Balenciaga Basics - Please Explain

Caraway

Mar 26, 2008
I was asking about wallet colors, and trying to dig around in the reference threads - but I realized that my problem is much more basic. I am missing the fundamentals!

Could someone(s) talk me through Balenciaga? I have read and read, but I think I am just confusing myself!

How many different bag styles are there? What are the classics?
Does "motorcycle bag" refer to a specific bag? Or the hardware style currently on a couple different styles of bags?
Do new bags come out yearly? Seasonally?
When is the season(s)? If the color thread says pre-season what does that mean exactly?
Do they produce the same colors every year - but the actual shades vary? Or are there a few colors chosen each year?
What acronyms do I need to know?
Is there a way to see styles and colors in a representative sample? ie. One of each style one of each color? Looking at all blue bags or all green bags is making me a bit batty!

Please mentor me!!! :love::love::love:

Caraway, all your answers can be found in the reference library.

Please visit the reference library (colors by season, colors, style reference). The reference library is extremely organized.

As for acronyms, if you just do a search for "acronyms," you'll find the right thread.

Hi Caraway!

Welcome :flowers:

I think this thread may inspire me to do a Balenciaga 101 Thread :yes:

In the meantime, here are some pointers as answers:

Q: How many different bag styles are there? What are the classics?
A: http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga-style-reference/

Q: Does "motorcycle bag" refer to a specific bag?
A: The Moto or Motorcycle style refers to a specific line of Balenciaga's with the rivetted hardware; the hardware used to be flat, then went to raised pewter, then raised brass, then raised brass and Giant hardware in Silver, Gold, and Gunmetal for an LE bag, now they will come in body-colors as an option.
http://forum.purseblog.com/balencia...-prices-for-all-balenciaga-styles-144151.html

Q: Do new bags come out yearly? Seasonally?
A: Balenciaga, like other fashion houses, releases their new lines in Fall/Winter (F/W) and Spring/Summer (S/S). Both releases have "pre-release" colors and "main collection" colors. Pre-release colors come before the main collection.

Q: Do they produce the same colors every year - but the actual shades vary?
A: Again, like other fashion houses, Balenciaga offers their bags in whatever colors they believe are popular. However, what colors/styles each retail locations orders varies from buyer to buyer.
http://forum.purseblog.com/balencia...ciaga-color-information-by-season-144822.html

Q: What acronyms do I need to know?
BBag = Balenciaga Bag
GHW = Giant Hardware
SGH = Silver Giant Hardware
GGH = Gold Giant Hardware
http://forum.purseblog.com/balencia...bbreviations-186785.html?highlight=dictionary

Q: Is there a way to see styles and colors in a representative sample?

A: Use the Search feature, ie "cornflower city" or "grenat first"

For different bag styles, go to http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga-style-reference/

What a "classic" is, is really up to you. Some say it's the Flat Brass Firsts. Some say the '05 Black City. It depends on an individual's preferences. The City style is, however, one of the most popular styles.

Bags come out seasonally: S/S and F/W.

They do not produce the same colors every year. Sometimes, there are similar ones (ex: Marigold v. Jaune, Rouge Vif v. Tomato, etc). For colors, see: http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga-colors-by-season/ and http://forum.purseblog.com/balenciaga-color-reference/
(also more pictures may be found in the clubhouse)

How many different bag styles are there? What are the classics?

1. first
2. city
3. Work
4. Weekender
5. Brief
6. Espacada
7. RTT
8. Day

Discontinued styles however can be found on ebay and other consignments stores are:

1. Mini twiggy and first
2. Purse
3. Shopping

Accessories:

1. coin purse
2. money wallet/ long money wallet
3. shoulder or makeup

Does "motorcycle bag" refer to a specific bag? Or the hardware style currently on a couple different styles of bags?

No, it's a specific style. Balenciaga makes a wide range of bags however the motorcycle style with the tassels are the most popular!

Do new bags come out yearly? Seasonally?

New colors and sometimes styles come out seasonally. Spring/Summer and Winter/fall colors!

When is the season(s)? If the color thread says pre-season what does that mean exactly?

Pre-season would mean before the particular season in which that specific color was supposed to come out..sometimes colors come out as limited editions or whatever before summer/spring or winter/fall season.

Do they produce the same colors every year - but the actual shades vary? Or are there a few colors chosen each year?

The only colors that are reproduced every year are white and black. However yes variations of colors come out.

What acronyms do I need to know?

SGH= Silver Giant Hardware
GGH= Gold Giant Hardware
PT= Part-time

Is there a way to see styles and colors in a representative sample? ie. One of each style one of each color? Looking at all blue bags or all green bags is making me a bit batty!

Just go through the reference section and go through the different styles..you'll see a wide range of colors in one particular style...like if your interested in first purchasing a city ( which is the medium size ) you could look in the city thread and look at the colors that you might like!

goodluck and i hope this has helped!

Caraway, all your answers can be found in the reference library.

Please visit the reference library (colors by season, colors, style reference). The reference library is extremely organized.

As for acronyms, if you just do a search for "acronyms," you'll find the right thread.

Okay, I will go look again. I am only seeing threads with lots of examples of one thing. I am looking for more of a general cross reference. I can see how the reference threads would be VERY helpful to someone who knew the basics. :shame: Off to try searching again.

Okay, I will go look again. I am only seeing threads with lots of examples of one thing. I am looking for more of a general cross reference. I can see how the reference threads would be VERY helpful to someone who knew the basics.

When I first browsed the Balenciaga forum, it was like people were posting in a whole other language. I had no idea what was going on, what people were talking about. (I wasn't even really into purses... :P) I spent some time poking around the Ref Library and found it really helpful. I'm just highly recommending the Ref Library because it's really organized and after looking at the style and color threads, I was able to figure out which kind of Bbag I liked. Maybe it's just me but I loved going through all the picture threads -- it really helped me picture what the bags were like (since I couldn't see them in person yet). There are so many awesome pictures of bags in this forum, you can probably find every Moto bag in every style/color ever made! Good luck!

Wanna help?? :graucho:

I was thinking of getting a list of all the styles with pics and noting which are current and EOL'd.

Sure!! I can definitely help with collecting pictures. I'm always surfing the clubhouse/ref library picture threads anyway... just can't get enough of looking at Bbags. If I can't have 'em all, pictures will do. :P