Bag Bans... dumb?

OP - Can you share your views as to why your friends think bans are stupid? Also, how do you feel about it personally?

it's not really my friends that think that--it's just a comment i've read on here a few times, so i don't know why they think that way.

my own opinion though is that as long as someone is responsible with his or her money (pays bills on time, has a steady/regular income, isn't living paycheck to paycheck, doesn't have crazy debt, etc) and is able to afford or finance his/her hobbies, then life is too short to go on bans.

it's not really my friends that think that--it's just a comment i've read on here a few times, so i don't know why they think that way.

my own opinion though is that as long as someone is responsible with his or her money (pays bills on time, has a steady/regular income, isn't living paycheck to paycheck, doesn't have crazy debt, etc) and is able to afford or finance his/her hobbies, then life is too short to go on bans.

I wouldn't call bans stupid, I think the more appropriate term would be pointless. I see quite a few of posters claim they go on a ban and then I see them breaking this "supposed" ban like a week later. Not that I care or anything or keep a track, it's just that these posters make it easy for others to notice: " I'm soooo on a ban, or I'm so insanely broke and banned" so it's kind of funny that these same people find it cute to break their bans and then share it like it's something to be proud of.

For once, it's sort of diminishes their credibility as posters - someone claimes to be insanely broke so that they can barely pay rent yet somehow afford another handbag a mere few days later.

But like others said, to each their own and I think that whatever works for someone is the best way to go :smile:

Last edited:
I'm on a ban and not by choice either! But deep down I think its a good thing, since I am pretty happy with my collection. However if I won the lotto, do you think I'll still be on a ban....... hell to the NO!! So ya I think bans are dumb specially when someone puts you on one! (ahem DH)

I dont have any self control. Self imposed bans dont really work on me cos for some reason I will always talk my way into buying the things im itching for. But not to the point where im foregoing paying bills, rent and food.

I view bag bans as the shopping version of starvation dieting. It's a tempting quick fix, but it never works over the long term, and usually as soon as the ban/diet is over, you inevitably go on a mad binge that pretty much puts you back where you started (^(oo)^)v

I don't ban myself from anything. If I want a new bag I make it a rule that I have to sell another OR I need to have the funds for it. I try not to have alot of money tied up in a bunch of bags.

telling myself that i'm on a ban helps me stay on track. it's not that i don't have the funds to keep shopping, but i've simply acquired more than enough and more than i even have room to store. i'd rather use my money for more functional things since i've hoarded enough clothes, bags, and shoes to last me quite some time. before, i was buying whatever i wanted and whatever i liked, and now i have bags i haven't even used but felt i "had to have." now i see how pointless that was.

:yes: This is the reason for my "ban", albeit it'd be more properly called a "slowdown". At one point, I was buying something like 2-4 bags a month. Could I afford the bags? Yes, but I didn't really need them. They were "empty calorie" bags i.e. I didn't really want them, but I bought them mostly b/c they were there.

My ban is just me reining in the spending a bit.

i don't know that I think they are stupid...I guess it is a verbal or written declaration of ones intend to change recent behavior...which then must be put into practice. And therein is the problem....easier said than done.

I have tried bans / broke bans and currently have found a strange grey area for me ....purge excess bags bought on binge and go on ban, with the exception that any bag that I might be tempted to break ban with must be purchased tax free and no ebay / consignment purchases. Which yes there are ways to obtain bags tax free...but while some are easy BG ships tax free, others might be more of a hassle. So, should I break a ban - I will not feel as bad since I would have had to get it tax free...so I would have saved a bit.

But I want to go on a ban and focus on other things.:smile:

I try doing lots of bans like shoes, bags, clothes, books, etc. and it'll last for a bit but usually not for long. After I buy something, I tend to do a major purge of items. Bans are helpful for some people who feel they need it.

Usually when I state that I am on a ban, it is because I am in the process of saving for my next purchase. The ban just helps me keep my eye on the prize instead of getting sidetracked with other little things from gourmet food, makeup, or the other little things that can really stall the savings goal. I think that's probably what the majority of people here use the "bans" for; I know some people are actual shopping addicts and the ban is to try to curb that, but I believe that is a rarity.