Bags You Thought Would Be Classics?

plumjum12

Mar 28, 2015
Discussions whether certain bags will stand the test of time always interest me, but no one can for sure tell whether they're right until years down the line.

What bags did you think would be definite classics, but in reality (and sadly) weren't up to the job?

I would be really interested in everyone's thoughts and apologies if this has already been discussed, I couldn't find a thread by searching the topic!

Reactions: Shelby33
The obvious ones:

Hermes Birkin & Kelly
Louis Vuitton Noe Bucket
Celine Phantom & Luggage
Balenciaga Motorcycle

In recent years, brands like Loewe and Chloe have produced bags that have potential to be classics, but Chloe bags seem to be more of a hype in the street scene.

I am a fan of the Loewe Puzzle and the new Hammock, but I think time will tell to see if they can be endearing classics.

Even classics have their 'not so fashionable' moments.

I never think about whether it will be a classic per sae, I try to work out if I'll still like it in years to come, even in the face of deep unfashionability and ridicule :P .

It can work the other way too, so guys don't be too quick to sell any bag you think is past its 'sell by date'. I never thought I would be excited to carry my Gucci Valentine's Leather Heart Boston again, granted the shape is a classic but I could never see me carry it as a trophy again. My new GG-plus quirky loafers go perfectly go well and suddenly it all points to trash-glam revival

Def the YSL Muse. It was a nice shape and very popular and I lusted after that bag like crazy. Thankfully I never bought one.

I think that depends on the color/size. My true red oversize Muse is still going strong! Love pulling it out and wear it every once in a while ;). Well, at the price I got the bag for, I'm not worried if it does get outdated at some point, lol

Discussions whether certain bags will stand the test of time always interest me, but no one can for sure tell whether they're right until years down the line.

What bags did you think would be definite classics, but in reality (and sadly) weren't up to the job?

I would be really interested in everyone's thoughts and apologies if this has already been discussed, I couldn't find a thread by searching the topic!

just my personal opinion, some bags that were discontinued had the potential to be classics but as they were no longer available, they just felt outdated.

The obvious ones:

Hermes Birkin & Kelly
Louis Vuitton Noe Bucket
Celine Phantom & Luggage
Balenciaga Motorcycle

In recent years, brands like Loewe and Chloe have produced bags that have potential to be classics, but Chloe bags seem to be more of a hype in the street scene.

I am a fan of the Loewe Puzzle and the new Hammock, but I think time will tell to see if they can be endearing classics.
Agreed!

Even classics have their 'not so fashionable' moments.

I never think about whether it will be a classic per sae, I try to work out if I'll still like it in years to come, even in the face of deep unfashionability and ridicule :P .

It can work the other way too, so guys don't be too quick to sell any bag you think is past its 'sell by date'. I never thought I would be excited to carry my Gucci Valentine's Leather Heart Boston again, granted the shape is a classic but I could never see me carry it as a trophy again. My new GG-plus quirky loafers go perfectly go well and suddenly it all points to trash-glam revival

My thoughts as well. Fashion always circles, I wouldn't be suprised seeing discontinued bags loved and remade again.

just my personal opinion, some bags that were discontinued had the potential to be classics but as they were no longer available, they just felt outdated.

I know what you mean but usually companies won't stop selling something that continues to be a) a good seller b) highly regarded