Bag buying: NEW ONE IN, ONE BAG OUT?

I was once into consignment stores - buy a new bag, head to the consignment with things to sell. Always lost $ selling my things. Now I just make very careful purchases of bags.

I was once into consignment stores - buy a new bag, head to the consignment with things to sell. Always lost $ selling my things. Now I just make very careful purchases of bags.

i completely agree with that. in my case we have a reseller of designer bags here and he buys the bags too to resell and i always end up with lost $$$ BUT sometimes I think its better to dispose it now rather than wait for a long time and to further loose its value ;)

I got a bunch of bags that I will probably donate to a charity yard sale or sale if I ever have a yard sale. They are ones that I used to carry but don't really like the design-too open and easy for stuff to fall out. They are not purses with any resale value but still be good for someone to use for a while.
:idea:

This is a definite no for me! The only bags I have ever gotten rid of are cheap and trendy ones that I don't use anymore. I believe high-quality bags in good condition are always good to hang on to because even if you don't use them now, they could easily cycle back into rotation. Same goes for shoes.

I also change my bag to match the color and formality of my outfit, so I am making a new decision about which bag to use at least once every day, and sometimes even twice if I go out in the evening. I'm not one to just stick with the same bag for weeks at a time while the others sit around.

I do have a limited amount of storage space, but I can certainly store the 30 or so bags I own with no trouble, and I feel each one serves a unique purpose in my wardrobe. If I had hundreds, that might be a problem!

Having not bought anything for ages, I had a bit of a splurge in November and December, and realised that there was a lot lurking in my cupboards in the way of bags no longer loved nor really my style. I am such a hoarder that I had a load of Mulberrys, Luellas and a stray Fendi or two from my carefree 20s. As I felt guilty about my expensive purchases in the autumn, I sold these bags to make me feel a bit less indulgent. I didn't feel regret because I knew I would never use them again and it did make the buying of new bags more reconcilable with my nagging conscience!

This is generally my policy as I like to stay under 20. It's my policy with clothing and shoes as well. There are a certain number of wooden hangars and I'm not buying more, so if something new comes in, something has to come out of the closet. Also, the shoes are boxed and labelled and they have their space as well. God, I'm so rigid!

No, I love all of my bags too much to do so. I also view my purses as a collection and one that chronicles my style so I don't think I could ever get rid of one. If one gets too worn or starts to fall apart I would get rid of it, but I think that's the only circumstance in which I would do so.

Nope, not for me. I can't imagine ever getting rid of any of my bags. I do try not to get too many that are similar though so I still use all of them at least a few times a year.

I have two rules:

1) i can't have 2 bags in the same color
2) I haven't used it for awhile or see no need to

A friend of mine had this 6 bag rule and she was always driving herself crazy because she constantly wanted new bags and had a hard time letting go of a bag.

I also think that if I don't use a bag, i'd rather sell it cheap because it's losing money sitting in my closet.