Ballet flats with a thicker, more supportive soles?

Greentea

O.G.
Feb 28, 2006
I have a few pairs of ballet flats and love the look but want a pair with more support that I could bring to Europe (this would not be my primary walking/sightseeing shoe, but something that would be both stylish and comfy while shopping and strolling around for a few hours in Rome or those Paris cobblestone streets.) I'd also like this pair to ideally be dressy enough that I might not need to bring another pair of shoes for going out at night.
Does anyone have suggestions? Price isn't the main issue and I'll spend the money if the shoes are worth it. :yes:

Thanks in advance!

I can highly recommend the popular Michael Kors Gillian. They're like a cross between a ballet flat and a driving moc. Unlike ballet flats, they have a full padded insole.

I would, however, suggest walking in them for a couple of days before you bring them to Europe. I found them uncomfortable in a strange way the first time I wore them. It's hard to describe, but at first it felt like the insole was all wrong for me. It seems like the pressure points were in all the wrong places. It seemed as if it was stretching my arch and putting too much pressure on the ball of my foot.

However, after the second day of wearing them, they transformed into one of the most comfortable pair of shoes I own. I think the insole take a few hours to mold itself to your shape and break in, then it's very comfortable from then on.

They're also just super cute looking shoes, especially in the chamois beige leather color. Look for them at shoes.com, Zappo's and seven some Macy's.

I love ballet flats for a change of pace but I have high arches so I have to be careful. Although it may not be your taste, I tend toward driving mocs to get a little more support than a ballet flat.

I found a really cute MICHAEL Michael Kors driving moc that has the ties in front like a ballet flat would (perfect hybrid!) in metallic gold at Macy's last month. I can't find a pic, sorry, but they feel great and I'd pick them up in basic black and brown if I could find 'em!

what about a chanel ballet flat- like the classic with the patent toe? i think that could go from day to night and they're very comfortable. they also have the new ones that have a shorter front so you see a little toe cleavage. my mom bought them today and they're super cute.

I second the recommendation of the Me Toos. I'd only suggest these because I think they're a bit dressier. The Nordy's stores only seem to have black in stock, but online has some other colors. I would recommend that you break them in first though. At first the fabric around the shoe is a little tight on the first couple of wears, but after that they're SUPER comfy!

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2937152...Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6003540&P=1

I'd also recommend these Cole Haans. They're cute, a little sportier, but REALLY comfortable--I can go for hours in these shoes!

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/c...00000cat980731cat6000734cat10990731cat7230759

I have a huge collection of ballet flats and my favorite brand is Me Too. I have them in black patent and bronze leather. The quality is great and it's under $100. Also, it's the only ballet flat I have that has a padded bottom. I'm going to wear them when I go to Disneyland in two weeks.

I have to somewhat disagree about Taryn Rose- I bought a pair of the most popular and supposedly comfortable styles made by her. They were awful. No arch support at all.

My suggestion would be to look at the Cole Haan Nike Line OR Aerosoles. I've traveled a lot and the other big peice of advice is that the shoes be well broken in before you leave. Bring several pairs of comfortable/broken in shoes and alternate them from day to day.

GT I don't know if this is too late, I only came across this thread today. I wear a lot of ballet flats and I walk a lot. The best for me by far is a pair of gold (not bright gold, more like a platinum gold) ballet flats by Bruno Magli that I got at Bloomindales over a year ago. I don't know if they still make them but the style is so classic I can't imagine Bruno Magli doesn't make some variation of this. They are so much more comfortable than Tod's (I wear the Degas ballerina) and Tory Burch (Reva).