bags that DON'T work for you

jayohwhy

O.G.
Jul 31, 2009
What bags have you tried and learned don't work for you? (Doesn't mean that they aren't pretty and that they don't work for other people.)

me:

1. le pliage- hard for me to zip and unzip. found out I like more structure than it offers. I think about rebuying it once a year because of the pretty pretty colors.

2. bal city- the things I like to carry don't match the shape of the bag. the shoulder strap was pointless on me and the bag looked like a hot dog on me.

3. any woc, wristlet or phone wallet- I like to carry lots of things. I will never be one of those cool just cards and a lip balm and keys girls

No specific bag, but anything large. At 5'1 they just dwarf me and they become garbage collectors - I can never seem to find what I am looking for.

Also, I really love a removable cross body strap and while I will carry something without it, I definitely prefer that there is one

Last edited:
Reactions: SiouxZan
Bags that don't have any zippered compartment in them. It drives me crazy! I'm a big bag girl, and I think that open compartments are nice for functionality, but there has to be a zip. That said, I cannot do small bags. I own a bunch of them, but I just don't find myself reaching for them unless it's just a quick trip out of the house.

Reactions: SiouxZan
Tricky clasps. If I can't open or have to fumble with a clasp in the store, I'm not getting it.

Hobos. I feel like my stuff is in a trash bag.

No shoulder strap. I have 2 kids and like to shop. I need to be hands free. Nothing worse than looking through racks of clothes with your handbag in the way.

Mini bags. Most are just a glorified coin purses.

Black bags. For me to purchase a black handbag, the details have to be really eye catching.

Totes. I don't find totes to be pretty. All I see is function. I want both.

--A Gucci Jackie hobo I bought on sale specifically for travel. It looked like it would be hardy, but it ended up staining permanently from the slightest drop of water. My bad for not understanding the delicate nature of the leather.

--Givenchy medium Antigona. I'm petite, and it is large and bulbous. It was a total pain on public transportation. I was always hitting people with it.

--A YSL Muse Two. What a pain to get into and out of!

--Any number of bags with obvious logos. They may work practically, but they just don't work in my professional environment, and I've come to realize they really aren't my style. I want the design of the bag to be it's focus, not it's name.

--Celine Trio. I love Celine, but the trio falls flat for me. Not enough style or function. A lot of one can outweigh the other, but the trio doesn't really have either.

Tricky clasps. If I can't open or have to fumble with a clasp in the store, I'm not getting it.

No shoulder strap.

Mini bags. Most are just a glorified coin purses.

Totes. I don't find totes to be pretty. All I see is function. I want both.

Lenarmc - you read my mind with several of your comments!!!! I especially hate totes. Blech! I don't ever think they are flattering or attractive. Just boringly functional. They are the mini van of handbags. 😵 And while I don't completely agree on hobos being like trash bags your comment cracked me up!!! I've been there with my stuff going in the endless black hole of unstructured bags....Lol!!!

Which is why my first "don't work for me" option is:

• Unstructured bags / bags that lose their shape - if it's going to look like an amoeba, I'm not spending 5 cents on it.

• Bags that are extreme in size - I hate big bags. I don't carry a lot of "stuff" so my few items rattle around in big bags. But, micro / mini bags are worse. I need to carry basics like a wallet, keys and sunglasses. Why carry a handbag if I also have to keep things on my head, in my husband's pockets or in my car??

• Cloth / suede bags - I need to be able to easily clean my bags. I don't want to see or harbor yuck on my bags from moving through life.

• Snake / Python - I have three of these I both love and despise. They look great but maintenance is crazy!

• Clutches - Never owned one, never ever will. I don't see how anyone functions with a bag that has to be hand carried. This would drive me over the edge!

• Trendy, obvious "it" bags - I like being on trend but if everyone is carrying it and in 5-10 years we'll all know when it was "the thing", I don't want it.

• Signature monogrammed bags - just yuck

- Mini bags that only allow you to store your iPhone: too small to be practical!

- Louis Vuitton Petite Malle: its high price does not justify the size and material (mainly canvas)

- Givenchy Antigona: the handles are always in the way when zipping/unzipping

- Celine Phantom/Luggage: too heavy for me

- Valentino rockstud: too trendy, not timeless

- Alexander McQueen Heroine: the flap just doesn't work

- Mansur Gavriel Bucket: really light but the resin-coated interior just makes the bag feels 'plastic'

On a side note, I find the Le Pliage really useful for traveling, I can fold it easily and use it to store my last minute shopping!

My Balenciaga Giant City bag is too heavy and a pain to open and wear. I was so obsessed with it before I got it too [emoji30].

I also don't buy really trendy bags now (case in point: Fendi B bag). You end up selling them after a couple of years.

White bags. Dirt magnets.

Snakeskin bags. I was also obsessed with exotics for a while and while I still have the ones I bought, they were expensive and hard to wear. My Bottega Veneta one costs a fortune and I rarely wear it. Too delicate and it's a hand carry bag only.

Fabric bags, like my LV one. Again, dirt magnet. I also rarely wear my Chanel tweed M/L flap because it's delicate.

Styles of bags I do not like:
- bucket bags - bags with wide base
- open top bags - even those with snap buttons or ties
- hobos

Features of bags I do no like:
- heavy hardware, or excessive hardware
- shoulder straps attached at odd places on body of bag
- flimsy/thin shoulder straps compared to the size of bag
- fur, ostrich, snake, shark, elephant, or any strange exotic leather. Croc is fine. :biggrin:
- excessive monograms - had them when I was young and trying to impress others, now I just let my accomplishments speak for itself.

"It" bags. Unless it's a style that I like and have a use for, I don't consider them.

Last edited:
The 3.1 Phillip Lim Pashli... It just didn't work for me. The mini was the nicest looking but couldn't fit my stuff in it comfortably and the medium was odd looking. I had a few of both the mini and medium and got rid of them all.

Reactions: pianolize