Bag or watch??

Hannahprudent

Jan 19, 2018
I created an account just to ask this question. This week, I’ve been considering purchasing a new handbag or a watch. I had this idea that I think may be an unpopular one, but I’d like to see what you ladies think. Is wearing a watch, regardless of brand, less prestigious than not wearing one at all because it suggests you work for people you have to be on time for..? Also, would having a large tote be less prestigious than a tiny bag, because a large bag suggests you may be a working mother or too busy to go home to grab snacks or something? This idea gives me a new perspective on the birkin rage. So should I buy a Gucci mini sylvie or a comparable watch?

Watch for me is a necessity, and nice accessory. You only need 1 and if worn daily, will be absolutely worth it to spend a little more. Totes aren't necessarily less prestigious. It's about your needs that the bag should be meeting.

Reactions: Hannahprudent
Is wearing a watch, regardless of brand, less prestigious than not wearing one at all because it suggests you work for people you have to be on time for..?

That’s an interesting take. I’ve always seen a nice watch as a wardrobe staple. Like randr21 said, you only need one— Invest in an expensive one and it’ll last you a lifetime. Lots of wealthy people wear watches, it doesn’t mean they work for somebody. People can check the time on their phones now anyway. I personally think that wearing a nice watch is more prestigious than a nice bag. Buy a watch first then a bag later on.

Reactions: Hannahprudent
Buy a watch. I don’t feel it’s less prestigious at all to wear one. I’ve never thought about someone wearing one because they have to be somewhere on time. I wear a watch and I consider it a piece of my jewelry as opposed to a time piece. Oddly enough I depend on my phone to check the time haha.
As far as the prestige between a tote vs a mini bag - I don’t feel there’s a difference. It’s personal preference.

I personally would buy the watch first and the bag later.

The watch would be my first choice. If you are considering an expensive watch, that is a investment
that you will have a lifetime.
Do some due diligence perhaps on vintage watches as well as watches on the secondary market
You will be surprised at the range that is available & happy hunting

Reactions: miss.winni3
The expensive watches people wear are not for telling time. You have your phone can do that and as well as many places you go to on a daily basis will have a clock. They are for decorative purposes, just like a piece of jewellery. Many watches you can't even easily tell time anyway as the faces are covered in diamonds. .

A watch can easily cost a 6-digit amount and can be a real piece of art.
I always try to buy things by brands that have a tradition in the field, which for a watch would be a manufacturer like IWC or Lange.

I agree that a watch does not only serve the purpose to tell you the time. Like a fine jewelery piece like a bracelet or necklace it is a piece of art.

However I do not agree that a watch suggests that you are inferior to other people you might work for. Being on time is a gesture of politeness and not a symbol of prestige. Just my opinion.

There are many classic gold timepieces without diamonds that are very serviceable to tell time, including
Cartier, Patek & others that are not even as high priced as designer watches if that's the catefory
you want to be in. There are also fashion watches that provide style that are not such a
significant investment.
While phones do serve a purpose, IMO a watch is a lovely accessory to have.
It's nice to have a beautiful watch on your wrist & its also nice to celebrate a milestone in ones life
with a more special watch with perhaps diamonds.
Would choose a watch any day over a handbag

Watch but only if is mechanical/automatic from a well-known Swiss watchmaker brand. Just some examples Vacheron Constantin, Balmain, Zenith, Jaeger-LeCoultre, IWC, Audemars Piguet. If the watch is with a quartz movement ( with battery) one beautiful handbag is better.

Reactions: miss.winni3
I thought this question was a bit of a silly joke.. but judging from the responses, no one think its silly to ask "more or less prestigious"?

This never has occured to me, maybe because I do not carry my bags or wear my watches to "appear" prestigious (with pressure on -appear-!)!
Since when being working mum or by wirking for someone you may appear less prestigious? Is ghat our life goal to appear "more prestigious " to people? I am truly baffled..

Ps. Buy and wear what makes you happy, dont worry how other see you. Nice bag or watch wil not add value if your personality is ugly and opposite - if you are a nice person, cheaper bag or watch will not make people think less of you. Unless they are certain type of people.. but then, I not care about their opinion.

I created an account just to ask this question. This week, I’ve been considering purchasing a new handbag or a watch. I had this idea that I think may be an unpopular one, but I’d like to see what you ladies think. Is wearing a watch, regardless of brand, less prestigious than not wearing one at all because it suggests you work for people you have to be on time for..? Also, would having a large tote be less prestigious than a tiny bag, because a large bag suggests you may be a working mother or too busy to go home to grab snacks or something? This idea gives me a new perspective on the birkin rage. So should I buy a Gucci mini sylvie or a comparable watch?

Is this actually a student assignment or research? That's what it sounds like, not like someone's authentic shopping concerns...

To me these are irrelevant to what people think of you. Is the way u put yourself together, the way you present yourself. Not many people can recognise all these luxury brand and the authenticity of it.