Bags that aren't sold at the end of the day?

missnicoleeee

Oct 14, 2011
Ive always been curious about this. And google wasn't much help sadly. But Does anybody know what happens to the bags that haven't been bought at the end of the day? Do they go back in their dustbags at night then come back out in the morning before opening?

And also if they're never bought at all? I read somewhere(but dont remember where) that Chanel Burns the bags that aren't bought in order to prevent counterfeiters from reproducing. Is that true? Do other brands do this as well?

missnicoleeee, you'll have to be a bit more specific about your first question - are you talking about a particular store? I don't know of any place that stores bags in their duster at night and gets them out again in the morning - ?

If they are never bought at all ... they get put on sale until they are bought. I don't know about Chanel, though. And you do know that places like TJ Maxx and Marshall's buys other stores' unsold or overstock bags, right? So they do go someplace ... but again, I don't know about Chanel.

I highly doubt they all go into their dustbags... WHAT A JOB! But I do believe they put a lot of effort into keeping the store dust-free... also they dont sell the bags on display.

You would be surprised to see how many older stock bags Chanel boutiques have in their closets. I have found bags 4+ years old before at the boutiques in NYC. There used to be a Chanel outlet in NY State, but that closed. I went there many times and rarely did they have many bags. Usually 9-12 at max. Once I found a classic flap w/ new chain at the outlet but that was my only good find there.

I have never been to a shop where they don't sell the bags on display :shrugs: Some brands have one off pieces for display only but they usually go to archive. If someone is a regular customer or they have plenty of the models in stock they might be lucky to get one from the back but usaully people buy the one they have OKed and that is usaully that is the one on display.

I have never known SAs have time to put every bag away everyday and put them out in the morning, they would never be open for business.

Generally bags go full retail in store > discount sale in store/on line or outlet (some bags may be made for outlets) > discounted further at outlets Or sold to third party independent outlet stores or online. Many bags DON'T go on sale at all and just stay in store until sold.

LV is the only bag manurfacture that I know that destroys its own merch but that is only for imperfect examples, LV bags are simply available in store until they are sold or transferred to another store.

Thank you, papertiger, for your informative and thorough post. This makes much more sense now. :heart:

I have never been to a shop where they don't sell the bags on display :shrugs: Some brands have one off pieces for display only but they usually go to archive. If someone is a regular customer or they have plenty of the models in stock they might be lucky to get one from the back but usaully people buy the one they have OKed and that is usaully that is the one on display.

I have never known SAs have time to put every bag away everyday and put them out in the morning, they would never be open for business.

Generally bags go full retail in store > discount sale in store/on line or outlet (some bags may be made for outlets) > discounted further at outlets Or sold to third party independent outlet stores or online. Many bags DON'T go on sale at all and just stay in store until sold.

LV is the only bag manurfacture that I know that destroys its own merch but that is only for imperfect examples, LV bags are simply available in store until they are sold or transferred to another store.

Ive always been curious about this. And google wasn't much help sadly. But Does anybody know what happens to the bags that haven't been bought at the end of the day? Do they go back in their dustbags at night then come back out in the morning before opening?

And also if they're never bought at all? I read somewhere(but dont remember where) that Chanel Burns the bags that aren't bought in order to prevent counterfeiters from reproducing. Is that true? Do other brands do this as well?

Gosh, considering the overall global demand for luxury products, there will always be someone, somewhere, waiting and willing to nab a designer bag.

Think about it. I bought a YSL bag because it was super cheap at Saks. Now, it was a bag I'd seen but never really thought of. I nabbed it nonetheless. Imagine the millions of ladies that will see a bag that they never truly considered but love the price or the designer etc. Somebody will buy these bags. Even the most hideous looking ones. If not here in the US, then somewhere else.