Bag smells of perfume?

Cocolo

~NiceGirl My Butt!~
O.G.
Sep 24, 2010
Hi. Just bought my first pre-loved bag from Bonanza, and the bag is almost perfection. I say almost, because there is pleasant enough scent of perfume throughout the bag, but I wish it had no scent. I got the Jammin Purple Mini Nikki for a song, and the condition is wonderful. Except for the smell. There was no mention of it, and I didn't think to ask. I want to keep the bag, but I don't know what to do about feedback. So if you could give me some advice on what kind of feedback to leave, and any suggestions for airing out the bag would be really appreciated.

First thing I did was wash the dustbag. Next I am treating the bag with rain and stain guard. How should I try to eliminate the perfume scent? TIA.

Yup, agree. You got a great bag in what sounds like super condition. Perfume scent can be removed.

Put an open box of baking soda in the bag and then place it in a sealed plastic bag for several days. Then air out.

Oh, I should have explained, I wasn't going to leave a negative. Just wondered if I should mention it to the seller either privately or in feedback. I'm not asking for anything. As I said, the bag will be perfect when it airs out. I'll try the baking soda. Thank you.

Oh, I see. Well, you could email the seller for suggestions on removing the perfume scent. I wouldn't try to remove it with anything that has a scent itself though as you'd just compound the problem.

Oh, I should have explained, I wasn't going to leave a negative. Just wondered if I should mention it to the seller either privately or in feedback. I'm not asking for anything. As I said, the bag will be perfect when it airs out. I'll try the baking soda. Thank you.

Think that you should very nicely mention to the seller

that the bag has a scent of perfume.. she made not even have

realized it... but would not leave a negative...enjoy the bag...

I received a perfumey bag one time and I did mention it to the seller, who was lovely about it. It turns out it was not perfume but one of the LMB products. I aired it out for a week or so and the smell did disappear eventually.

I have some vintage Coach bags that had smelly insides. I have had good luck with putting baking soda in a coffee filter then inside a nylon knee high and closing it all up tight for a week or so.
Also, once, in desperation, with a bag that smelled of moth balls, I sprayed a used dryer sheet with Febreze and used that.
Good luck. Better perfume than mothballs, anyway.

I wrote her a nice note, telling her I received the bag, thanking her for the bag, telling her it was just what I wanted. "I did notice a perfume like scent from the bag, but no problems. I will just air it out." I wondered if she knew what the scent was from. Then I left very good feedback. This seller was always prompt in answering me before and after the sale, when I asked for more pictures, made an offer, and asked for tracking, but now she hasn't replied. I can't help but think she was very aware of the smell, and perhaps that is why I got such a good price. The bag is sitting in a sealed plastic bag, with an open box of baking soda inside, so we'll see how it goes.

All in all, I am very happy with my first pre-loved bag, but I have learned an important question to ask. Are there any smells in the bag. I knew to ask if there were any flaws, scratches, stains, and ask for more pictures because of what I have learned at tPF, but I just didn't think to ask about the smell. Thank you for all your help.

Don't know if I'm too late? But I wouldn't treat it with anything, until AFTER I'd let it air for several days/weeks (as long as it takes, really).

Otherwise, you might seal the smell in!

Actually, I wouldn't treat it with anything, period. As I tend to think bags that are in good condition are better left well alone, but that's just me! :smile:

I wrote her a nice note, telling her I received the bag, thanking her for the bag, telling her it was just what I wanted. "I did notice a perfume like scent from the bag, but no problems. I will just air it out." I wondered if she knew what the scent was from. Then I left very good feedback. This seller was always prompt in answering me before and after the sale, when I asked for more pictures, made an offer, and asked for tracking, but now she hasn't replied. I can't help but think she was very aware of the smell, and perhaps that is why I got such a good price. The bag is sitting in a sealed plastic bag, with an open box of baking soda inside, so we'll see how it goes.

All in all, I am very happy with my first pre-loved bag, but I have learned an important question to ask. Are there any smells in the bag. I knew to ask if there were any flaws, scratches, stains, and ask for more pictures because of what I have learned at tPF, but I just didn't think to ask about the smell. Thank you for all your help.

Oh yes, you ideally need to say; '...or foreign odours'. :smile:

Of course, they can still lie to you, if they want to, but the fact that they have strengthens your position in a dispute, IMO.

Not that you have to ask anything, if you don't want to - it's the seller's responsibility to disclose everything necessary in the listing.

i received my new coach madison shoulder yesterday and it had perfume smell too. i hanged it outside for like 6 hours. it was windy. now the smell is almost gone. i think 1 more day outside and i will not smell the perfume anymore. give it a try.

I think it's not a big deal. The bag was pre-loved. Somebody did use it and that same person wore perfume too. It would only bother me if the bag smelled bad or if it was damaged. That is something you have to take into consideration when you buy a pre-loved bag. Just enjoy it!