Balenciaga v. LV?

vagabag

O.G.
Dec 31, 2006
Balenciaga still doesn't really appeal to me but it seems like everyone loves them and they sell out like hot cakes! I feel like the look is way different from LV. How do you ladies like their bags? I'm turned off by all the hardware, I think. It looks so heavy to carry - am i wrong? If you have both, how do u compare them?

Reactions: Namwan-
I don't like B-bags at all! I honestly thought I would from pictures, but seeing thing IRL was a completely different story. I don't mean to offend anyone, but IMHO the leather and hardware feels so cheap!:Push:

Love Bal! The regular hardware items are super light and the leathers and colors are divine!

I love their slouchiness compared to LV's more structured items

Mind you, I can compare my Denim Cabby with Bal's more unstructured bags

Many tPFers enjoy collecting more than one designer - I have lots of loves

Just a caution that these kinds of threads can quickly turn into "bashing" of other brands that are represented here on tPF... PLEASE BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR COMMENTS

Love Bal! The regular hardware items are super light and the leathers and colors are divine!

Is Bal's leather pretty scratch resistant? Do you find Bal's workmanship better? To be honest, I don't think LV's work is that great but I just love the look and style so I'm a devotee.

ITA, I have just bought my first Bal and I have to say that the leather is one of the most beautiful things I have ever felt. I think LV and Bal are very different.

I think Bal has amazing craftsmanship and the brand has come a long long way from what it once was. Sometimes LV is a little too flashy and its nice to have something subtle and looks high end but is not over logo'd and screams "I HAVE A DESIGNER BAG" but I like them both for different reasons and its nice to have a change.

Last edited:
ITA, I have just bought my first Bal and I have to say that the leather is one of the most beautiful things I have ever felt. I think LV and Bal are very different.

I agree. They are two different bags with completely different looks. It really just depends on your personal taste. I personally have both and depending on my mood i wear one or the other.;)

Yes, it's important to notmake this tunr into a bash fest. But, asking thisquestion in an LV forum, a forum full of fans of a brand that has such a different history and most of a a very different brand of design and overall appearance, one would not expect the most positive response in favor of Bal.

The above applies to me. Bal bag do not at all appeal to me, they look very rock-casual, they are slouchy, consist of (mostly) monochromatic leather and big hardware. That being said, I can appreciate them on a different person. Depeding on your style, they can make an outfit look totally cool ithout overpoering it like some LVs may have a slight tendency of doing. While an LV will be an LV no matter if you wearit with nicer clothes or not, allthough it can be overpowering, a balenciaga IMO will not look as good with as many outfits or styles.

ALl of the above is assuming you buy one of the classic bals.

I would never buy a balenciaga unless there were major changes made to the brand, it simply doesen't appeal to me in most ways (craftsmanship, design finish etc). However, I would suggest for you to go to the store and try them on to see ho they work with your outfit and style. Maybe they are perfect for you! :tup:

ANd remember to post the reveal! :yahoo:

I have and adore both LV as well as Bal. I love the slouchiness and leather of Bal, and how it goes great with jeans. It can be a very low maintenance, casual cool sort of bag. It's also nice that it looks better with time! (breaking in, etc) I have a giant hardware hobo, and it actually is not too heavy at all. Some other bags like the trevi pm and manhattan pm are much heavier.

I can see why Bal sells well though! It's different, very rocker chic.

But if you're asking how do I compare them....well...nothing compares to LV!!!!!!

I think Balenciaga bags are gorgeous! beautiful smooshy leather and easy/light to carry. Plus you can be subtle with a neutral color or get something fun and bright! I prefer the small h/w to the giant though.

I love both my Bal and LVs. I think the quality on both are awesome, the bags are so well made. What I like about Bal is all the wonderful colours and that they're so light to carry. What I like about LV is that those are such sturdy bags and will last me through everything. And I do like LVs small leather goods better (wallet and iPod etui).