Bag rec'd today with some issues not listed

gina1023

Buried in a bag...
O.G.
Nov 3, 2008
Hi all, I usually hang around the Coach, Tano and BB forums. I've bought a lot of bags off of the bay and have never been in this situation before. Earlier this week, I won a pre-owned Coach Bleecker Large Patchwork Duffel. Great price, seller shipped literally within an hour of me winning/paying. No problems there at all.

The problem: I rec'd it today and upon looking it over in prep for cleaning and Appling, noticed two pen marks on the same side (one at near the top around the zipper and one in the middle). While not long, both about an inch or so, there are also noticeable nicks in the leather on the large hangtag, strap and on several of the leather patches. The nicks on the hangtag almost bring to mind cat or puppy teeth marks. It's not chewed up by any means, its scratched/nicked/gouged.

This up until I opened the box was looking to be an excellent seller. I don't really want to send it back, I'm not averse to a partial refund and I don't want to be ugly or hard to deal with. Please advise. I've also attached the auction link below.

Thanks for your help!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140337134121&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Yes, I would contact the seller and let her know what you discovered after looking

at the bag up close and personal. Let's give her the benefit of the doubt

as perhaps she over looked the pen marks and scratches.

She what she says and perhaps she might be willing to work something out with you

when you suggest that you may want to return it as it is not in the condition described

in her listing.

I wrote her and am waiting to here back. I listed everything I did from the above. I really don't want to send it back b/c I really do love it. The defects aren't major, just wish they'd been listed in the auction. Thanks for the input!

Seller contacted me immediately and offered a partial refund. She was extremely apologetic and said she had no idea she needed to list all defects when selling since she had it listed as pre-owned. She was very nice about it and made it right. I was afraid it would be ugly, but I guess I need to not be so pessimistic all the time!

I totally expect some signs of wear when buying anything pre-owned. I just felt that the degree of wear and the pen marks should have been disclosed. The seller was great about the whole thing and we've solved it to our mutual satisfaction.

glad everything worked out, but it is listed as pre-owned, so i would expect some degree of wear/use. no?

Pen marks and noticeable nicks in the leather are not just normal signs of wear/use - they are damage and as such, should have been disclosed in the description (but weren't).

Glad to hear the seller worked with you, gina! :biggrin:

^ Agreed. As a seller I err on disclosing as much as possible, even if a bag has normal signs of wear I try to disclose what those are (eg, fading, rubbed corners, softening of leather, etc). I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that such disclosures be made, so that you know exactly what you're getting.

OP, I'm glad the seller realized her oversight and worked with you. You did the right thing by bringing it up to her, and the seller did the right thing with a partial refund. Happy ending!

As a seller I err on disclosing as much as possible, even if a bag has normal signs of wear I try to disclose what those are (eg, fading, rubbed corners, softening of leather, etc). I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that such disclosures be made, so that you know exactly what you're getting.

Quite. :yes:

Thank goodness for honest sellers, like you! :biggrin:

Beautiful bag, but is that spot on the right fading in the dark green/turq. section?

No, its not fading, just unfortunate camera flash. After I Appled her up 4 times (it just drank the stuff!), got the pen out with a VERY careful application of Goo Gone and did the whole Apple Garde thing, it looks much better. The Apple actually helped smooth out some of the nicks in the strap area.

I really appreciate all the help y'all have given me, its great! :biggrin: