Bag for my mom for mother's day...help!

My mother is in her late 60s and doesn't wear any designer bags. I have been trying to convince her that wearing one is a good thing, but she lived through WW2 in Germany, and the memories of poverty, despite her solid financial state now, prevent her from enjoying luxuries. However I she is also the kind of woman who says no when she really means "yes".

Example:
"Mom do you want me to bring you some take out?"
"No!"
20 minutes later I give her take out.
"Oh yummy! Very good," she exclaims.

So, she likes soft leather. She must have a zipper. It must be shoulder carrying enabled, and not be too big. She has mostly gold jewlery, so gold hardware would work best. I am thinking something mature and timeless. Maybe the YSL Muse in medium black? (I have noticed though, that some of these bags have loose threads, has anyone experienced this?) Or something at Gucci? Any ideas?

Thanks everyone!

I am wondering about a Celine bag. Kind of plain styles, but still very elegant and understated. I know that the hardware depends on the style of the bag, but it would be worth a look.

Hi ArtofAcquisition, must it be a shoulder bag? This Michael Kors looks really nice, but it isn't a shoulder bag:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/10138188/c/3.html
Michael Kors Concrete Jungle Satchel $301-95
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva]Sleek satchel style handbag made of leather.[/FONT]
bluebullet.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva]Dual rounded handles.[/FONT]
bluebullet.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva]Front exterior top flap pocket.[/FONT]
bluebullet.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva]Antique gold tone hardware.[/FONT]
bluebullet.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva]Contrast stitching.[/FONT]
bluebullet.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva]Top zip closure.[/FONT]
bluebullet.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva]Interior lining with a back wall zip pocket, cell phone slip pocket and PDA slip pocket.[/FONT]
bluebullet.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva]Dimensions: 13" wide x 3 1/2" deep x 9" high.[/FONT]
bluebullet.gif
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Geneva]Handles: 5" length.[/FONT]

omg the perfect bag either a mono or damier alma, classical timeless and she should remeber seeing it as she grew up, (the sa also told me chanel designed it for lv, so u have 2 designer items in one!) this is the bag im buying my mother in the mono, but i know she loves it, becuase your mother is older i suggest the damier, the epi line is also so beautiful!
monogram canvas:
http://images.eluxury.com/assets_server/product/10022705/p10022705_ph_hero.jpg
p10022705_ph_hero.jpg

damier canvas:
p10467843_ph_hero.jpg

Epi (other colours avaliable though the hardwear is silver)
p10260279_ph_hero.jpg

Ummm, for zipper bags I would recommend the luxury bowler: http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/luxury-line-colors-available-for-medium-bowler-14088.html

I was going to recommend the black classic flapbag chanel in lambskin, but it doesn't have a zipper or the reissue on lambskin

Or you can always get the chanel here (but its not really zipper)....: http://forum.purseblog.com/celebrity-section/new-victoria-beckham-pics-in-nyc-16434.html

Ummmmm I hope that helps? :smile: Sorry I couldnt really find zipper like ones that would be very classic

How about a Bottega Veneta hobo. The leather on those bags is buttery soft and the style is classic. My mother has a dark brown one and it looks lovely on her.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I ended up showing my mother some photos for mother's day and allowing her to choose, should she want, and giving her a $300 gift card in addition. I doubt she will go for it however. I think the last Coach bag shown by Kiari was the closest to her style. It needs to be soft leather, and a shoulder style. Anything handheld like the LVs would not work. Thanks anyway though!

TheArtofAcquisition, sorry for missing this thread.
Based on your descriptions (soft leather & shoulder bag), LV handhelds are no-no. I can't think right now, will post if anything comes up. =)