Balenciaga City - would you buy the "old" model now?

Maria333

Dec 14, 2016
Hi everyone,
I've never had a city bag before and I've recently started looking for light colored bag. I found a small City "old/ original" model in grayish white on sale for $1600 (new), attaching pics. I think I like this bag more than the new neo city. However since I've never owned city, I'm not sure what's the sentiment out there, does it look dated? Is everyone already tired of it?
I think I like it, but I'd rather not keep a bag that's gonna look completely outdated in 2+ years.
Please let me know how do you feel about wearing the old City for years to come :smile:

Thanks!!

IMG-4332082fb07144bec3969f0a94d9f405-V.jpg

I don’t know about the original City being dated or not but personally I prefer the silhouette of the ‘original’ to the current Neo and hourglass shapes (I mean no offense to those who love the Neo and hourglass bags:flowers:)

I guess it’s just a matter of personal preference of bag shapes in my case.
(I still have my City metallic edge and I will likely keep it until I die or it is worn to shreds lol)

As someone one told me, ‘wear it with ease and carry it as you please!’

Whatever you choose to do, you are ultimately the one carrying the bag as long as you are comfortable with your choice :smile:

You should wear what makes your heart sing. But be sure to authenticate and shop around as preloved (and even dead stock new old stock) prices can vary significantly. If I saw a deadstock balenciaga calf hair camo pattern, I would jump on it as I missed it the first time around.

Last edited:
I think anyone invested in the history of Balenciaga (or people who are looking for something with a long history) will find this to be a timeless classic. To people who follow trends it will probably be considered out of style. I'm not knocking either of those. I fall firmly into one of those categories and it doesn't matter which one. It's just a matter a personal style. So the answer to the OP's question, it really only depends on what you prefer and what your style is. Are you a traditionalist with a classic sense of style? Or are you fashion forward, changing and evolving every few years?

If the bag represents your personal style you won't look dated, you'll be able to wear it for a long time. I think it's a good idea to buy the old city model in brand new condition, so at least you have many years of use from it. Some of the preloved bags do look old and tired but the models Bal released like the croc embossed you're holding and the metallic edge models did freshen the bag style. I love the old style much more than than the new neo, too. :smile: