Balenciaga question

So for those of you with bags with the new leather, is it sturdy? When I looked at the bags, the leather just seemed very paper-thin and fragile. How does it hold up?

pseub said:
So for those of you with bags with the new leather, is it sturdy? When I looked at the bags, the leather just seemed very paper-thin and fragile. How does it hold up?

I have several F05 and S06 bags...leather has held up very well. Absolutely no issues...

pseub said:

Psueb, the leather is really gorgeous. It's thin but strong. I love it. The bag is super light. Def. the perfect shopping bag!!!:love:

pseub said:

Mine is holding up pretty well considering I've been carrying it exclusively for the last 4 months. The leather is getting better with age (and use).

The only complaint I have is regarding the tassels on the zipper pulls....mine have come apart and look like crap. On the main zipper pull, two of the tassels broke off...I probably got them caught in my car door. :sad2:

esiders said:
Mine is holding up pretty well considering I've been carrying it exclusively for the last 4 months. The leather is getting better with age (and use).

The only complaint I have is regarding the tassels on the zipper pulls....mine have come apart and look like crap. On the main zipper pull, two of the tassels broke off...I probably got them caught in my car door. :sad2:

Ya, the tassel on the zipper pull is on my nerves too. :lol:

umamanikam said:
i guess the distressed and veiny look makes the bags authentic otherwise they would look like any other

i wouldn't say that. i think distressed and veiny just makes them look distressed and veiny. some prefer that look while others don't.

Irissy said:
They changed their leather to the new shiny, thin, crinkly kind around Fall 2005. I heard they're going back to the "old" leather the end of this year so I'm waiting on that one. I have the bordeaux first in the new shiny leather but is not that crinkly and nasty so I don't mind that. But I'm hoping for the old matte thicker leather to come back.

Which one are you thinking of buying?

Hmm....I have a fall 2005 black and it's very thick, smooshy and soft - In my observation the crackly/waxy leathers came out in 2006...?

My 2005 black:
DSCN0658_1.jpg

Don't mind the BF in this one, lol
DSCN0443.jpg

To the OP - I have seen some people on the forum who've bought new black bbags and they look FANTASTIC - I myself personally have purchased 2 city bags (cornflower and rose) from spring 2006 and returned/sold both because the leather was just so different from my 05 black. But based on the pictures of some of the PF'ers new bags here I'm thinking the f/w 06 bags may have nicer leather - maybe you saw an s/s? Here's a link to what I'm referring to specifically:
http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga/my-first-black-city-yiiippppeee-41283.html

pseub said:

I agree that there is a big variation in the leathers now. Mine is S/S 06 City, and it's very nice and smooshy, with some slight veining still on the sides. I found that it really softened up with use and some leather conditioner. When I compared mine to some of the F/W 06, it was hard to believe it was the same bag!

The new leather holds up well - the leather is thin, but very strong... been using it daily as my work bag, and it's been great!

I really believe that the crackly, thin leather is just the result of the application of the glaze and once that has worn off, the result will be the thick smooshy leather of yore. Countless times we are reading about bags getting better with age and USE, conditioning etc. All of these things are breaking down the glaze and the leather is getting softer and thicker. Honestly, this has happened with my grey Twiggy. It is a very veiny bag (this is what I prefer) and it will be as soft as my Sky Blue soon.

Give it a couple of years and people will be begging for 06 bags! : )

I wish you well,

Bridget