Balenciaga Newbie - in search of answers - please help

jburgh

BV ~ Ferragamo ~ TODs
O.G.
Aug 17, 2007
Hello - I am brand new to the world of bbags and have a few questions regarding styles and background. I tried to do a little research, but just couldn't find a concise reference. Perhaps the answers by the seasoned bbag lovers can help other newbies, too.

A few days ago I visited the Barneys in Seattle, to look at a Miu Miu bag on hold for me. It was just too large. But something caught my eyes - the Balenciaga collection there. For such a small store, they have quite a selection.

On display were a collection of bags with large thimble sized studs, that were really cool! Some were satchels and others were shoulder or messenger style. None of these had the long laces from the zipper pulls. Then about 5 feet away, there were several satchels of varying sizes that had small aged brass studs. These had laces. This is where my questions begin...

1. Are the large studded bags a new or newer style?
2. Are the small studded bags an older or traditional style?
3. What exactly is a city bag? Is is an individual style of satchel, or a more broad category consisting of several shapes that share a look?
4. What is the motorcycle bag or bags? I see mention made of motorcycle "city" bags, how are they different?

Well, thanks in advance for your help, and tolerance. The Balenciaga website just does not have this information.

Go to www.diabro.net, click on Ladies (on the left) then on Balenciaga. Take a look at the different bags. Also, here in TPF, under Balenciaga you can search under Reference Library and shopping. You will find everything that you need.

Go to www.diabro.net, click on Ladies (on the left) then on Balenciaga. Take a look at the different bags. Also, here in TPF, under Balenciaga you can search under Reference Library and shopping. You will find everything that you need.

Thanks - I just spend some time on that site, but it did not answer my questions. Specifically the larger thimble sized hardware and the "Motorcycle" designation.

Yea! Welcome to Balenciaga! Im sorta a newbie myself, but I'll try to answer your Q's:

1. Are the large studded bags a new or newer style?
Newer style gold came out first, then silver. Silver is the newest. Also referred to as Gold Giant Hardware (GGH) and Silver Giant Hardware (GSH).

2. Are the small studded bags an older or traditional style?
Older and traditional. They still make these Regular Hardware (RH) bags.

3. What exactly is a city bag? Is is an individual style of satchel, or a more broad category consisting of several shapes that share a look?
City bag is specific name, it is a medium size bag, with two handles AND shoulder strap. It is the one Nicole Richie carries everywhere.

4. What is the motorcycle bag or bags? I see mention made of motorcycle "city" bags, how are they different?
I think that motorcycle bag is a 'nickname' for either the first small bag that came out (called classic or first) or could be a nickname for the whole line?

Hope this helps!

Hi and welcome to our little slice of the tPF! I think bt did a great job answering the Q's! I'll just add my $0.02 regarding the last question.

When we say motorcycle or moto bags, we're talking about the whole line in general. They're called Moto bags because of motorcyle saddle bags that they're inspired by. The line is characterized by the studs, the shapes, and the awesome tassels! Moto city would be the aforementioned "Nicole Richie" bag - although she has been known to carry Firsts (the smaller one with a strap and tassels.) and Weekenders (a large one with 3 studs on the handle/bag connector) and the odd Courier (large, long strap style) too.

I hope this helps some! Again, welcome aboard!

Thanks brunettetiger and couturefemme for addressing my questions.

The one I liked at Barney's (city with GSH) did not have a single tassle. Is this typical of the new bags? It did have the mirror attached by a leather strap.

Hihi I'm a Bbag newbie too, also trying to find out more hehee.. I found that looking at all the pics of the bags in the reference lib really helped for me. Helped to identify the bag I saw and fell in love with but didn't know the name of :P

This thread really helped me too!

Moto city would be the aforementioned "Nicole Richie" bag - although she has been known to carry Firsts (the smaller one with a strap and tassels.) and Weekenders (a large one with 3 studs on the handle/bag connector) and the odd Courier (large, long strap style) too.

She's also carried the Work style quite a bit.

A lot of your questions may be answered in the Balenciaga Reference Library ... start browsing around there! :yes:

I especially like the Dimensions and Prices for all Balenciaga Styles thread, and the Color Charts by Year, All in one Place thread.

Thanks again -I really appreciate all the help. I have fallen for the bbag City with the giant silver hardware. I sew a lot and it reminds me of thimbles! Wouldn't this be a great bag for a quilter? Gregory (a great SA) at the tiny Seattle Barneys is getting me a chocolate brown with the silver hardware. :yahoo: I saw the messenger style at the store, so I know I like the color combination. I'll keep you posted when it gets here.

^^That's so true, I've heard negative connotations as to the thimble resemblance. I like the way the GH looks, though it did have to grow on me for bit in the beginning! I can't wait to see pictures of your on-the-way gorgeous new bag! Congrats!