Bag Lining-which of your bags has the best/worst?

DottySarah

a dotty moment...
O.G.
Feb 4, 2009
Bag lining for me is like sexy underwear, noone might see it but it sure makes you feel good wearing it:P So how important are linings for you and which of your bags has your favourite/least favourite one? Would it affect purchase decision? Tell us what matters - material, colour, print, stitching/glueing, easy to clean, texture, logo'd etc.

The Chloe Marlow with its blue velvet lining and the Fendi Peekaboo with a "peek" at its lining has actually got me excited about that bag more than its exterior. Not only that, I nearly decided on the LV Speedy Damier over the Mono because of its red lining and didnt purchase one MJ because of the black and white cotton logo lining (found it too "happening" inside!). I have even had serious thoughts of having 3 different coloured linings inside, so "red pocket" for the wallet/mobile, "purple" for the extras and so on... kind of a colour coding system though that might be too much for some:P

I don't know why manufacturers don't give more thought to linings. As a buyer I certainly do.

Most favorite linings are in Cole Haan bags. Thick gray silky/satiny jacquard makes me feel like an elegant lady carrying an elegant purse whenever I fish for my Kleenex.

Ickiest linings are in Dooney & Bourke. That heavy nylon pink-and-white weave--eek! It really looks and feels like fiberglass. And the crinkly nylon found in some of their recent bags--double-ick! What were they thinking?

The most fun linings turn up in Betsey Johnson bags. I have two bags with a silky tiger print lining with hot pink accents around the pockets--and a little gold rose charm safety-pinned to a pocket. Now that's the equivalent of wearing sexy underwear!

I love the leopard-print lining of my Dolce and Gabbana pebbled leather satchel. It always gives me a lift. I haven't posted a pic though as you can't see the lining since the bag is closed! But I know there are other great linings out there, in bags I don't own. I think the D&G would be hard to beat. Most UN-interesting lining is Balenciaga's plain black, IMO. But I still love my Bbags.

I like the satin linings in Coach leather bags, and the other day I saw a Kate Spade bag with a gorgeous rose patterned lining (but I didn't buy it because I didn't like the outside of the bag!) I agree on the Dooney and Bourke, I like their bags otherwise, but I don't have any because the lining is so icky.

This is a good point. I think I do think about lining, but never fully realized it until now. I love the red lining in some LV bags. It is gorgeous. I also didn't like the silk lining of Coach bags when I used to own them. Although pretty--Hard to clean IMO.

Love the suede lining in my Zac Posen. Only downside is that I'm more paranoid about getting the lining dirty than the purse itself since it will be so hard to clean.

Same here. I confess to having put one of those A4 plastic pockets at the bottom of my Speedy, it keeps the shape intact and the lining clean - plus its clear plastic so you dont notice it much:graucho:

I'd have to say that my medium signature Zoe by Coach has the most Beautiful blue satin lining....My bag is the Black siggy and the inside is just Gorgeous..I only buy Coach, so most of their linings are pretty!!!!:biggrin:

The leather linings in Chanel's are divine. All of my other bags have fabric linings but the first MJ's had suede which is lovely too. My Marc by Marc Jacobs bag has fun bright lining which I really like, an unassuming black leather bag with a fun bright patterned lining, my own little secret.

Think that the "lining" of the bag is a very important deal.. as do agree that

handbag designers should pay more attention to the inside as well as the outside

I love the Hermes bags that can be SO in a contrast color.. and just recently

got a BV bag with a suede lining.. those details make a difference

Really like the soft, sand-coloured leather linings of my Chloe clutches and am particularly fond of suede linings, too (my earlier Chloe clutch has a suede lining and I also have an older BV with one).

For practicality, I like cotton twill (most non leather-lined Chloes have this).

I have an Anouschka - they are all handpainted and so beautiful. I bought it online (it has a lotus painted on it and a Buddha - I was in love). The lining is that crappy black satiny stuff (reminds me of "knock off" bags). The bag wasn't cheap, and the lining just ruins it for me! Ugh!