Bad Urban Outfitters Experience

GelTea

Coupon Code Stalker
O.G.
May 16, 2009
This is for urbanoutfitters.com:

All I wanted was a pair of pants. Gray ones.

I ended up getting the wrong color delivered 3 DIFFERENT TIMES. The same wrong color at that.

The first time, I was sent the wrong color because the inventory sticker was marked incorrectly. Fine. I write that out on the return slip, explain which color I really want.

When I receive the exchanged item, it is the same WRONG color (this time the package is marked correctly though). I send it back. I decide that maybe I should just re-order it from the website instead of waiting the 3 weeks for the exchange to happen. I get my order confirmation, everything looks fine...until I get my shipment confirmation email and it has the WRONG COLOR listed as being shipped.

I call UO CS when I get the shipping confirmation email. The rep says her system still shows the correct color being sent, and offers a courtesy coupon (something like $10). She says wait until I receive the package, the right color might show up.

The next day, I get my package, guess what, WRONG COLOR AGAIN. I call UO again and explain everything. Although I am frustrated, I always try to be calm and hope the person on the other end of the line will do their job and listen patiently. So the worst part of this whole situation is this rep is giving me attitude, cutting me off when I try to explain things, only dictating what is "in the system", which is equivalent to accusing me of lying. I tell her what I think "I feel attitude coming across, I'm the consumer. I'm the one who has been wronged." This seems to help with the attitude. She checks: The color I want is no longer in stock, it is not available in stores, all I can do is return the item. AM I SATISFIED? Hell to the NO. :rant::mad::censor:

The only resolution that they provide is the friggin $10 in UO credit, which Ms. Attitude did not even offer in the first place and which I will not use anyways because I am so done with them. I just decide to use my big fat e-mouth and spread the word...try to keep it classy and carry on.

All I wanted was a pair of pants. Gray ones.

Last edited:
^I was surprised because I've actually heard a lot of good things about UO customer service. The first rep I talked to was actually really patient and offered the courtesy coupon. It was the 2nd rep that killed it.

Yikes...sorry about your bad experience :sad: I've alwayyssss had problems with the people who work in my UO store, but I've never tried ordering anything before. I would have thought they might be more helpful..

Yeah, the problem is, it was never a mistake on my part. I ordered the correct item, marked my return slip correctly, and by the time the transaction had gotten so bad I had to speak to someone, the item was OOS. I understand a mistake would have been made the first time around, even the second, but c'mon, THREE times? And only a $10 credit for 30 minutes on the phone and having to get the package ready for return?
Tsk tsk.

Well, this thread has gotten a good number of views, which does make me feel a little better.

If it weren't for the attitude you got on the phone, it would almost be funny (almost) - it's one of those situations that are so absurd, it's like a sitcom. Maybe you just weren't meant to get those pants in gray.

Did you end up keeping the last pair of pants they sent you?

Similar things have happened to me with different stores. They send wrong colors- I send them back specifying correct colors. They send the same item. Huh? Makes me wonder what kinda people are working the stock rooms?!? :confused1:

I kind of lost interest in them when I realized how crappy their quality is. I spent $60 on a shirt that ended up basically falling apart. I won't spend more than $20 on anything from there from now on.

Sorry to hear about the wrong color item being sent multiple times! That must be beyond frustrating. I had some frustration recently with another company. I ordered 2 pairs of Havaianas and they were both the SAME size. Well the company sent one wrong size! To their credit they got it fixed in one try.
Also, this kind of mistake reminds me a lot of what happens with our favorite designer bag company's special orders. ;) ;)

Gel Tea, I am so sorry - that must have been MADDENING!!! :sad: I actually live a couple of blocks away from UO, but have come to realize that the quality of their items does not match the price by any means...so I say a big fat NO to anything there that's not on clearance.

And after hearing about their stellar CS, I will think twice (make that three times) before buying even that there.

If it weren't for the attitude you got on the phone, it would almost be funny (almost) - it's one of those situations that are so absurd, it's like a sitcom. Maybe you just weren't meant to get those pants in gray.

Did you end up keeping the last pair of pants they sent you?

I know, it was almost unreal. :wacko: It was like an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. No I didn't end up keeping the pants. The pants looked chic in gray, but fuddy-duddy in brown.

TXGirlie, I heard that about our favorite handbag designers special orders ;). After all, monkeys are color blind, hardware colors included. Brown, gray, silver, gunmetal, its all the same smell I guess.