bad weather bags

I'm glad this topic came up....

I'm going on a trip in a few weeks. I have a Clemence Birkin but it's white. I'm thinking of taking it - do you guys think the white would be too risky and can I wipe off immediately if it gets dirty?

The only thing I would worry about is color transfer ... either with your jeans rubbing or in a dirty wall, or something like that. Otherwise, I think clemence is a pretty good leather!

I agree--color transfer or scraping while you're shlepping through airports or what have you are the only concerns I can really think of. I tend to travel to either woodsy or beachy places though so for me personally a white Birkin would be a bad idea on my trips. If I were jetting off to Paris in the springtime though, I'd sure love to have one! :love:

Amazonia is not technically waterproof; when it gets wet it turns lighter but pretty much fades back when it dries. I don't know what its durability is in relation to cold temps but in general, after 5-7 years of regular use, it will start to yellow and crack, first in the bendable areas. The wipes and other latex sprays help maintain it but I don't know that the yellowing/cracking is preventable. Would love to know if anyone has an old Amazonia bag that has not shown these signs of age...
I use non-H bags for bad weather, but, if I had to guess which leathers are most weather-resistant, I would say buffalo and epsom.
I don't use the rain-kits, but I do tuck a garbage bag liner in the bottom of a bag if I think there is a chance of rain.

I tend to only buy hardy leathers, as Minnesota can really dish out some weather! So far chevre, togo, fjord and clemence have all handled the rain and snow very well!
As far as rainkits, I've shoved them all in a drawer and never used them.

It rains a LOT in Oregon and I think that eventually when I have an H collection I would use them sparingly, like if it's sprinkling and the like...but for heavy downpours that would break my umbrelly, I'd probably bust out my patent leather hobo as the water falls right off of it!

Several of you have mentioned clemence being great in heavier rains.....so, rain just wipes off, with no problems later?

I need a bad weather leather and I typically wipe my H bags down after they've been in a spot of rain, so the leather needs to be sturdy enough to take rain for a little bit.

Do you think clemence is a good choice?

my togo/clemence (DH can't remember what he ordered) black birkin hled up super well in numerous rain storms. my gold clemence birkin is only a month old, so I do use the rain kit on it...worry the color would darken with rain...and I didn't have that worry with black!

Katel, the only Clemence bag I have is my Evelyne, but it's come through some right nasty weather with nary a peep. It IS black, maybe that has something to do with it, but I even took it out today and had to shlep a bit in sleet and heavy, wet snow--not a mark on the bag, and I didn't even make a conscious effort wipe it off when I made it back to my car.

Never heard of Clemence bubbling up! Yikes that would be a problem.