Travel Bali .... 1st time

emms2381

Nov 1, 2011
Ok so I'm thinking of surprising my husband with a trip to Bali, we have had a rough and hectic year since we got married and I figure we could use some R&R.

Traveling from the UK and thinking of staying in Sanur, what I'm looking for is advice on how much things costs e.g. Meals, drinks excursions...

Then also looking for tips on traveling and places to see.

Any help would be greatly appreciated x

I have never been to Bali (and have no desire at all to go) but plenty of my friends have. Apparently it's really cheap! Don't drink anything that doesn't come from a bottle, especially when talking about alcohol. In fact only drink directly from the bottle.

On a plus side it will feel like you are in Australia with the amount of Aussies that travel there :biggrin:

I have never been to Bali (and have no desire at all to go) but plenty of my friends have. Apparently it's really cheap! Don't drink anything that doesn't come from a bottle, especially when talking about alcohol. In fact only drink directly from the bottle.

On a plus side it will feel like you are in Australia with the amount of Aussies that travel there :biggrin:

Thanks.... lol

By the non replies I am seriously regretting booking it

Why are you regretting booking? Just look on TripAdvisor for exact recommendations.

Bali is magical. My sister in law lives in Sanur. It’s a wonderful, quiet area that is untouched by tourists. I’ll try and find the restaurants we loved, but if you go local, it’s like $2 for a plate of 3 healthy options plus a free fresh squeezed juice. No wonder all the health nuts and yogis love Bali.

But of course you have the more upscale restaurants that cater to westerners so you could spend $15-40 per person at a meal.

Agree with the poster above, stick to bottled water and brush your teeth with bottled water. You can never be too careful in Asia.

Be sure to arrange for short trips to Ubud too, lots of picturesque restaurants. Kuta has a row of beachfront restaurants for you to eat dinner watching the sunset.

Last edited:
Thanks.... lol

By the non replies I am seriously regretting booking it

Bali is amazing, one of my favorite places for sure. There are many different experiences in Bali. I stayed in Ubud and never went to a beach resort. The spa treatments are incredible. I went to local spas. Some treatments cost $2USD. It is amazing. I spent a lot of time having treatments, eating amazing food and going around the island. People are so nice.

Haha the last point is a downside for me. last thing I want is seeing too many fellow aussies in a different country.

Bali is a wonderful place - and large enough to get away from rowdy (...) Aussies if you want to.
I particularly like the "hinterland" away from the beaches. Ubud is very touristy but if you travel outside the town, you see a very scenic and serene side of Bali.
Enjoy!

Why are you regretting booking? Just look on TripAdvisor for exact recommendations.

Bali is magical. My sister in law lives in Sanur. It’s a wonderful, quiet area that is untouched by tourists. I’ll try and find the restaurants we loved, but if you go local, it’s like $2 for a plate of 3 healthy options plus a free fresh squeezed juice. No wonder all the health nuts and yogis love Bali.

But of course you have the more upscale restaurants that cater to westerners so you could spend $15-40 per person at a meal.

Agree with the poster above, stick to bottled water and brush your teeth with bottled water. You can never be too careful in Asia.

Be sure to arrange for short trips to Ubud too, lots of picturesque restaurants. Kuta has a row of beachfront restaurants for you to eat dinner watching the sunset.

Hiya

Thanks so much for the useful insight!

Your pictures are lovely, where were they taken?

I'm looking to do a trip to nusa penida, maybe looking to head to Lovina to catch the dolphins.

I'm staying in Sanur, I've heard the beaches are pretty terrible in Bali is this true? If you have been Sanur is this the case?

Anything else you can recommend???

I keep thinking about staying for a night in nusa penida but depends if I can get accom cheap enough as it will be pointless paying a lot when I've already booked a place for the duration

Bali is a wonderful place - and large enough to get away from rowdy (...) Aussies if you want to.
I particularly like the "hinterland" away from the beaches. Ubud is very touristy but if you travel outside the town, you see a very scenic and serene side of Bali.
Enjoy!

Thank you.

I'm not sure about ubud, I might go but I'm uncertain

Anywhere in particular you can recommend? Any off the beaten track beaches??

X

Hiya

Thanks so much for the useful insight!

Your pictures are lovely, where were they taken?

I'm looking to do a trip to nusa penida, maybe looking to head to Lovina to catch the dolphins.

I'm staying in Sanur, I've heard the beaches are pretty terrible in Bali is this true? If you have been Sanur is this the case?

Anything else you can recommend???

I keep thinking about staying for a night in nusa penida but depends if I can get accom cheap enough as it will be pointless paying a lot when I've already booked a place for the duration

Those pics were taken in Sanur beach, Jimbaran beach and a very remote bed & breakfast called Batu Belah..

Don’t know what you mean by the beaches being terrible in Bali, I thought they were incredible but perhaps you can be more specific about what you’re looking for in a beach?

Ubud is where all the gorgeous resorts are.. I see all the social media folks having beautiful dinners there. I went only for the monkey forest.

ps if you booked a place for the duration, could you just cancel it? The cities are quite far from each other and I think I would want to stay in each city for a few nights each

Those pics were taken in Sanur beach, Jimbaran beach and a very remote bed & breakfast called Batu Belah..

Don’t know what you mean by the beaches being terrible in Bali, I thought they were incredible but perhaps you can be more specific about what you’re looking for in a beach?

Ubud is where all the gorgeous resorts are.. I see all the social media folks having beautiful dinners there. I went only for the monkey forest.

I just keep hearing that they are full of rubbish?

Yeah I'm looking at the monkey forest looking to go Padang pandang beach I think in uluwatu

Which ones are in Sanur? What time of the year did you go?

Also no I can't cancel my room as already prebooked and no cancellations

I just keep hearing that they are full of rubbish?

Yeah I'm looking at the monkey forest looking to go Padang pandang beach I think in uluwatu

Which ones are in Sanur? What time of the year did you go?

Also no I can't cancel my room as already prebooked and no cancellations

I did not get that experience in any of the beaches I visited... Sanur and Jimbaran especially. Didn’t see any trash or drunken Australians hahah

The beachez were so peaceful and quiet with very few people around including no tourists (until dinnertime in Jimbaran, then people come out). It was serene and not like other countries like Mexico where you step on the beach and there’s people swarming around to sell trinkets.

I was there in December.