Bag for trip to Paris - are mono / logo bags considered tacky?

BagLady14

O.G.
Dec 15, 2005
I am going on a trip to London, Paris, & river cruise to Normandy in mid September. I have been reading online about the weather, what to pack, etc and also read that LV in monogram is considered to be in your face and too loud in France. Is this true? How about DE? I was considering bring my Pochette Metis. (I'm looking at it thinking how such a cute little bag could be loud) ?? Maybe Epi is better? I do own one plain black leather Coach. Any French women out there who could give their take on this?

"Too loud and tacky" -So what? I couldn't care less. Wear what you like, and don't pay too much attention to others opinion. You will probably never meet those people again, ever! ;)

I read it in the forum. I also read that Channel is not popular by the French for political reasons. Nazi associations? Also that Longchamps la pliage is very popular for French women, although I have one of those and it's made in China. I'm just going to bring my Pochette Metis. I think it will be easy to carry around all day and still fit everthing I need. I'll bring my Chinese la pliage in case the weather is bad. And the DE Eva. Its so hard to just bring a couple of bags since I am used to changing bags every couple of days. Also, I want to buy a bag while I'm there.

Good thing you bought these bags for you and not for them.

As for the French not wearing Chanel for political reasons...some Americans don't patronize Jane Fonda's movies for political reasons but it'd still be crazy for someone to generalize the sentiment of an entire country. There are thousands of examples like that, my husband is a diplomat and if I dressed to please the masses in every country I've ever visited, I'd explode. As long as you're not offending anyone, I say wear what you love and also what's convenient, and what makes you happy.

Haha funny post... why does it bother you what people think? You will see your fair share of monogram in England. ..

Don't worry about what other nationalities think about you and your bags.... wear what you love with pride, believe me whatever handbag you wear most people will adore.

Good thing you bought these bags for you and not for them.

As for the French not wearing Chanel for political reasons...some Americans don't patronize Jane Fonda's movies for political reasons but it'd still be crazy for someone to generalize the sentiment of an entire country. There are thousands of examples like that, my husband is a diplomat and if I dressed to please the masses in every country I've ever visited, I'd explode. As long as you're not offending anyone, I say wear what you love and also what's convenient, and what makes you happy.

+1 :tup:

I wholeheartedly agree with Dorf and ChocoAvantGarde - you did not buy your bags with anyone else in mind so why should you care what any one thinks? Believe me as a tourist you will stick out like a soar thumb any way so the bag is not going to make any difference (by this I mean they will know you are visiting). Wear what makes you happy and leave it at that. The only approval you need is from the big guy above (which you have by the way) other than that no one else matters.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Reactions: anetti
I carry my monogram in France and I see others do the same. Carry what you are going to be comfortable carrying all day in all sorts of different climates.

Enjoy Normandy, that is my favorite part of France.

I wholeheartedly agree with Dorf and ChocoAvantGarde - you did not buy your bags with anyone else in mind so why should you care what any one thinks? Believe me as a tourist you will stick out like a soar thumb any way so the bag is not going to make any difference. Wear what makes you happy and leave it at that. The only approval you need is from the big guy above (which you have by the way) other than that stop looking for others approval. It is not needed!

Enjoy your trip!

I already said I am bringing my monogram. I don't need approval but I do tend to dress rather conservatively with mostly solid colors. Many times my monogrammed LV is my only print but I am bringing my tiny collection of nice scarves to add some color, then I read some posts and watched videos on how to pack. I DO dress for the climate and the situation even at home. Sometimes that means no monogram at home for certain events either. I am anything but loud so was surprised that a brown LV would be considered loud.

Other considerations for me are the size bag I need. Does it rain a lot in Paris in the fall? Do I need a waterproof bag which will fit umbrella, etc.

Also are the busses, metro a dirty environment? Do I need to have a bag large enough for a sweater?

Have you been to these cities at this time of year? I am trying hard not to overpack.

I am curious in everything about bags. So I am interested in whether the French turn up their noses at a mono print , but this will not determine which bags I decide to take.

I am really torn between bring either Pochette Metis or Besace Rosebery or a canvas speedy. I considered Epi but decided - no. Don't want any extra weight.

PS - I approve of myself, wholeheartedly. Too old to do otherwise. No worries.

I read it in the forum. I also read that Channel is not popular by the French for political reasons. Nazi associations? Also that Longchamps la pliage is very popular for French women, although I have one of those and it's made in China. I'm just going to bring my Pochette Metis. I think it will be easy to carry around all day and still fit everthing I need. I'll bring my Chinese la pliage in case the weather is bad. And the DE Eva. Its so hard to just bring a couple of bags since I am used to changing bags every couple of days. Also, I want to buy a bag while I'm there.

I was in Paris in February and did not bring any LV bags. The reason is that I was walking 8 hrs a day and taking pictures. So for me a LV bag would not work but when I go to Las Vegas or Florida I bring my LV bags and wear what I like. I also always bring my Longchamp Le Pliage on all my trips. When it's raining you happy that you did. So I vote for the pochette Métis with one Le Pliage bag.

I wholeheartedly agree with Dorf and ChocoAvantGarde - you did not buy your bags with anyone else in mind so why should you care what any one thinks? Believe me as a tourist you will stick out like a soar thumb any way so the bag is not going to make any difference. Wear what makes you happy and leave it at that. The only approval you need is from the big guy above (which you have by the way) other than that stop looking for others approval. It is not needed!

Enjoy your trip!

I am not too sure I get what you are saying when you say that as a tourist you will 'stick out like a soar thumb'. In Paris we did not look any different than the people on the street.

Also I think it was nice of her to ask opinions here. Just my 2 cents.

Hi Baglady14,
I'm sure you're excited to be planning for your trip. Love Paris, it's such a beautiful city...though it's been awhile since I was last there. I hear you on the right bag for travel. I'm contemplating that myself. I think the pochette metis would work great. Can always keep an extra packable tote in it in case you should need one.
I did a quicky search and found this link that shares some good insight: http://goparis.about.com/od/parisbymont1/a/Paris_September.htm
Have fun planning your trip!
Ps. Both my neighbor and sister in law both went to Normandy and Paris recently, they had wonderful things to say...how could you not right :smile:

Actually Fall is quite nice weather wise - umbrella. I would take the métis. Again wear what you will be comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using PurseForum

Last edited: