Bagpunk's Theory On Body And B-bag Shapes

Hmmm, I like this. Its intriguing to see what other people think about styles in relation to their body size/type.

Well, I'm 5'7'', and around 140lbs (it kills me to admit that when I used to be less than 120). I'd say I'm pear-shaped - my top half is a size smaller than my bottom half. I find that the First looks like a pea on a drum on me - it gets totally lost. The city looks good on me, as does the day. The purse, twiggy and part-time look like crap, and all for the same reason - too wide. The bizarre thing is I have no hips, but a wide pelvis (hope that's not TMI), so anything I carry that's wider that it is tall makes it look really obvious. My mother agrees. I've tried the Weekender and it was borderline - I suspect if I lost weight it would be wearing me - and thus I feel the city, day and work are best for me.

I'm five foot 10 but have a tiny body - all leg. The first looks ok on me because of my tiny body but when I carry it in my hand it looks ridiculous cos of my height - shame cos I love it. City is the best size for me i reckon

hehehe love your expressions... :P i think my pear-shape is indeed your version, no hip but wide pelvis. hmmm.... one could write a thesis on this: "the fashion ergonomics of b-bags"...

Hmmm, I like this. Its intriguing to see what other people think about styles in relation to their body size/type.

Well, I'm 5'7'', and around 140lbs (it kills me to admit that when I used to be less than 120). I'd say I'm pear-shaped - my top half is a size smaller than my bottom half. I find that the First looks like a pea on a drum on me - it gets totally lost. The city looks good on me, as does the day. The purse, twiggy and part-time look like crap, and all for the same reason - too wide. The bizarre thing is I have no hips, but a wide pelvis (hope that's not TMI), so anything I carry that's wider that it is tall makes it look really obvious. My mother agrees. I've tried the Weekender and it was borderline - I suspect if I lost weight it would be wearing me - and thus I feel the city, day and work are best for me.

great thread! i am 5' 5" with an athletic build.. and sometimes when i carry a first, i feel that i stole a childs handbag..it looks funny on me. i usually just use my first as a dinner clutch. the flat brass first cause of the longer strap and longer length is as small of a bag as i can go. Most of my cities are super slouchy, its really hard to judge their shape when being carried. i tried on the PT and it was nice, but i just had this feeling that all my stuff would fall to one side or the other and off balance the whole bag..

hehehe love your expressions... :P i think my pear-shape is indeed your version, no hip but wide pelvis. hmmm.... one could write a thesis on this: "the fashion ergonomics of b-bags"...

LOL... too bad my thesis has to be in marketing/HR management otherwise this would be the best research ever!! :graucho:

I am finding it interesting that a number of people, even shorter then me, are saying the first doesn't work for them?? The first actually works pretty well for me so far (having nothing to compare it to!), it pretty much matches my length and compliments the width (Ha! because I am not a skinny minnie or inclined to post my weight until I am back at my dance weight! ;) Which will be happening close to... never?) - possibly I have a short torso or something??

When I wear a first it hangs down almost to my beltline!! Some people were saying it hit them too high... so now I am definately thinking I need to try on a part-time before buying, if possible...

Right where do i start.... Im 5'4" and a uk size 14 which i think is a us 10. I have huge boobs 32G (i think you have the same sizing in the us) and a big big bum...... oh god Im not doing myself any favours. I am a classic hour glass always have been even when I was a us 4 (pre twins!). The first looks like a childs bag on me with my boobs! The only other styles I have tried are the twiggy and city and box. I actually love the twiggy even though it is long! probably because i can hide my boobs behind it! All in all i prefer the twiggy!

I am 5'4.5" and about 110 lbs. Long torso, but shorter legs, small bust, no ass, and a TINY waist. My measurements are 32-24-33.5 Basically i'm a thin hourglass.. I have found that the City, Day, and darker First bags look best. I can NOT wear any of the really big bags, they overpower me like crazy and the longer EW bags don't look great either because of my bigger hips (in proportion at least..)

wow, whatta cool thread everyone :tender:...as for me, i'm 5'2" & 110 pounds & curvy again now that i've put on some more weight (yay!!! :P)...my DH & i both think the firsts & the cities look the best on me, with the work, the box & mini-bowler being close seconds :heart:...i loved my old purse & twiggy, but the styles were too wide for my body...and i loved my day bags too, but those were just too big & long...i've also owned 3 weekenders & sold them all after finally accepting they eat me up!!!...lastly, i love the courier even though it's ginormous on me & my DH thinks i look silly :upsidedown:...i think it will be the perfect travel bag since i can wear it messenger style with that big, comfy strap!!!

This is a great thread! I suppose we'd all kind of thought of Bbag shapes in terms of what our bodies look like, but it's really interesting to read what works for everyone's body type...

I'm 4'11" (:Push:smile: and between 85-90 pounds. I guess these days I'm a bit of an inverted triangle (just a really, really short one). I used to be a ballet dancer and have the requisite small hips and waist, but since I stopped dancing I got boobs, bringing me up to 36-23-33. :hrmm: I have tried the First, which actually looks very nice on me but if it can't carry a book it doesn't fly. If I get very wealthy I'd like one just for evenings though because it's such a nice size and shape on me. The City looks big on me but not overwhelming and I'm very tempted to buy a Day, which is long but not too bad. Overall I'm pretty proportionate for someone so short, so it doesn't hang down to my knees or anything.
The Purse, Twiggy and Part-Time are all WAY too wide on me and anything bigger than a City would just be totally overpowering. Like when you see one of the Olsens carrying a Work and mistake it for a Voyage. :s

hmmm...i'm about 5'5" and abt 130lb?
unlike most women i have an inverted triangle body shape (wide shoulders, narrow hips). i find the city and twiggy sit ok on me. can't sling the city or twiggy messenger style tho cos im not exactly flat enough. would love to be able to sling those tho.
the first looks like a dinky kid's bag, the extra courier overwhelms me cos it's so fat at the bottom. i quite like the besace style and am looking forward to the flat messenger to balance out my top!
don't fancy the new hobo, too round. the day is good cos it hits just at the top of my hips. hmmmmm decisions decisions.

The Purse, Twiggy and Part-Time are all WAY too wide on me and anything bigger than a City would just be totally overpowering. Like when you see one of the Olsens carrying a Work and mistake it for a Voyage. :s

^^ lol, i bet my works look like that on me :P

p.s. but somehow they still "work" on me though :heart:
p.p.s. did i mention how much i love big bags?!?!

I find that the First looks like a pea on a drum on me - it gets totally lost

:roflmfao: :roflmfao: I feel the same way. If the strap was longer it's not bad but with that short shoulder strap, nah. Plus it's too small, can't get all of my stuff in it. If it hits too high, then it makes my rear look too bubbly. If it hits too low it hides my waist which is one of my better features. I never ananlyzed this until this thread was started but after reading all of these posts and trying some of my bags, I get it. That's why the Twiggy looks good on me. It's a little wider, shows my waist but balances out my buns. Where the Box is shorter so it makes my bottom look bigger.

^^ lol, i bet my works look like that on me :P

p.s. but somehow they still "work" on me though :heart:
p.p.s. did i mention how much i love big bags?!?!

Well, that's okay... I'm secretly lusting after a Work to keep my school stuff in. At least you're a smidgen taller than I am! I also kind of :heart: the Courier on smaller women...

Cool thread!
I'm 5'5 with very short legs and a long torso...I'm kind of chesty and have pretty big hips and a small waist, so very hourglassy, I guess.:P I've found that my favorite styles are the twiggy, first, and day. ;) I really don't like the city and bags of similar shapes.:shrugs: