Bad Mulberry Alexa OS Oak?

Advo

O.G.
Sep 2, 2006
Okay, so I finally managed to get my hands on it... yay!

Except...

I'm not really happy with the leather. I know that there seems to be some good Alexas and some bad, I just don't quite know what mine is. I guess, I just expected the leather to be more smooth? I also think the leather is very thin on the sides and feels plastic-ky?

What do you guess think?

Attachments

• DSC04408_2.JPG
    DSC04408_2.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 2,424
  • DSC04401.JPG
    DSC04401.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 2,629
Its personal choice Advo- they are all very different I prefer non shiny and wrinkled- if YOU arent happy Id say send it back? its such an expensive bag it has to make your heart ping when you receive it

^I suppose that is true, but I did hear about several Alexas in Oak which had bad leather? I just don't know if mine has the "bad" leather that I noticed some other Alexa owners talking about? Wrinkles aside which isn't really my kind of thing, I'm also disappointed by how thin the leather is on the sides and it feels very plastic-ky on those parts as well. For such an expensive bag, I don't want to not be 100% happy about it, but I'm not sure if I'm just being nitpicky?

Hi Advo,

I recieved my OS oak a few days ago and have been asking myself the same question, for me i am sure i am being SO picky because it is such an expensive "must have". I keep looking at it and wish i had been able to compare 3 or 4 instore... mine looks similar to yours, but i keep thinking that with age it will only improve the leather... maybe i am just trying to convince myself not to part with her !!

I think, with Alexa there might have been a "new emperor's clothes" effect. The quality of the leather is outrageous! As simple as that (please forgive me those lucky Alexa owners who managed to get better looking leathers, I really do not want to disappoint you). Mulberry are trying to maximise profits - the leather is just horrible. I specially looked at all the range of designer bags as Harrods - I could not find a single brand who would allow themselves to sink to that quality of leather. However, at Debenhams, or Carvela at HoF the similar quality is quite normal. But the prices are 10 times lower...
I am soory for this rant - but before I did not have any designer items except my Mulberry bags. By now, after seeing Alexa, I cheated on Mulberry with Gucci, Zagliani, Anya Hindmarch, Nancy G..... and feel good about it. Maybe, today is the best time to sell Mulberry shares...
Off I go to look at my peeling rouge-noir bays...

I would certainly send it back! You will never really love the bag after this bad first impression. Far too expensive for something that doesn't make you happy!

Hi, sorry that your new Alexa doesn't make your heart sing.
Personally i had quite an experiance trying to get the perfect ink Alexa. In total i must have ordered 6/7 from various places before i found the one i have now.
The leather on my inky is very smooth, thick and has a gloss to it.
I think you should return your Alexa and try to find one with leather that you like as they vary so much. Oak is still being made so i'm sure that there will be new one's available soon.

I agree with those who say return it. For the price you have to love it. anything less than this and you are wasting money. Ol alexa make me feel like a princess when i put it on. With my pink leopard alexa i got a few stores to email me pics before i bought. Some left me cold (ugly prints). When Glasgow store sent me a pic of the one they had my heat surged when i opened the photo! My brain turned to mush and i was straight on the phone and it was bought in under a minute, lol. Now it is mine and i worship at the alter of that bag, lol. It is both lust and love.

Please return yours and look around more. maybe oak alexa does not do it for you but another bag will. make sure that you get maximum pleasure and happiness return for your money. that would be my humble advice xx

Oh I do absolutely love the Alexa bag's design. It's just the leather on this bag that has me hesitating - in particular because of the high price tag. I recently receive my Phillip Lim Edie Bow bag and the second I unwrapped it, I was completely in love. When I received the OS Alexa, I must admit, my immediate reaction was disappointment.

I think I will return this and look for a new one with leather more my taste. I was just worried that the Oak would go out of production but when I popped into the Mulberry store, they assured me that it wasn't. I can wait a little while longer for the perfect Alexa OS bag.

Thanks for all the good advice! :biggrin:

Oak is an awful hard colour to replicate the "darwin, nvt" effect.
I don't even think Pebbled and Spongy managed it. I saw one Oak alexa that I wish i'd bought. It was matte and wrinkly. The shiny oak doesn't work for me unless it's a shine that has been generated by age and use. Trouble with Darwin is that it would increase the weight.
What about goatskin? I haven't seen it in oak but Nude, Camel or Beige would be lovely.

I saw two in Tunbridge Wells and they did feel plastiky just poor quality leather. I think more bags in Darwin would be great I don't mind the weight. My choc roxy is Darwin and she is lovely! x