Balenciaga Croc City ~ yay or nay?

insatiable

Jan 29, 2007
Hi everyone, what do you ladies think of a Balenciga black city in real croc leather? Do you think I'm better off with a bag from Hermes or perhaps a city in lambskin leather is good enough? The croc city is a splurge, in the range of $20k, which is enough to get a birkin/kelly or even a croc lindy. Will the croc city have the wow factor or should I settle for a lambskin city?

I like Hermes for its quality but thinks its ubitquitous (in my country) and the brand makes it too eye catching. I'm looking at an elegantly sumptuous everyday bag. I've always taken a second look at Balenciaga city in exotic leathers when I sighted ostrich city. I've never sighted a croc city so I believe city in croc leather is extremely rare.

Thanks for your inputs in advance! :smile:

Last edited:
I saw a croc city in my local store for display, it was so gorgeous ❤️, as was the price tag, but it wasn't for sale.

I love the city design but my personal opinion is that the city design in regular leather is already very eye catching, so I'm not sure if one in croc will be less so... Not very sure if it will be an easy everyday bag too because with all the studs, piecing detail and whipped stitch handles, it really have a lot of things going on.

I think it's a weird concept, forcing an inherently edgy and mostly casual bag into extreme luxury. For $2k or even less you can achieve the true Bal moto experience.

Nay for me too. Croc leather doesn't look right in moto style. Python on the other hand looks better.

Plus, $20K is too much for Bal. I'd rather go for Birkin or Kelly.

Elociv, jellyv, Catash: Thanks for your helpful comments. Here are pictures of the bag, except mine will be in gold hardware. I think it will be foolishness to pay $20k for croc city when the lambskin city is already perfect. Thanks for the enlightenment. :smile:

I agree with all of the above. $20k is excessive for a bal and The city is amazing and perfect because of the casual slouch it has become known for. In stiffer leathers (even some calf leathers) the look of the bag changes completely, to be more suitcase-like. Hermes bags are already more structured and look more at home in exotics.

I love it, sooooo beautiful though Hermes is great I feel like this is more unique and way more cool IMO I'd be way more impressed with a croc city than I would be a birkin. Also when it really comes down to it Birkins and Kelly's aren't all that hard to find, I see people with them all the time these days, back in California and here in NYC.

Elociv, jellyv, Catash: Thanks for your helpful comments. Here are pictures of the bag, except mine will be in gold hardware. I think it will be foolishness to pay $20k for croc city when the lambskin city is already perfect. Thanks for the enlightenment. :smile:

Nice but I'd pass. Better get Hermes for this amount of money

It nice, but I rather spend money on the Hamilton metal egde City. :P

If using other excotic, I think any snake skin, lizard, and Stingray are the best option for Bal look. :graucho:

Looks too stiff in Moto city style. Wondering about the top part where it usually slouches and whether it'll damage the stiff croc leather over time. Too expensive to take the risk. Go with lamb skin IMO

I love it, sooooo beautiful though Hermes is great I feel like this is more unique and way more cool IMO I'd be way more impressed with a croc city than I would be a birkin. Also when it really comes down to it Birkins and Kelly's aren't all that hard to find, I see people with them all the time these days, back in California and here in NYC.

+1! totally agree!! I thought I was the only 'Yay' to this beautiful piece!! I would be super impressed with a croc city than with a bikin. Like jp23 said that birkins and kelleys arent hard to find...

+1! totally agree!! I thought I was the only 'Yay' to this beautiful piece!! I would be super impressed with a croc city than with a bikin. Like jp23 said that birkins and kelleys arent hard to find...

Nope, another YES here. I also live in NYC so seeing a Birkin/Kelly is quite common- even exotic B/K, esp croc, is not exactly a rarity... whereas an exotic Bal is extremely rare, even in these parts!

This is something I would *totally* get if I could afford croc- black City is so versatile and such a classic but at the same time it is very common. It being made of croc gives it the extra special kick! So much more special IMO. YMMV of course :smile:

But then again, I am not a huge Hermes fan, so I don't have the mentality of "if I'm going to pay so much for a bag, I'd rather get H" :P

I think this looks luxurious/elegant as well as edgy and to me that makes it really cool! However, I'm not fancy enough for a Bal croc city or a Hermes bag so I pick the regular leather Bal :P. That's just me though. If the Bal croc fits into your wardrobe and lifestyle, I think it's uber cool, sexy, edgy, sophisticated and I like it better than Hermes!

Last edited:
Honestly, i think the Balenciaga City in real crocodile skin looks absolutely gorgeous. I have seen celebrities like Miranda Kerr and Janet Jackson wear croc skin Balenciaga Part Time bags and i think it looks absolutely amazing. So luxurious. If you love it and have the funds for it, i say buy it.

The only thing that would stop me from buying a croc skin Balenciaga City bag is the fact that it is so expensive. I would definitely prefer a Hermes Birkin or Kelly for that price.

I also love the smooshy, slouchy Lambskin and Chevre goat skin on Balenciaga motorcycle bags, so i would stick with the classic leather models on the Balenciaga City bags. :smile: