Bal. Experts please help with tassels question

shibumiflowers

really want this
Sep 4, 2009
Chicago area
Hi everyone:

I'm a relatively new collector of Bal. Bags (since Sep 09). I've had bags from 2007, 2008, 2009. All bags were in pretty good condition or new when I got them. Recently, I sold a bag that I purchased myself from Barneys in 09. I took the pictures when I listed the bag (very recently) and since taking pictures and listing the bag, I haven't brought it out or used it. When it was sold, a few days since listing it, I examined the bag before sending it out (this Saturday). The buyer just told me that the tassels had split.

My question for the experts or veteran Bal. Bag owners is this: Is it possible that the tassels could have split in between the time I packaged it to when it was received? Could it have split in transit from the humidity? the heat? I'm just perplexed that this could happen in two days. Although I didn't take any pictures specifically of the tassels only, the fourth and fifth picture on page two in this link shows the tassels pretty clearly and they are definitely not split or unglued. Other pictures have the tassels in them also and they don't look split or unglued either.

I don't know what to tell the buyer now.

pics: http://s1018.photobucket.com/albums/af301/shibumiflowers/Balenciaga 2009 raisin city/

Last edited:

aimtree

O.G.
Mar 10, 2008
london uk
Did the buyer say it in a way that they might be fishing for a partial refund?

Did they say how split are they, are they saying completely or slightly?
I can't imagine them splitting completely in transit, but maybe others will chime in with opinions.

HandbagAngel

Authenticator
O.G.
Apr 18, 2006
I had a similar experience, and I just ordered extra tassels from Bal and sent them directly to the buyer.

imonpurseblog

Sep 28, 2007
Tassels are relatively cheap so I wouldn't offer a big refund if that's the question. Maybe $20 at the most since that would pay for a new set plus shipping/tax. It's not a huge deal IMO.

shibumiflowers

really want this
Sep 4, 2009
Chicago area
Thanks all for your replies. I don't know what the deal is. I'm not an abuser of bags. I also don't use the same bag day after day, I rotate between a few so my bags aren't as used. I've had this bag since 9/09 and rotate it often between other b.bags and LVs. I generally keep really good care of my bags. Sometime in 2/2010, I took pictures and listed the bag. On 2/23/10, I took some more pictures in natural sunlight (those first 20 in the pictures link). I could swear there are no unglued or split tassels when I reviewed the pictures over and over again just now.

This evening, I got the e-mail about unglued tassels and I got really upset. I both buy and sell so I can certainly appreciate the annoyance of not getting what you think you bought. But as a conscientious seller, I don't want to be irresponsible - I wonder if they could really split in transit. I imagine humidity? heat? x-ray machines? It's probably nothing but I'm practically tearing my hair out. I asked buyer is she wanted to return the bag. I would just take it back. I have no idea that tassels would split this early into a bag's life I imagine that it would be like years and years of use or something.

Ugh. If it is just a matter of $20 for extra tassels, I guess refunding $20 is fair for all? Or should I just take it back?

HandbagAngel

Authenticator
O.G.
Apr 18, 2006
This problem is really minor and should not deserve a return. You could offer the buyer with new set of tassels (purchase them from Bal) or issue a partial refund of $20. If you order them from Bal, Bal would ship it out within a day, the buyer will receive it withou 2 - 3 days.

At this point, I wouldn't question if this could happen. The most important thing is to make your buyer happy.

shibumiflowers

really want this
Sep 4, 2009
Chicago area
^^
thank you, Angel, for your advice. I e-mailed buyer and offered her a refund of $20 but if she's really unhappy, I can take it back minus the shipping (I shipped free).

By the way, we can't say enough that we all really appreciate the work you do over in the authenticate this thread. I use more than my share over there. :smile:

HandbagAngel

Authenticator
O.G.
Apr 18, 2006
Oh.... thank you so much for your comment. :shame: It really is my pleasure.

Hopefully your buyer will take the $20 refund and keep the bag. Last time I ordered the tassels from Bal, and I received them in the next day. Each set (2 tassels) was $11, if I remember correctly. Bal ship them via USPS Priority, and $11 was shipping included.

pbdb

O.G.
Jul 9, 2009
Hong Kong
I had the same problem. Very careful with my bags, don't even use them that much and keep them in their dustbags and suddenly, I wanted to use one particular bag and the tassels were split. I knew they were in perfect condition when I received them early december 2009 from Italy in brand new and perfect condition and when I used them for the 2nd time like a month ago. Now, they're split and since I live in HKG where its really humid one day and cold the next (at this time), then that maybe explains it. I don't know where in HKG I can buy replacement tassels though so maybe just show it to a cobbler and let him fix it?

SkyBlueDay

Happy as Larry
May 10, 2009
By the Ocean
^^^ Good idea, redskater: that's exactly what I did when a pre-loved bag came to me with split tassels: I just used the special UHU leather glue-stick and they have stayed absolutely soft, have not discoloured, and are probably stronger now than when they were new (it's been a year since I last glued them together).

Conni618

Authenticator
O.G.
Mar 27, 2007
I think your buyer is unhappy because she realizes she will have trouble replacing those tassels.

I agree with HandbagAngel's first suggestion. As the original buyer of the bag, it will be a lot easier for you to purchase the replacement tassels and send them to her.

I imagine it is irritating to have sent perfect tassels, and then be surprised like this. However, I also agree with HandbagAngel, that this is so easily fixed, that it's just not worth fussing over.

elle B

O.G.
Sep 20, 2006
I agree with HandbagAngel and Conni618 that the tassels are not worth fussing over.

I think you are doing a great thing by offering to buy a new set!

I just bought a Jaune Day on ebay two weeks ago and the bag came with the tassels completely shredded. Worse than any bag I have ever had in all my years of owning bals. At first, I was really pretty peeved that poor state of the tassels was not mentioned in the listing at all, and I considered complaining to the seller about it, but after a few days I calmed down about it. I figured the $20 price of the tassels was just not worth the fuss either. The fact that you are owing up to the issue is what is important and should be enough for the buyer (hopefully)! Good luck!

verty

sharkwater.com
Feb 28, 2007
the islands
The tassels don't look split in your photos.

Strange that a buyer would lie about it though ??? But it is weird since they appear fine and I can't fathom that they would somehow split during transit.

Nonetheless - probably not worth the headache. Agree w/everyone about offering a replacement or $20 refund.