Baffled by Fakes...

louislover260

Jan 16, 2008
Yes, I know what you're thinking... "oh joy, another fake thread..."

But I had to rant, and this was the only place to do it.

As many of you know, I started my new job in the beginning of August (hence why I have lacked in tPF participation for the past month.

Anyway, where I work we all make good money, $14.50 to $26.00 an hour. And it seems alot of the guys and girls carry alot of Coach. And in the three weeks that I have worked here, I have only seen 2 authentic Coach bags. TWO! Out of at least 15 Coach bags that I have seen....

We make the money! Why not buy the real deal!??! And to top it all off, the girl that is over my department, carries a FAKE Coach Speedy, and she makes alot of money! And to top that off, her best friend thatt works with us carries a fake Burberry!

HA HA! Good thing I didn't base this job off of the bags, I would have been out the door the first day!

lol... sorry! Had to have a quick rant!:tup:

OH GOSH!!! I sure hope not! I would be really mad if I ever found an invite on my desk!

I actually have been invited and went to one (didn't buy any fakes, though!!!). I don't get it either. I think if I can't afford Coach I would just get Nine West or Liz or Guess, I mean you can get those for less than the fakes and they are better quality...duh! Fakes are beyond tacky! I wonder if you should ask your co-workers very innocently..."oh, so you like Coach too?" and see what they say...:shrugs:

I actually have been invited and went to one (didn't buy any fakes, though!!!). I don't get it either. I think if I can't afford Coach I would just get Nine West or Liz or Guess, I mean you can get those for less than the fakes and they are better quality...duh! Fakes are beyond tacky! I wonder if you should ask your co-workers very innocently..."oh, so you like Coach too?" and see what they say...:shrugs:

so true. A few years ago when i was still financially struggling, my purse obsession was focused on Nine West and Liz clairbourne. I still have a couple of those in my closet and they are still in great condition.

A few people i know are surprised when they find out how inexpensive some coach items are when on sale or at the outlet. For some reason they are under the impression that it's always full priced so they just buy the fakes.

I can never understand why people buy fakes when they can get a real coach bag at the outlet. I have seen some truly horrible fakes in my area. There is an outdoor fleamarket and they sell TONS of fake bags. All the big designers. I don't understand how they get away with it. There is also a consignment store that sells fakes. The owner claims they are real, they're not. She charges $120.00 for a fake.
I am sorry to say that I am kinda glad that I had to trade in my fraying carly because that is the one bag I see the most fakes of. Its frightening how much some of these bags look like the real deal. If not for the cheap "hardware" you wouldn't know. You can always tell by the turnlock on the "leather" straps. At least I know zoe and hamptons leather won't be faked for awhile if at all.

Sig Carly fakes are everywhere!!! The hardware and cracked pleather straps are always a dead giveaway. Also, the fabric seems to actually atract dirt.
Louislover- carry your bags proud! You seem to be out numbered.

I need to preface this by saying I am not at all condoning the buying of the fake bags... but just because you know someone makes good money does not neccessarily = loads of free cash to buy $400+ bags.

I made pretty decent money as an intern ($15/hr - the most I ever made in college, I swear I thought I hit the jackpot!! LOL) but even then I had a lot of other expenses that some of my friends didn't have. Same goes for my first big kid job - I was making way more than I did as an intern, but once again, other expenses that didn't allow me to go hog wild at the mall on a whim.

With that said, I think if they are not in a situation where they can spend $400+ on a bag, they ought to check out the outlets or consider a Nine West or something instead of getting a fake bag.

ITA on the fake Carlys! They have bred and multiplied into a billion ugly bast**d babies! I see ppl carrying these at the mall every time I go. This, plus the fraying issue, is what keeps me away from them. Which is too bad because it is a cute design :sad:

Ewwww.....they probably do have purse parties:yucky: I was just at a company party for my husband's work, and I saw from a far a women had a black "hamptons tote," so I strolled over to her and said, "is that a Coach?" She threw it in my face (when I got a lovely closer look, and saw it was definitely fake) and said "haha! I didn't even know what Coach WAS until I went to a purse party last week! I got it for a discount." :nogood: Poor thing probably didn't even know it was fake, or that those are at the outlet I think for probably $30 more than what she paid:wtf:

With that said, I think if they are not in a situation where they can spend $400+ on a bag, they ought to check out the outlets or consider a Nine West or something instead of getting a fake bag.

If they really want a Coach bag that costs $400 - they can always save up for one. Then again, it's all about whether they value a real bag or not regardless of how much money they make. Some people only care about the name they are carrying and couldn't care less about the quality of the bag itself. They just don't value it.

Some people don't understand the concept that it is better to buy 1 good classic bag that will last than 2 or 3 fakes that will fall apart. Others are naive and just don't know. I know there was a time when I did not realize how many fakes were out there. About 8 or 9 years ago I saw a woman with what I thought was a pink leather Coach bag. I asked her where she got it and she said she sold them. Hmmm. Well, I went to a Coach store and asked if they had a pink one and they said they did not have that color.