Balenciaga Hip - yay or nay

Mar 24, 2012
Hi all,

I've been interested in the Hip bag recently and I would like to know what your thoughts are on this style.

To provide a bit of background, I am partial to small crossbody bags. I'm looking to add a Hip metallic edge in black with silver hardware to my collection to use as an errand/casual bag. I am a new mum, and have a separate bag to carry my baby things in (usually stored in the pram). I prefer to carry my own essentials in a small crossbody - iPhone 6S Plus, compact wallet, keys and sunnies.

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

Although I love the look of this little bag, it needs to also be functional and practical for me to use it. I would love to hear your thoughts on this beauty, whether it fits all your essentials (plus any extras), how well it is wearing, any cons?

Reactions: CSG
I have this exact bag but with gold metallic edge, rather than silver. It's fab!, and will easily hold all the essentials you mention, as long as your sunnies case is slim! The current ME Hips are made of goatskin which is durable and you won't have any wear worries. The only con for me is that Bal in their infinite wisdom (not) have shortened the Hip strap so it sits quite high if you wear it crossbody. There is a bit of space on the strap if you wanted to punch a couple of extra holes but I'm not so keen on doing that so I'm just getting used to it riding high as opposed to swinging low iykwim!

Reactions: julietoscar
I also have a Hip, but if you have a Bal money-sized wallet, or large sunglasses case, it will not fit inside. Usually I just put my lipstick, phone, debit card and I.D. in it, and it's very roomy. I like wearing it cross-body under my coat in the winter, it is a very stylish bag and so lightweight. I recommend it!

Reactions: julietoscar
I have this exact bag but with gold metallic edge, rather than silver. It's fab!, and will easily hold all the essentials you mention, as long as your sunnies case is slim! The current ME Hips are made of goatskin which is durable and you won't have any wear worries. The only con for me is that Bal in their infinite wisdom (not) have shortened the Hip strap so it sits quite high if you wear it crossbody. There is a bit of space on the strap if you wanted to punch a couple of extra holes but I'm not so keen on doing that so I'm just getting used to it riding high as opposed to swinging low iykwim!

I'm actually glad to hear that they have shortened the strap as I am a shorty! I'm about 158CM (5'2")

I also have a Hip, but if you have a Bal money-sized wallet, or large sunglasses case, it will not fit inside. Usually I just put my lipstick, phone, debit card and I.D. in it, and it's very roomy. I like wearing it cross-body under my coat in the winter, it is a very stylish bag and so lightweight. I recommend it!

I do agree that is is a very stylish bag, I wonder why I don't hear about the Hip as much.

I am 155cm and am also a mom, expecting my second child 3 jan (!). I also prefer to carry baby things in a diaper bag and then my own essentials in a small crossbody bag, the best way!

Of course I have a Balenciaga Hip ;) It is a perfect small crossbody for essentials. Mine is black with GGHW, from 2010 I think. The strap is quite long, so the new strap might be just perfect for a shortie like us :smile:

I could take a picture of similar essentials in my Hip, brb!

I am 155cm and am also a mom, expecting my second child 3 jan (!). I also prefer to carry baby things in a diaper bag and then my own essentials in a small crossbody bag, the best way!

Of course I have a Balenciaga Hip ;) It is a perfect small crossbody for essentials. Mine is black with GGHW, from 2010 I think. The strap is quite long, so the new strap might be just perfect for a shortie like us :smile:

I could take a picture of similar essentials in my Hip, brb!

Here are some pictures, maybe not the best but anyway!

View attachment 3549710
Here are similar things to your essentials. LV Key pouch + Ray Ban sun glasses in slim case + LV Zippy Coin Purse (ca 11cm wide)

View attachment 3549712
Plenty of room left, even with my iPhone 6 in it.

View attachment 3549714
And this is how it looks when zipped.

You Hip is fab, it's so pretty! Thank you so much for taking the time to take the photos! That is probably all I would carry in it myself, phone, LV 6 key holder, a 3/4 size Prada wallet and sunnies in soft case. Your zippy coin purse is stunning, by the way. I think the replies on this thread so far are convincing me! :biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
You Hip is fab, it's so pretty! Thank you so much for taking the time to take the photos! That is probably all I would carry in it myself, phone, LV 6 key holder, a 3/4 size Prada wallet and sunnies in soft case. Your zippy coin purse is stunning, by the way. I think the replies on this thread so far are convincing me! :biggrin::biggrin:

You're welcome! Just glad I could help :smile:

I once heard that there is a "test" you should try with all handbags to see if you really love them or not: you ask yourself "would I replace this bag if it got broken/stolen/lost?", if yes then it's a keeper. And yes, I would definitely replace my Balenciaga Hip! :smile:

I once heard that there is a "test" you should try with all handbags to see if you really love them or not: you ask yourself "would I replace this bag if it got broken/stolen/lost?", if yes then it's a keeper. And yes, I would definitely replace my Balenciaga Hip! :smile:
THANKS for posting that question dear Kmora!! It's a really REALLY good one which I will start asking myself! :flowers:

That's a great tip! I sure will be adopting this for my bag collection! Thanks again

Hi! I'm like you - debating whether to get the Hip.

I had a mini city but sold it cos I don't like the handles flopping down and getting in contact with my hips. Was hoping to replace it with a Hip, since they are pretty much the same in terms of storage space.

Problem is I'm 150cm, about 5 ft - really short and petite.
For the mini city at the shortest setting, 21 inches, it falls just below my hip - a very comfortable setting.
I think the strap drop at the shortest setting might still be too long for me :sad:

Can anyone with the Hip confirm the strap drop for me? Is it 22 inches at the shortest?

Anyone can do a mod shot for me? I would like to gauge the length before I proceed. There's a pretty ME Hip I'm eyeing on :P

Hi! I'm like you - debating whether to get the Hip.

I had a mini city but sold it cos I don't like the handles flopping down and getting in contact with my hips. Was hoping to replace it with a Hip, since they are pretty much the same in terms of storage space.

Problem is I'm 150cm, about 5 ft - really short and petite.
For the mini city at the shortest setting, 21 inches, it falls just below my hip - a very comfortable setting.
I think the strap drop at the shortest setting might still be too long for me :sad:

Can anyone with the Hip confirm the strap drop for me? Is it 22 inches at the shortest?

Anyone can do a mod shot for me? I would like to gauge the length before I proceed. There's a pretty ME Hip I'm eyeing on :P

So after much deliberation, I finally have a black metallic edge hip on its way to me now. I will take some mod shots once I have received it. I'm also a shortie (158CM), so hoping the strap will be a good length. However, I am open to getting more holes punched if need be. Can't wait!