Balenciaga Hobo vs April 77 black denim

sikar

O.G.
May 15, 2008
This is my first post motivated by my sense of responsibility towards a friends recent purchase.

I introduced her to the wonderful world of Balenciaga and she immediately bought 2 bags from the boutique in London. One was the hobo in coral red and the other was the city in light blue. We then also went on a shopping spree and she bought a couple of black denim April 77 jeans.

Well last weekend she was wearing the aforesaid jeans and hobo only to realise that the black dye from the jeans had rubbed off onto her hobo and formed quite an awful black patch on the side of the hobo it grazed against.

She is so distressed about this and I feel responsible as a friend to try and help her get the bag back to normal condition.

So for the Balenciaga experts here, if you have had a similar experience, any advice would be much appreciated. We have contacted the Balenciaga boutique and Jonathan (the manager and a superb salesman) has offered to help us out to the best of their ability but I am a little paranoid that if it does not work, my friend will be absolutely shattered. Especially since she had long shunned any designer-type bags and fallen head over heels over Balenciaga.

So please do let me know if you have the solution for us.

Much appreciated!

yes baby wipes are a good thing to carry with you..whether you have a baby or not..you can get the teeny disposabale pack and whip it out on such occasions.. maybe I need a pretty CP to carry them in ? :graucho:

Denim rub is one of the worst things isn't it - just something to be careful of regardless of bag brand.

Try some generic leather cleaser sold at shoe repair places, the babywipes also have a good reputation - as does the "magic eraser" - see dior forum - there is a similar thread running at the moment with a white dior bag and denim rub marks.

Good luck!

Hopefully the baby wipes will work.

Don't feel guilty. This is no more your fault than it is hers. Stuff happens. This was just a really unfortunate thing... and it may even be reversible (fingers crossed).

Thanks so much for all the responses and empathy.

I actually went out and bought Huggies wipes and managed to clean off the black denim streaks.

However.....now there is a wet patch and she asked me whether there will be a dried out ring patch around the area once the leather dries.....

Any idea? Otherwise, looks like my good intentions may have truly backfired! :sweatdrop:

No should be fine. I got caught in the rain with my 05 Olive Day (one of those lovely days in the UK!) and my bag was drenched with big dark soaked patches, but it dried very quickly with no marks at all.

Actually, there is a patch in the area I cleaned off (the bag is dry now). The wipes did take off some of the coral red dye and it does look like a blotch on the bag. She wanted the boutique to help her with it as she felt if something like this happened that they would take some responsibility but I guess I was just too eager (and guilty) to help her out.

I'm going to call the boutique to ask if they can actually help redye the bag. I have my fingers crossed but.....:crybaby:

Last edited:
p.s. she just came into my office and left the bag on my table saying she was too upset to talk about it....I should have just waited until tomorrow but I really wanted to help.....£650 on me now.....
:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby: