldog puppies are the cutest thing in the world. They make my heart melt. But then again, I also think adult bulldogs are the cutest thing in the world..lol
This is one of mine when he was about 10 weeks old.
BABY BLUE.jpg

They opened up a luxury mall right near me. It's so close I don't even need to cross a street to get there.
Gucci, Ferragamo, Burberry, Hermes, BV, Saks and a bunch of other high end stores.
It's very dangerous on my wallet, But so far, I've been good. That's definitely one of the pluses of living here, all the options.

But I'd have no problem moving to the country permanently. Just waiting for the day hubs says he's had enough of the corporate world, so we can pack up and get the hell out..lol..

I can definitely stop off either tonight, or tomorrow morning and see if Saks has it. If they do, I'll get pics.

I guess you have to see them for real but in pictures the Bleu de Minuit looks to be the "easiest" blue of these three.
Bleu Obscur...
View attachment 3706716
... and Gris Chartreux.
View attachment 3706717
And Bleu de Minuit. You can see the blue better on Bal's own site where you can zoom in on the bag. Edit to add that I just compared this Minuit to Dark Night and on my screen they look really similar, both very dark.
View attachment 3706722

I don't think these pics represent the true colors. I remember seeing Bleu Obscur and thinking it was gorgeous. I even considered selling my Bleu Mineral because I wanted Blue Obscur so baldy and couldn't justify two blue bags. Kicking myself now for not getting.. ahh well.

I agree it is good to have more bags to rotate so your bags don't wear out quickly. My opinion is that the first one you posted (bleu de minuite) is too close to black at least in the picture. If you want a dark navy, then perhaps the blue de minuite is good. Otherwise, I suggest a true blue. The blue obscur is pretty. Have you looked at Indigo? It appears to be quite gorgeous. There is an excellent one up now in US EB. IMO, it is just as hard to find the right blue as it is to find the right red. Good luck and let us know. And you are too funny with your chained to the stove comment (you always make me laugh:smile:).

I think it's great to be able to "think out loud" among other Bal lovers, newbies and experts, about the pros and cons of bags you'd like to buy or are planning to buy. And the bags you don't know if to keep or sell. Don't know if anyone is interested in doing this but I'll start.

I'm hoping to find and buy Classic City:s in red, in light brown and in blue. A blue bag is a new idea for me because until I saw all the blue Bals here, blue bags seemed a bit strict to me, more an office type bag colour. Well, the City changed my mind, but which Bal blue to choose?!

I've sort of come to the conclusion that a darker blue would be more versatile for me, because it'd go with any blue colour or any pair of jeans I'd wear. Balenciaga have what looks like a lovely dark blue City right now, the "Bleu de Minuit". I don't know if it's last season's colour or if it's new for F/W?

View attachment 3706583

Anyway, I'd would love to hear about somebody else's experience with choosing and wearing blue Bals, which blue you have found most versatile/practical etc. Please don't tell me you need more than one blue, I'm trying to be minimalistic about this and stay under five Bals :smile:

Or is there some other Bal and colour you're thinking about?
Girl, what a fun thread you started! LOVE everyone's comments thus far.:tup:
Big fan of the rotation concept....it definitely helps preserve all bags, but in the same breath I think you may recall i am into downsizing lately & I am not a fan of having too many bags that are going unused. I am off from work for 2 glorious weeks & my main #1 project/priority was doing the "KonMari" method after finishing Marie Kondo's book. Today was day #1 with clothes...IT IS DIFFICULT!:eek::facepalm:Bags will be easier because I know which "spark joy" & are easy keepers.
Per your new quest for a Bal blue, may i also suggest "Officier" if you can find one....i sold mine but it was a gorgeous darker blue/navy. I also had a mid-tone blue called "Tempete" which i think is really versatile because it has grey tones in it (well, in my opinion that's how i saw the color). I'm not as familiar with the newest Bal color names for blue aside from what's been mentioned so far.
If i were to splurge & get a new Bal, I'm pretty sure I'd choose a ME with gold hardware (that darn @rx4dsoul , sweet thing that she is)made me crave one really bad this morning seeing her fab mod!
Best of luck on the blue search dearest SGCW!!:flowers::wave::happydance::hugs:

I think bulldog puppies are the cutest thing in the world. They make my heart melt. But then again, I also think adult bulldogs are the cutest thing in the world..lol
This is one of mine when he was about 10 weeks old.
View attachment 3706772

They opened up a luxury mall right near me. It's so close I don't even need to cross a street to get there.
Gucci, Ferragamo, Burberry, Hermes, BV, Saks and a bunch of other high end stores.
It's very dangerous on my wallet, But so far, I've been good. That's definitely one of the pluses of living here, all the options.

But I'd have no problem moving to the country permanently. Just waiting for the day hubs says he's had enough of the corporate world, so we can pack up and get the hell out..lol..

I can definitely stop off either tonight, or tomorrow morning and see if Saks has it. If they do, I'll get pics.
:hbeat::loveeyes:Holy Moly THAT is just THE sweetest pup ever!!!! My hubs desperately wants a dog (but we are waiting until we retire) & we've both come to agree that a bulldog is top of list. I will show him your sweet little lad later tonight dear BPC!! LOVE him!!:love: