Bags and rain?

Euromutt86

Aug 30, 2013
What bags do you wear when it's raining?

I just go without and try to stuff things in my pockets, because I'm not ruining my purses!

I went to the mall when it was pouring outside and all of the purses that I recognized or had myself were out with their owners :P and I was having mini heart attacks all over the place and I felt like I wanted to have a loudspeaker telling all of the women that they were crazy. JK. It's torture for me to see LV, Céline, Michael Kors, etc in the rain getting wet. :faint: I know..Weird to worry about others!! HAHAHA!

LV monogram can be worn in the rain and so can some leather bags from other brands.
Yet, it's better to be very careful when you don't know how your bag will react.
When it rains I carry my Longchamp Le Pliage or my Eastpak small travel bag or my Hervé Chapelier nylon bag.

I'm a loyal user of both Stubben saddle soap and Collonil Nano - I have very few bags I have to worry about in the rain. I won't carry my croc print satchel or Spongy Soft Mulberry Tillie, otherwise I don't care much about the weather. Lumi Supermarket bags have a very durable and weather resistant leather, I also like to use my Le Pliages and Mulberry nylon Flight bag. Canvas bags usually get used during the summer when the weather is a bit more predictable.

As far as I am concerned, my bags are meant to be worn (Gucci, BV and YSL) in ALL elements. You would be amazed how well they dry. As long as I know I am not hanging out in the rain it's fine. Personally, I'd rather protect my hair and keep it dry so I don't catch a cold. :smile:

I have an LV and I wear it in the rain all the time. Once, I brought it to a rainy soccer field -- I had on a raincoat and my galoshes but forgot my umbrella so I was dry but my bag was soaked and muddy. Thankfully, it was fine.

LV Empreinte leather is fine in the rain. Card that comes w bag says not to get wet but it is just a disclaimer I'm sure. I've taken bags out in tropical downpours and they wipe off n look brand new again. Vachetta is not good in rain so the Azur line in LV and bags w light vachetta r a no no in rain! I always take a plastic bag inside my special do not get wet bags just in case.

The bags I carry when its raining/snowing are:
Longchamp LePliage shopping bag
Michael Kors: Jet Set logo tote or Leather satchel with gold hardware (I don't remember the name)
Coach: Legacy Duffle in leather
Mz Wallace MetroTote

LV monogram can be worn in the rain and so can some leather bags from other brands.
Yet, it's better to be very careful when you don't know how your bag will react.
When it rains I carry my Longchamp Le Pliage or my Eastpak small travel bag or my Hervé Chapelier nylon bag.

Please explain regarding the LV Mono. I just ordered my wife her first LV Mono (Speedy B 35) and then I stumbled upon this thread and now I am freaking out.:Pullhair:

http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vuitton/speedy-30-b-damier-ebene-mono-please-help-847753.html

She will carry this all the time. We live in Oklahoma so not much rain or snow to be concerned with but the woman is obsessed with cleaning her hands with sanitizer!!! I am wondering if I should call LV and change my order.

Please explain regarding the LV Mono. I just ordered my wife her first LV Mono (Speedy B 35) and then I stumbled upon this thread and now I am freaking out.:Pullhair:

http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vuitton/speedy-30-b-damier-ebene-mono-please-help-847753.html

She will carry this all the time. We live in Oklahoma so not much rain or snow to be concerned with but the woman is obsessed with cleaning her hands with sanitizer!!! I am wondering if I should call LV and change my order.

The Mono has got vachetta handles which, like the rest of the small vachetta parts on the bag, will darken with natural oxydation and get a lovely even patina.
That being said, lots of American ladies on the forum think the handles get a "dirty" look after being hand carried. And some prefer to buy the DE because the handles are dark brown and will not change....
I am from France and the Mono handles are not a problem to us. We love our Monos to live...;) and very few of us would try to clean the handles....
If your wife cleans her hands with sanitizer it might affect the colour of the handles, not the quality of it.....

Untreated leather, fabric, or other material will be altered by elements. Whether that's from our hands (natural oils, lotion, sanitizer), the outdors (sun, rain, humidity), our clothes (color migration), etc.

Some tpfers use a variety of sealants to make such bags "water proof".

On the other hand, some treated leather, fabric, or other materials - while not impervious - are definitely hardier. While it's never advisable to expose leather (for example) to specific elements (sun, water, oils, solvents, etc.) - water often "slides" off treated leather without penetrating the treated surface. As long as these bags are not left in a puddle of water or under torrential downpours for hours at a time, they're usually fine.

Before I wore designer bags, I wore my leather bags in the rain without a problem. As for my designer bags, I've spilled half a bottle of water on a Chanel caviar flap, by accident, and I've worn Hermes epsom in the rain. They were both fine and none the worse for wear.

Nevertheless, when it rains, I often opt for LeSportsac. They're fine when they're wet, and they dry quickly. :smile:

Last edited:

Id def change it to DE (dark brown checkered print) cuz the mono handles of mono will start looking brown n dirty in no time. If she's obsessed w hand cleaning I can almost guarantee that she won't like the light vachetta cuz it will look funky fast and she might think its gross looking.

Untreated leather, fabric, or other material will be altered by elements. Whether that's from our hands (natural oils, lotion, sanitizer), the outdors (sun, rain, humidity), our clothes (color migration), etc.

Some tpfers use a variety of sealants to make such bags "water proof".

On the other hand, some treated leather, fabric, or other materials - while not impervious - are definitely hardier. While it's never advisable to expose leather (for example) to specific elements (sun, water, oils, solvents, etc.) - water often "slides" off treated leather without penetrating the treated surface. As long as these bags are not left in a puddle of water or under torrential downpours for hours at a time, they're usually fine.

Before I wore designer bags, I wore my leather bags in the rain without a problem. As for my designer bags, I've spilled half a bottle of water on a Chanel caviar flap, by accident, and I've worn Hermes epsom in the rain. They were both fine and none the worse for wear.

Nevertheless, when it rains, I often opt for LeSportsac. They're fine when they're wet, and they dry quickly. :smile:

What sealants should I look for? Are they safe for the vachetta? I apologize for all of the “common knowledge” questions but five days ago I had no idea what Vachetta, Patina, Damier, Speedy or a plethora of other things even were. These bags are quite popular so what are people who carry the mono doing?