Bad week with eBay purchases

Gabs007

Sofa King Banned
Feb 5, 2018
I bought a few things, nothing too expensive on eBay because I was mostly laid up in bed and a bit bored, figured I best avoid designer sites or I might press a button and end up with something really expensive, so I decided to buy a pair of Burberry jeans on eBay, they are real but they smell like they have been steeped in an ashtray for a few years, spent the weekend washing and rewashing them, that cold nicotine smell won't come out, I actually left a positive review as I thought I could get rid of the smell With 'Nice item but very strong nicotine smell' next thing you know I get an enraged email calling me every name in the book, she doesn't smoke (well, that seems weird because the smell is still pungent), I'm a liar, I am a mom on welfare with 50 children (I think I might have noticed having even one) and fat (yes, luv, that is why I wear a jeans size 26), can't afford to buy stuff in shops, all laced with profanities and how dare I give her a bad review (which I didn't). After telling her that I wasn't insulting, nor did I leave a bad review, but I have washed it 3 times already, in case the smell doesn't come out in the next 2 washes, I will return, that I don't care if she smokes or doesn't but I am not going to wear an item with that smell and if she would have disclosed it, I wouldn't have bought it. Well, I ended up reporting her to ebay after she left a very insulting feedback and sent me more insults, they removed her feedback and I can ignore the messages she is still sending (at one point she is going to get tired if she gets no response), I am returning but she refuses to issue a return label, so I guess I wait it out and then let ebay decide.
2 items weren't even shipped, seller doesn't respond (I get it things can happen but usually 2 weeks is quite long), 2 items arrived and are perfectly fine, one pair of trainers was sold as "lightly used" but has a massive rip in the upper and one item is totally fake, down to the point of even being totally different to the one that was pictured on eBay. They weren't even top end brands where you're naturally a bit more careful, more just usually good quality, higher end stuff but really nothing outrageous.

I thought they tightened their ship a bit? Upon browsing I also noticed a bunch of items where they blatantly stated that those are "very good fakes" hence the high price, reported them - nothing.

eBay also seems to have moved their support center to a place where they barely speak English, somebody read through the messages she sent me and claimed "it is an aggressive tone" when I said she is really harrassing me - I pointed out that it's less the tone and more the insults and profanities I have a problem with (they were quite strong).

• Wow
Reactions: 880
I would not want to be dealing with a seller like this..
I would also not want to be wearing jeans with a smell that just doesn't want to come clean.
Ebay can be very subjective about "smell".. be prepared that your request may be denied
As far as the other items not being shipped & poor communication, an INR can be filed which I'm sure you know
but that is not the point
Descriptions sadly are not always as accurate as we would like.. sorry for your unpleasant experiences

Reactions: 880 and Gabs007
I would not want to be dealing with a seller like this..
I would also not want to be wearing jeans with a smell that just doesn't want to come clean.
Ebay can be very subjective about "smell".. be prepared that your request may be denied
As far as the other items not being shipped & poor communication, an INR can be filed which I'm sure you know
but that is not the point
Descriptions sadly are not always as accurate as we would like.. sorry for your unpleasant experiences

She accepted the return but is now gloating about not sending me a return label... Tbh I think eBay will issue one, because even if the smell would come out, I want nothing she ever had....

I know, I did request returns on the fake item and the ripped shoes, always with pictures so they see I am not making stuff up, sent the sellers who haven't sent another message, I just don't want to impact their account if there is a chance they might be ill.

There are really a lot of good eBay sellers, but sometimes the rubbish is just a bit much, but you know what it is like, you are sick but not so sick that you sleep all the time, so you're in bed with an iPad and rather eBay and getting some dog walking items than going on NetAPorter or MyTheresa, etc....

Btw the "lovely seller" of the jeans, totally odd, she signs her missiles with one name, return address is another name, PayPal address is yet another one, I did a quick google, found their FaceBook pages, so much for not smoking, about every picture with a cigarette and a can of beer in clothes much too tight (you can almost hear the buttons and seams scream for mercy) and a lot of flesh and bad spray tan on display, I can't say I am surprised after she showed herself as so "classy" - I wonder what she says to people who actually do give her a bad feedback... I honestly should have looked at her feedback closer, the signs were all there but for a an item of around 10 and on the iPad with the app, it is a bit of an effort, it was one of those things that pop up and eBay says "ends in 2 minutes"

I was just really surprised because I thought eBay has tightened up a bit to avoid all the hassle with misleading descriptions and tries to keep fakes away, but if you report them and nothing happens, I guess it was just a bit of lip service.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: CathMc and 880
were these horrible sellers who didn't ship or shipped you ripped jeans new sellers? How's their ratings? I can't imagine sellers like that can survive too long on ebay?

I'm confused about several things surrounding the jeans purchase.

1. What type of dispute/return request did you file? If it was a return request for anything other than SNAD, the seller doesn't pay for return shipping. Other return requests are considered to be remorse and in fact, sellers without return policies aren't obligated to accept remorse returns.
2. I have to tell you that you made mistakes with the jeans. Once you washed them (and I do understand why you did it), the seller isn't obligated to take a return and ebay won't back you up because you've altered (changed the condition of) the jeans.
3. When someone sends nasty emails, just use the report button. Never respond because that just feeds the abuser. She's looking for a reaction and your response is giving her that.

I'm confused about several things surrounding the jeans purchase.

1. What type of dispute/return request did you file? If it was a return request for anything other than SNAD, the seller doesn't pay for return shipping. Other return requests are considered to be remorse and in fact, sellers without return policies aren't obligated to accept remorse returns.
2. I have to tell you that you made mistakes with the jeans. Once you washed them (and I do understand why you did it), the seller isn't obligated to take a return and ebay won't back you up because you've altered (changed the condition of) the jeans.
3. When someone sends nasty emails, just use the report button. Never respond because that just feeds the abuser. She's looking for a reaction and your response is giving her that.

Actually eBay did close in my favour, finally but told me in the future to not try and wash.

I really don't do remorse returns, if it is not to my taste, I am OK with it, my mistake, if it is damaged, stinks to high heaven or is a fake, that is not my mistake.

There is no report button on the emails anymore, I sent her 1 response, telling her that it is not a bad feedback, that triggered a flood of messages with abuse that I didn't respond to, as I said.

were these horrible sellers who didn't ship or shipped you ripped jeans new sellers? How's their ratings? I can't imagine sellers like that can survive too long on ebay?

The jeans weren't ripped, just stinky, the trainers had a massive rip and another pair of shoes had big brown stains you couldn't see in the picture. Some of them seem to have been on eBay for quite a while but only seem to buy and sell on rare occasions. The jeans woman seems to have gotten quite a few bad feedbacks since the issue arose.

Reactions: onlyk
Actually not too bad, eBay refunded the smelly jeans (they said in the future to not wash them as it is the obligation of the seller to send a clean item) and I will drop them off at a charity shop, the ripped trainers the seller refunded with a huffy message that they were offered as used and I replied that I don't expect a used item to be pristine but a massive rip in the uppers is another story and I happily send back if they issue a return label, alternatively they can tell me their charity of choice and I happily hand it over and will send them the picture of it so they know I did it, the 2 items that weren't sent, they finally replied, seems their email filtered out eBay messages or notifications (guess that can happen) the super fake one insists that it is real and I just don't like it, so I offered to use an independent authentication service and the person who is not right pays for it, changed the tune then and said "bought it in good faith from a charity shop" so I said "bought it in good faith on eBay, a bit odd to see that seller didn't even use actual pictures of the item" seller claimed problems with the camera.... I wait that one out, if I get the return label I will of course return, but I am not fronting the return because then I have no leg to stand on and paid for the return. The one with the tons of stains and discolourations, the pictured really didn't show that, seller still claims it is "used" so I wait, I have downloaded the original pictures and unless you zoom in, you don't see that somebody used Photoshop or another program, you actually have to download and then blow them up, which in all honesty, I find a bit deceptive and not honest. Btw the pictures are the ones I took, the pictures they put up, you only see slight wear on the soles.

IMG_4373.JPG

IMG_4374.jpg

IMG_4375.jpg

IMG_4376.jpg

Last edited: