Balenciaga City - would you buy the "old" model now?

I have been looking into getting one of these for everyday, as well. I think they're going to super come back into style soon, but I look at it as a timeless bag. It's just super nice quality and I love all of the fun colors.

Reactions: debsmith
For me, dated means it was very trendy for a while but for some reason they don't make it anymore, so stylists would not really use it and when you walk around with it unstyled, people can tell that you bought it when it was trendy and think you haven't updated your wardrobe.

I do wonder why Balenciaga stopped making the original design. Was it because people stopped wanting to wear it and sales went down, they think updating it will boost their sales, or simply due to NG left and the new creative director wanted to change it up?

I still love the original look but when I carry the city or velo style in giant hardware, I do feel like the bag feels a bit dated (I am not styling these days) but if you don't care then who cares! For me, the RH looks less dated because they're less noticeable, and the lesser known models like the courier can't look dated if it was never fully plastered on everywhere.

But this is just my opinion and I know many wouldn't agree with me. I love the original bal bag look, that's for sure!

For me, dated means it was very trendy for a while but for some reason they don't make it anymore, so stylists would not really use it and when you walk around with it unstyled, people can tell that you bought it when it was trendy and think you haven't updated your wardrobe.

I do wonder why Balenciaga stopped making the original design. Was it because people stopped wanting to wear it and sales went down, they think updating it will boost their sales, or simply due to NG left and the new creative director wanted to change it up?

I still love the original look but when I carry the city or velo style in giant hardware, I do feel like the bag feels a bit dated (I am not styling these days) but if you don't care then who cares! For me, the RH looks less dated because they're less noticeable, and the lesser known models like the courier can't look dated if it was never fully plastered on everywhere.

But this is just my opinion and I know many wouldn't agree with me. I love the original bal bag look, that's for sure!
I guess it may partly depend on what people you spend your time around. If you're in the fashion industry or your friends and acquaintances are very fashion forward, then maybe you care a lot about being on trend. Not really an issue for me.

While I really liked the old City style I love the new and a bit more structured versions as well. I am noticing that the newest City bags in the larger sizes look less structured and more like the previous version. The mini is still very structured and a bag I plan to purchase very soon.

Reactions: Maria333
Call the Balenciaga outlets in California or in New York....They have the City bags available now and they ship!
WHAT?!?! .. seriously??? .. oh crap, that is a super DANGEROUS thing for me since I will be moving not far from the Balenciaga outlet near Palm Springs/Palm Desert! This should be interesting, and I will .. OF COURSE .. report anything interesting that I see!